Help › Forums

Help with clubs

rated by 0 users
Tue, Jul 21 2015 9:52 AM (6 replies)
  • RobertoBobani
    7 Posts
    Sun, Jul 19 2015 10:16 AM

Hey guys!

I just started playing yesterday, and lvled up to 31. I bought a couple of clubs just to get me started, but now im thinking i might need a few new ones?

do you guys have any tips on what clubs that might be good at this lvl..and that might stick with me on leveling up for a while..

thanks in advance..

• josephk2317
    873 Posts
    Mon, Jul 20 2015 7:46 AM

Seems like you are doing just fine since you started this month. I would suggest to ditch the Starter lob wedge and Hybrid driver for three decent wedges to replace them with. All other equipment that you have is very good; just remember to try and have them all the same meter speed. It really drives you crazy mentally if you don't and can make your game suffer. The three wedges will help improve your short game around the greens, which is pretty good so far as a beginner like yourself. 

Keep up the good work!

• BigInigoMontoya
    208 Posts
    Mon, Jul 20 2015 7:54 AM

Its been a while since I've browsed through the shop extensively, but IMHO, you shouldn't buy any more clubs until you level up some more. The only exception is the Starter lob wedge. The Cleveland 64 is available now, or you can wait a few more levels and pick up a Taylor Made wedge. Its all a matter of personal preference, as well as how many credits you have available in your budget.

As for the rest of the clubs, I wouldn't get a new driver until level 48 (Taylor Made R1) or level 58 (Ping G25). I owned the R1 from level 48 until level 89, and I loved it.  New irons not until level 59 (Ping G25) or level 75 (Taylor Made Speed Blade) or level 79 (Taylor Made Rocket Blade). Sure, there are lots of other iron sets available besides the ones I just listed, but they don't have high trajectory, so I don't like them. As for putting, a lot of folks are big fans of the Taylor Made Rossa at level 55, but I held out until the Odessy at level 70.

Also once you get a new iron set with a nice high loft and good distance, most people will recommend you chunk your hybrid into the drink and pick up a 3rd wedge. I like to go with 1 56 degree, 1 60 degree, and 1 64 degree, but to each their own. Good luck. 

• bubbsboy
    6,879 Posts
    Mon, Jul 20 2015 3:09 PM

All advice is good. I would also be careful when levelling up so fast and flying through tiers without playing the harder courses. Sometimes you tier so fast then land yourself on Merion and think WTF.

I understand why you are doing that as you enjoying yourself but throw a Pinehurst, or as i say a Merion in once and a while and dont worry if have a bad score to start with.

Bubbs

• RobertoBobani
    7 Posts
    Tue, Jul 21 2015 3:42 AM

Thanks for all the help so far!

i bought me a new wedge, to replace my starter lob wedge.

yeah, i just tried ranking up a little bit fast, but i guess i lear the game alot better if i play harder courses. and when i do so i can just play them in practise mode so they wont drag down my average right?

what i miss is the ability to retake shots, since i get kinda frustrated when putting and im not able to retake the shot to adjust.. to learn. But there isnt anyway to just practise putting right? cuz i feel thats where i need to train the most now in the beginning.

• josephk2317
    873 Posts
    Tue, Jul 21 2015 9:41 AM

Choose a hole in practice mode not stroke play mode, then use free balls or extremely cheap balls for practicing. You can hit it around the green a few times using mulligans. I believe ball usage also works in practice mode as well; and you don't want to use up your good balls during this time.

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Tue, Jul 21 2015 9:52 AM

RobertoBobani:
    since i get kinda frustrated when putting and im not able to retake the shot to adjust.. to learn.

Don't have to hit it to the hole.  Pick a point near the hole say and putt it to there.  Can either chase it around the green that way with your preferred ball or mulligan away with it (latter free if use starter ball or some beer ball gifted).  

RSS