Forums

Help › Forums

i need of some serious putting help

rated by 0 users
Tue, Jul 28 2015 1:44 PM (7 replies)
  • Joshnosh
    548 Posts
    Tue, Jul 28 2015 10:12 AM

Please WGT community i need help I cant putt. its been getting worse n worse lately.

and i just finished a round 18 hole ready to go at +1 that was with a ave distance to the hole of 8.7 feet!!

37 putts i 3 putted from under 5 foot twice i missed 3 puts under 3 foot.

I have no idea what im doing any more, its just reading the breaks i have distance down good, well i think i do, i never come up short.

i have tried all the different methods ding off ding, tekomas, putting by numbers, i just cant putt at all any more :( please i need training!

• Yiannis1970
    3,262 Posts
    Tue, Jul 28 2015 10:54 AM

What sort of help can anyone give you since dot speed issue is here again? Ok for wgt is not a problem...for anyone else who would like to putt on a tournament is pretty frustrating to take 5 minutes or more to read the right speed of the dots. Bad statement: To hope to read the right speed after 5 minutes.

The other day had the second round on STA. It was just terrible...

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Jul 28 2015 12:17 PM

Joshnosh:
    its just reading the breaks i have distance down good, well i think i do, i never come up short.

You might be blasting through the break if you're not coming up short. Try slowing your putts down. They will break more but slow them down first to see how much before adjusting your aim. You might be aiming fine, just hitting too hard.

FWIW, when I figure out how hard to hit a putt the very first thing I do is the simple math (notice I said simple)-distance to hole plus or minus the elevation change. This is before even looking at the line and tells me what scale I should be using and how hard I should hit it. THEN look at the line and see how you have to modify that strength. Downhill on Champ greens needs room to roll, uphill needs a little more oomph, that sort of thinking.

Once you're happy with how hard to hit it,  imagine what the tracer would look like for a successful putt.  Aim at the high point of that. This is where missing can hurt or help. Missing on the down side of the ding will always miss the putt.

Missing on the up side tends to keep the putt rolling on the right line (this is where putter balance is big) and if your speed is right, the putt will go in or be a gimme. The correct speed will forgive a less than perfect aim. The side doors of the cup open up and you get those "fall in the door drunk" putts.  The biggest cause of lipouts is speed.

Visualizing that putt path before you hit it will go a long way to helping you "feel" what's right on future putts. It will help you understand how to aim. GL

• Joshnosh
    548 Posts
    Tue, Jul 28 2015 12:47 PM

thanks yankee, normally most of my misses are a tap in, the rally bad one i had was champ greens im not used to them.

the problem is i always just miss and end up with a tap in ive finished courses when my average put length was less than 2 feet, cause its mainly a tap in, that i missed or i knock it stiff.

ive watched hours of the best players and they dont seem to have much of a method just move the cursor and knock it in

• ScottHope
    10,012 Posts
    Tue, Jul 28 2015 1:07 PM

Mulling over this for a wee while, Yiannis did make a valid point about editing the picture, although I suspect he might have meant just painting out the circles and squares with a paintbrush to make the OCR work better, but I'm sure he will correct me if I'm wrong.

I think a more efficient idea would be to use a mask. Provided your scorecards are always the same size, you could create a mask in an image editor to fit over the scorecard that would hide everything, except the required numbers, which hopefully the OCR could read successfully. Although again, it may just be quicker to type out the values manually.

So, scorecard...

...plus mask...

...equals...

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Jul 28 2015 1:11 PM

Joshnosh:
    ive watched hours of the best players and they dont seem to have much of a method just move the cursor and knock it in

That's because of that feel that I mentioned. They've seen the putts so many times they can feel what's right. You're being too hard on yourself. Some of those guys have 20-30 times the number of putts you've taken. With just over 8,000 putts yourself you have a ways to go. 

Something else to keep in mind-the green speeds change throughout the week. Not a lot but enough to throw you off. Ever been on a 12 green that putted like a 10? or a 13? That's by design. Plus, putting goes in streaks. It does for everybody. Sometimes you bang everything in and other times you're yelling WTF. LOL Roll with it.   ;-)

• alcaucin
    9,041 Posts
    Tue, Jul 28 2015 1:28 PM

Joshnosh:
    Please WGT community i need help

True...you  have been very argumentative of late.

• Joshnosh
    548 Posts
    Tue, Jul 28 2015 1:44 PM

YankeeJim:

Joshnosh:

That's because of that feel that I mentioned. They've seen the putts so many times they can feel what's right. You're being too hard on yourself. Some of those guys have 20-30 times the number of putts you've taken. With just over 8,000 putts yourself you have a ways to go. 

Something else to keep in mind-the green speeds change throughout the week. Not a lot but enough to throw you off. Ever been on a 12 green that putted like a 10? or a 13? That's by design. Plus, putting goes in streaks. It does for everybody. Sometimes you bang everything in and other times you're yelling WTF. LOL Roll with it.   ;-)

Thanks Jim you are wise i will keep at it, and keep what you said in mind

RSS