Forums

Help › Forums

Reached my peak

Tue, Jun 16 2015 9:07 PM (22 replies)
  • pukiebear
    72 Posts
    Sun, Jun 14 2015 2:34 PM

I'm a level 80 Master with a 64.48 scoring average and I believe I've hit a wall.  I seem to shoot consistently in the mid 60s, which is decent I guess, but I can never can seem to shoot any lower.  It's been this way for a while now.  Any tips on what I can do to lower my score?  New clubs?  Different courses?  I appreciate any insight.  Thanks

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Jun 14 2015 2:46 PM

pukiebear:
    I believe I've hit a wall. 

Sooo been there and remember asking the same question. A quick look at your bag says the answer is simple for you-change the way you play. Get rid of your HB and start carrying 3 wedges. If you really want to make a drastic change, carry 4 wedges and a driver!

You play from tees that put you in iron range of almost every hole. You don't need a fairway wood at your level and switching to 4 wedges will not only make you think more, you'll get real good at up and down, your distances to the pin will drop and your putts will be easier. You'll really start to score then, especially when you start planning on where you want to be for your approach. 4 wedges gives you 20 shots to work with and coverage all the way up to your irons. 

One of the things I did when I realized I was at that wall was to go and learn the chip and pitch shots. I was flopping everything in sight, at the time. Learning those 2 shots really help get me to the next level. Change it up.  :-)

• oneeyedjohn
    9,567 Posts
    Sun, Jun 14 2015 3:14 PM

Know exactly how u feel, and I remember the feeling well.

What held me back was in every round I was making  a bogey or worse. So I focused totally on getting rid of that glitch by improving and perfecting my short game.

Once u can have a clean round with no bogeys then the sub 60 type rounds will start to happen.

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Sun, Jun 14 2015 3:17 PM

Equipment-wise, I think that your balls are too expensive and your clubs are rather on the "cheap" side, except the irons.

Most of all. you might want to check if the wedges have a good&even spread underneath the irons.

But, even with the equipment you have, a decent game should be possible with some course management. Think, practice, ask!

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Sun, Jun 14 2015 5:39 PM

This, by Yankee  

Sooo been there and remember asking the same question. A quick look at your bag says the answer is simple for you-change the way you play. Get rid of your HB and start carrying 3 wedges. If you really want to make a drastic change, carry 4 wedges and a driver!

You play from tees that put you in iron range of almost every hole. You don't need a fairway wood at your level and switching to 4 wedges will not only make you think more, you'll get real good at up and down, your distances to the pin will drop and your putts will be easier. You'll really start to score then, especially when you start planning on where you want to be for your approach. 4 wedges gives you 20 shots to work with and coverage all the way up to your irons.

Hey P-Bear! This is the answer. All valid and legit....and simple to do. Do it, and report back in a couple of weeks. What you post then, will inspire many...a chance for you to give something  back  ;-}

• borntobesting
    9,605 Posts
    Sun, Jun 14 2015 7:29 PM

YJ's advice is spot on and if you use the punch with those wedges it is like having 3 or 4 extra clubs. The punch is not just am escape shot.

• courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Sun, Jun 14 2015 9:02 PM

I'd suggest joining a busy country club and making some friends. Then just have fun knocking some balls around and forget about the meaningless average. 

• TracyMax
    2,361 Posts
    Sun, Jun 14 2015 9:11 PM

courteneyfish:

I'd suggest joining a busy country club and making some friends. Then just have fun knocking some balls around and forget about the meaningless average. 

Well Courteney we have finally found an issue to agree on. This is my problem as well. My wife says," it's just a game". Sometimes we in WGT take this too seriously.

• 11BC2
    555 Posts
    Sun, Jun 14 2015 10:24 PM

pukiebear:

I'm a level 80 Master with a 64.48 scoring average and I believe I've hit a wall.  I seem to shoot consistently in the mid 60s, which is decent I guess, but I can never can seem to shoot any lower.  It's been this way for a while now.  Any tips on what I can do to lower my score?  New clubs?  Different courses?  I appreciate any insight.  Thanks

Work on your putting man, excuse me, Pukiebear ^^.  You appear to have rather low one putt %'s with high 3 putts, etc.  I know when I shoot good rounds (at least for me) it's because I'm dropping virtually every single putt.  Yeah, it's always nice to be 2Y and under every shot but it's also important to drop all those 15 - 25 footers too.  With good notes this becomes more possible.

• JasonNumber100
    2,906 Posts
    Mon, Jun 15 2015 12:49 AM

I agree with a lot of what has been said. Yes get rid of the hybrid and have three wedges. Master your short game by practising your chipping, pitching or flopping. Don't necessarily need all three shots, I just use the flop shot.

You seem to play the same course day after day. Mix it up, try all courses whether you play well or not. If you keep playing the same courses you will get stuck in a rut. Learning all courses widens your skills. On that point, you haven't played any alternate shot games. These are fun and wont' affect your average. You'll also get helpful advice from other players. Some of them will understand what you are going through. You are not alone, we've all been there. Always best to join a good country club. You'll be guaranteed good alternate shot games and get helpful advice in the club forums.

Take notes, course management can help your game. I'm too lazy to make notes, but I probably need to if I want to improve. Use starter balls for a while, that will help you when you play with your proper ball. Concentrate on one aspect of your game and improve that.

Finally, have fun, remember it's only a game and your average and tier are only one part of it. Hope that helps. Happy golfing.

RSS