Forums

Help › Forums

Ball action when landing around green

rated by 0 users
Thu, Jul 30 2015 6:40 PM (5 replies)
  • SetYouGolferName
    5 Posts
    Tue, Jul 28 2015 1:30 PM

I have a dumb question, but I'll give you a little history of where I am. I'm a Tour Pro, Level 83 with a 67.52 average and the starter set - I can't afford to buy credits. Before you get excited, the only reason I'm that low is that WGT puts up free rentals every once in awhile and I borrow the $6 million dollar clubs and shoot amazing rounds and drop my average!

So, because of the crappy clubs, I have to be pretty exact around the greens to get the ball anywhere close to the hole. I often have to hit the ball short of the green, onto the fairway and let it bounce or roll up, because I have no backspin. What happens often is that I go too long and the ball lands in the fringe and shoots off at high speed and a crazy angle. If it hits the green, it's fine, but the ball just rolls way too far. It's only when I hit the edge of the green. This behaviour drives me nuts!

So this is a long way of asking if this happens to any of you guys who have the "good" clubs - is this something that they've programmed to happen only to the starter set?

Thanks,

Timbo

• Safdar1
    454 Posts
    Tue, Jul 28 2015 2:58 PM

To prevent roll, you need a couple of things, first you need some backspin, so you need clubs that can impart spin (look at the spin rating) and then if you get balls that also have spin, that will help further.

Second thing you need is loft, the irons with high loft make the ball land at a steeper angle and thus less roll out. Combine that with backspin, then you seriously reduce roll out. However it comes at a cost, playing with more backspin also makes the shot more sensitive to missing the ding, so you have to find a balance that suits you.

Oh, and with the clubs I have used, using backspin affects, sometimes quite a lot, the landing distance of the shot, compared to where it lands without the backspin, if that makes sense.

• SetYouGolferName
    5 Posts
    Tue, Jul 28 2015 3:42 PM

Thanks, but you can't backspin with starter clubs. I was more wondering about the edges of the greens.

Timbo

• alosso
    21,032 Posts
    Tue, Jul 28 2015 5:52 PM

SetYouGolferName:
    What happens often is that I go too long and the ball lands in the fringe and shoots off at high speed and a crazy angle. If it hits the green, it's fine, but the ball just rolls way too far. It's only when I hit the edge of the green. This behaviour drives me nuts!

Yes, there is a special bounce on the brink of the green with any clubs.

• frisco8834
    33 Posts
    Thu, Jul 30 2015 9:59 AM

Invest time in surveys and watching commercials. You can pay for club and ball upgrades that way.

If the ball hits contour that is not flat, you'll get a funny bounce.

• SetYouGolferName
    5 Posts
    Thu, Jul 30 2015 6:40 PM

Thanks, guys, that's what I thought.

And thanks for the ideas on the commercials!

RSS