Forums

Help › Forums

Possible Fix For Mihi Problem

rated by 0 users
Tue, Nov 18 2008 9:17 AM (5 replies)
  • nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Mon, Nov 17 2008 5:43 PM

By now I'm sure the WGT staff is aware of the player "Mihi" and his actions idling in and tying up the group "lobby" for hours at a time.  Many players have complained because he has been searching for players but never actually starting the game.  He's probably not even at the computer.

I'm guessing that when you "Create a Group" you are placed in the queue.  This queue probably sends people looking to "Join a Group" based on what groups have been in the queue waiting the longest.  Since Mihi has been in queue for hours upon hours, he's getting first priority to players. 

I sat in his lobby watching people come and go, letting them know they were just wasting their time waiting for him to start.  As soon as one person left, another would fill the spot almost immediately.  I then decided to create my own group. There I sat searching for players for 5 minutes and not one person was directed into my group.  I imagine people were still flying in and out of Mihi's group during that time as they were before.  This supports my 'queue' assumption.

This problem was supposedly addressed yesterday, but unfortunately Mihi is back at it again with little to no regard for the other WGT players.

While sitting in Mihi's lobby I noticed that when a player would finally become fed up and leave, their name box would change from green to red and it would show 'Declined'.  From my point of view, the box would just stay red.  However, when you are the one leading the group, you are shown that it goes back to "Searching for Anyone".  That just leaves the door open for some other poor sucker to get dragged in.

I think the easiest way to fix this problem is to force the host to re-click the search button and not have it done automatically when someone leaves the group.  Once 3 people get tired of waiting and leave, it won't search for new players and it will drop the host out of the queue.

Sorry about all the words, but I wanted to make sure this problem and it's effects are made completely clear to the staff.

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Mon, Nov 17 2008 7:42 PM

I agree with everything posted.

The "Search Again" button should cycle through open groups and not just drop a player right back into the group they just left.

• franksavino
    1 Posts
    Mon, Nov 17 2008 11:35 PM

Right on what he said sounds like a great way to deal with that player or should i say lack of player.please help staff hate to leave really injoy your game

• brotherjukebox
    27 Posts
    Tue, Nov 18 2008 6:53 AM

Sounds like a plan Nivlac! Something has to be done soon,or a lot of people are going to leave this site. Some already have,and this staff has to be more observant to what is happening in here, if they want this game to be a success. Someone has to take the bull by the horns and read these posts more often than they are doing. Most replies are taking 24 hours or more and that's not acceptable.

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Tue, Nov 18 2008 7:53 AM

Just as an addendum to my OP.  In another thread, can't remember off the top of my head now, another player made a suggestion about having possible Player Marshalls. 

Basically the idea behind this is you "tap" a few of the upstanding members of the community (such as tibbits and other well spoken worthy individuals) to just keep an eye on the system.  When a player like Mihi disrupts the entire community, these folks should be empowered to, at the very least, be able to break up a stalled group and get things moving again.  This could be expanded into the forums as well, allowing these 'Marshalls' to act as moderators.  Tasks could include relocating threads posted in the wrong forums, answering the same questions that appear in 10-15 different threads as well as general community promotion... getting current players more involved and bringing in new players too.

I've spent a decent amount of time on Internet forums and if there is only thing I've learned it's that a well moderated forum is a very important key to a successful online community.

The Player Marshall would need to be a completely voluntary position so that the marshalls themselves would still be allowed to compete in WGT tournaments and skill challenges.  I'd be willing to volunteer myself for this duty.

Thanks for the great game! :D

• glhadiator
    39 Posts
    Tue, Nov 18 2008 9:17 AM

I like your plan/suggestions Nivlac. Having participated in many forums and game sites on the internet I agree with your assertion that moderating a site plays a big part in it's success. There are people out there that enjoy nothing more than disrupting and destroying web sites and computers for enjoyment. It would take a psychiatrist to explain why.

Naturally they look for new sites that do not have any protection or monitoring in place. Obviously this one has been found. It would be sad if they were allowed to continue unabated as they have so far.

A quick note to members. We must all keep in mind that it is not WGT doing this to us. If you really love this game as I do then we must do all we can to support WGT against these cowards. I believe that the WGT staff is and will do everything they can to prevent this from destroying what is a great online game concept.

I have pledged and will continue to offer my support in the development of this game and community. If any volunteer work is needed they can count on my support as well.

Glhad

RSS