Fri, Apr 19 2024 7:30 AM (36 replies)
  • ScottHope
    10,093 Posts
    Tue, Apr 26 2016 12:40 AM
    ...not far off now   : /

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Tue, Apr 26 2016 1:45 AM

From 40-45 seconds in that vid, the robot looks like me walking home from the pub.

He's better looking than me though...

• ScottHope
    10,093 Posts
    Tue, Apr 26 2016 2:05 AM

Lol, they are very impressive, but until they can remedy the, 'walking with legs bent at the knees', they'll always have the look of someone who, 'needs to find a toilet fairly soon', to me, hehe.

• newcastleb
    1,813 Posts
    Tue, Apr 26 2016 2:23 AM

Very impressive indeed, but every time I see some article or whatever on these, the one thing that always comes to me is...WHY???

Thomas

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Tue, Apr 26 2016 2:37 AM

newcastleb:

Very impressive indeed, but every time I see some article or whatever on these, the one thing that always comes to me is...WHY???

Thomas

What immediately came to my mind was clearing up in dangerous situations - Chernobyl, Fukushima, minefields etc, etc. 

• donsprintr
    2,063 Posts
    Tue, Apr 26 2016 5:12 AM

PaulTon:

newcastleb:

Thomas

What immediately came to my mind was clearing up in dangerous situations - Chernobyl, Fukushima, minefields etc, etc. 

Indeed ... that would be a beneficial use of robots. I'm don't think using remotely controlled robots to wage warfare is such a great idea though. In my opinion, it reduces the operator to the level of a video gamer .

Though I would never wish PTSD on anyone, I think it's notable that a high percentage of these kinds of operators suffer from this disorder. How long do you think the armed forces will wait before they undertake measures to desensitize people from this type of killing. We don't need the military creating more heartless, soulless killers than already exist.

I also don't want a robot giving me a traffic ticket ... lol ...

• ct690911
    7,195 Posts
    Tue, Apr 26 2016 5:33 AM

donsprintr:

Indeed ... that would be a beneficial use of robots. I'm don't think using remotely controlled robots to wage warfare is such a great idea though. In my opinion, it reduces the operator to the level of a video gamer .

Though I would never wish PTSD on anyone, I think it's notable that a high percentage of these kinds of operators suffer from this disorder. How long do you think the armed forces will wait before they undertake measures to desensitize people from this type of killing. We don't need the military creating more heartless, soulless killers than already exist.

Don, I fully agree with your first paragraph.  But, I can't connect the dots in your second one?

ct

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Tue, Apr 26 2016 5:55 AM

Very good post Don.

I think this line is the scariest thought -

donsprintr:
    I also don't want a robot giving me a traffic ticket ... lol ...

Because that, led to this terrifying scenario -

THE R.C.M.P. KAWABOT

• ct690911
    7,195 Posts
    Tue, Apr 26 2016 8:34 AM

Henry can be viewed in different ways, based on his posts. His being a Mountie, or behaving robotically are not legitimate considerations. (IMHO)

ps. cool photo

• WigerToods2010
    8,445 Posts
    Tue, Apr 26 2016 8:55 AM

Dang!  Can't remember what I was about to say.

Once I do...

I'll be back.

RSS