Forums

Help › Forums

Reached my peak

Tue, Jun 16 2015 9:07 PM (22 replies)
  • TracyMax
    2,361 Posts
    Mon, Jun 15 2015 9:05 AM

JasonNumber100:
    get rid of the hybrid and have three wedges.

I have to speak up about the "dissing" of the hybrid going on. Understand why you all feel they are not needed, but in my case, I tried the 3 wedges and found I need something in between my 3 iron and my 3 wood. Punching a 3 wood will give the appx same distance but ROLLS LIKE A ROCK COMING DOWN THE MOUNTAIN! Until I can upgrade to a iron set with more reach, I'll keep the hybrid and punch the PW.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Jun 15 2015 9:43 AM

TracyMax:
    I need something in between my 3 iron and my 3 wood.

This makes no sense hitting from the TM tees! You're at the driver wedge stage of your progress. You should be driving well past your 3, 4 and 5 irons on most holes.

• donsprintr
    2,063 Posts
    Mon, Jun 15 2015 10:00 AM

I wish I was driving past my pw ... 

Par 5's included 

Is there an app for that?

:-)

• fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Mon, Jun 15 2015 10:01 AM

I agree with YJ on this, no way a hybrid comes into play  more than a 3rd wedge from your tees...it might come into play on par 5's and is easily resolved...get a longer driver with more forgiveness and the BB 3wd with higher trajectory and more spin...your gonna need them anyway when you tier up to legend assuming moving up to legend is your intention....

• borntobesting
    9,605 Posts
    Mon, Jun 15 2015 10:36 AM

fatdan:

I agree with YJ on this, no way a hybrid comes into play  more than a 3rd wedge from your tees...it might come into play on par 5's and is easily resolved...get a longer driver with more forgiveness and the BB 3wd with higher trajectory and more spin...your gonna need them anyway when you tier up to legend assuming moving up to legend is your intention....

Me too but at TM tees he doesn't even need a 3 wood. He might need 3 wood distance on 2 long 2nd shot approaches on par 5's per 18 holes  compared to 5 or 6 times that many 3rd and 4th wedge shots per 18 holes. And a good punched driver can take the place of a 3 wood in many instances. 

• Boomerboy44
    1,514 Posts
    Mon, Jun 15 2015 10:37 AM

Take YJ's advice. Get good wedges and learn the chip and pitch shots from  fairway and rough.. You'll be surprised at how many shots you will hole once you learn the shots.

• donsprintr
    2,063 Posts
    Mon, Jun 15 2015 10:53 AM

And rent the new hole stretcher from the pro shop ... 

• pukiebear
    72 Posts
    Mon, Jun 15 2015 1:42 PM

Thanks everyone for the awesome tips.  I'll give the 3 wedge approach a try and report back on my status. 

Thanks again

• fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Mon, Jun 15 2015 2:35 PM

Another thing to think about, IMO(and a few others) the ball your using is wasting credits with your irons/wedges, Calloways with less spin play better with those irons than higher spin Nikes...Nike balls are more effective with higher level clubs, you will notice that a lot of advanced players still use Callys with the best clubs...

• TracyMax
    2,361 Posts
    Mon, Jun 15 2015 10:48 PM

YankeeJim:

TracyMax:
    I need something in between my 3 iron and my 3 wood.

This makes no sense hitting from the TM tees! You're at the driver wedge stage of your progress. You should be driving well past your 3, 4 and 5 irons on most holes.

hi Jim been a while. Yes to your statement, but there are a few LONG holes that require two wood shots to reach. Then is when the hybrid is of more use than the extra wedge.Besides, WGT keeps uping the price with each "improvement" tough for a poor, retired guy like me.

RSS