Forums

Help › Forums

Like hitting the lottery with our cars

Sun, Sep 27 2015 8:02 AM (7 replies)
  • srellim234
    2,077 Posts
    Fri, Aug 28 2015 12:57 PM

We've been really struggling financially for the last 7 years but we've finally dug out and are now on the plus side again with no debts other than the house mortgage. Everyone got 100% of what they were owed so we are able to hold our heads high. So, it was time to replace the 2002 Buick Rendezvous that served us well but hasn't had a functioning heater or air conditioner for over 5 years and a few other cosmetic things that would have cost more to repair than it's worth.

In June we were able to pay cash for a 2006 Toyota Prius with almost  everything (back up camera, navigation, 6-disc CD changer but no leather seats), great maintenance records and 120,000 miles.

Then, three weeks ago, I happened to catch within the first hour of listing it, a Toyota dealer selling a 2003 Toyota Echo in beautiful shape with 114,000 miles. It's an automatic with the rare power windows, power door locks, etc., etc. and again had great service records. Plunked down the cash again and we're using it as our around-town runabout. It's also my wife's 8 mile daily commute to the train station car that sits in the sun all day and we save the Prius for longer drives since it gets over 50 mpg on the highway. A couple of tanks in the Echo is giving us 30.3 mpg around town. :)

As is always the case when you buy used, you take your chances. The day before yesterday I got in the Prius and the warning lights came on. Some reset after the car cooled in the garage but not all. Trip to the dealer. It's the hybrid battery. :(

Normally it's a $4,000+ repair but the battery warranty is 10 years, 150,000 miles. The car has 9 1/2 years, 125,000 miles on it so Toyota is installing a brand new free hybrid battery pack today and tomorrow.

We feel like we've hit the lottery. :)

BTW: We gave the Rendezvous to our son and his family since they are struggling and needed a car. 

• imabgood
    12 Posts
    Sat, Aug 29 2015 4:19 PM

buy american cars gas is 2.25

• petervcpt
    1,013 Posts
    Sun, Aug 30 2015 2:07 AM

@ srellim234: good job man, shot on the warranty battery! And also good karma for giving the old car to your son and his family.

Been there done that, and it's a great feeling when your creditors finally sod off :-)

@ imabgood: Dude, get some class.

• srellim234
    2,077 Posts
    Sun, Aug 30 2015 12:28 PM

imabgood:

buy american cars gas is 2.25

A. Cheapest gas around here just dropped to $3.25 a gallon, not $2.25. 

B. Paying cash we were looking for dependable, affordable and "large enough to put our teenagers in the back seat comfortably" cars. Buying American would have been fine but finding anything American locally to compete with what we purchased wasn't going to happen.

• srellim234
    2,077 Posts
    Sun, Aug 30 2015 12:34 PM

petervcpt:

@ srellim234: good job man, shot on the warranty battery! And also good karma for giving the old car to your son and his family.

Been there done that, and it's a great feeling when your creditors finally sod off :-)   ...

Thank you. Yes, it's a great feeling. I just wish we could help our son even more but we do have ourselves and our two teenagers still at home to watch out for.

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Sun, Aug 30 2015 1:26 PM

SR, you have made my day - a great read and kudos to you sir for not taking the easy way out of financial struggles, like so many do and can.

Lucky with the timing of the battery and I am pleased the warranty was on the battery, and not just the original owner (so often these are limited and voided upon transfer of ownership - credit to Toyota). But I always have believed that good comes to those who work hard and deserve "luck", or karma I suppose.

I do believe in buying locally made, but this is just not always possible, nor financially viable these days. Such is globalisation, as consumers we often buy on price rather than quality (and often cheap imports can be as good if not better than locally made).

I have been lucky to live in many countries and cities and every place has good, every place has bad and indifferent, but the grass is no longer greener on the other side of the fence. It is what you make of it.

SR, I tip my cap to you sir!

As for gas, where I live now it is $2.00 a litre - do a conversion and you will realise $3.25 a gallon isn't so bad lol.

• oneeyedjohn
    9,567 Posts
    Sun, Aug 30 2015 4:00 PM

Petrol in Thailamd is now around 30 baht a litre

about 50 new pence, so just over two pounds a gallon.

Twelve years ago it was 18 baht a litre

• srellim234
    2,077 Posts
    Sun, Sep 27 2015 8:02 AM

Well, the bad luck followed by good luck and karma continues.

Preparing for a 250 mile trip over the weekend I took the Prius in to America's Tire Friday for a tire rotation and spin balance; the tech pick up on a deformity in one of the rims. As luck would have it there was a set of MB Turbo wheels they had taken back that were right for the car. Normally $99 each they offered me the set of 4 for $200, mounted and everything. Turns out they had already loaded them on the truck taking tires and wheels back to the warehouse but they were able to stop the truck heading across the parking lot after I said yes. Who knows, it might have saved myself, my son and my grandson on the open highway yesterday if that wheel had come apart at 70 mph.

My wife decided the Echo wasn't quite what she wanted. It was missing cruise control, alarm system, tinted windows and she wanted a white car.  So we bit the bullet, stretched our budget, my wife picked out a decent used Toyota Yaris sedan that has everything on her want list. It made more sense financially to sell or trade the Echo but instead we gave it to our son in addition to the Rendezvous. We'll make sure we put the money back in the emergency account before we spend any more.

Our son just got promoted a couple of weeks ago to a position that requires travel to locations in 4 different counties out on the desert. The current car he is using for that gets only 20 mpg on the highway and is missing a/c and radio. My wish has been granted to help him out a little more.

BTW, the last two tanks in the Prius have been over 52 mpg.

The soap opera continues.........

RSS