Forums

Help › Forums

New putter reviews?

rated by 0 users
Thu, Jul 23 2009 6:29 AM (21 replies)
  • looploop71
    9 Posts
    Wed, Jul 15 2009 6:41 AM

Any comments regarding the speed meter for the Ping Anser? I checked out the spreadsheet comparison chart and it says "slow" for Ping Anser but then in the pro shop the swing meter indicated a faster speed than the stock putter. In any case, how difficult was it for you to get used to the new speed?

1,644 Posts
    Wed, Jul 15 2009 7:14 AM

Well the word 'slow' is relative in this sense, since the stock WGT starter putter is rated 'slowest', yes it is a little faster.  But not so much that it should take you very long to get used to with some practice.  Most people have already adjusted to the new speed since the "Tour Starter" putter was released a few months ago.  

Lee

• Vardon
    50 Posts
    Wed, Jul 15 2009 7:21 AM

I tried the new Ping putter and just could never get used to it.  It is a very good putter, but I didn't like the 15ft option.  So I went back to the starter putter and started making putts.  That was the key change I made to get to the Master tier.

• MalamaMakena
    42 Posts
    Sat, Jul 18 2009 1:10 PM

I love the 15 ft option.   The more space a 6 ft increment stretches, the more accurate you can be with the in-between distances.  And I'd rather hit a full 15 footer than half a 30 footer.

I follow advice of Dave Pelz that the ideal putt should have speed to go 17 inches behind the hole.  I add roughly 1.4 feet after calculating slope, wind, etc.

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Sat, Jul 18 2009 3:27 PM

15 footer is nice. :)

• JGates
    158 Posts
    Mon, Jul 20 2009 11:57 AM

I just bought the spyder and I love it.  Took me a few times to get use to it with the different ranges, but other than that I think it is awesome.  I thought about getting my driver first, but you make your money on the green.

• LeprechaunSquish
    1 Posts
    Mon, Jul 20 2009 10:11 PM

I'll probably buy the spider after reading up a bit. the change in increments doesn't bother me since I have an excel spreadsheet with 11 tickmarks (each one 10%) that I play the game on top of. It works well for me.

• pauls
    1,146 Posts
    Tue, Jul 21 2009 3:20 AM

just got the ping putter and love it . why didn't i do it sooner :)

• looploop71
    9 Posts
    Wed, Jul 22 2009 6:28 AM

Just following up on my purchase of the Ping Anser. I like it now that I got used to it... Just a pointer for those of you still undecided about buying the Ping. The 15ft option is great, only that you have to swing much "harder" than what you are used to...I kept on leaving my short putts short in the beginning which was very frustrating. The speed meter is a tad bit faster but I got used to that pretty quickly.  Now I just need to think about getting new driver and iron sets...

• BrutalSlice
    6 Posts
    Wed, Jul 22 2009 11:04 PM

I just got the spider and it seems nice but the fact that there are only 3 increments is a little annoying...how many increments does the anser have in terms of how many times you see the putter move as you pull it back? Spider has only 3 for ~8ft each on 25 ft bar..

Brutal

RSS