Help › Forums

L97 Nike + RZN-B: Big Problems

rated by 0 users
Sat, Apr 25 2015 1:23 PM (10 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Tasor
    478 Posts
    Fri, Apr 24 2015 4:27 AM

I used the L85 Nike together with RZN Platinum and was doing ok with them, made TL without problems and shot consistently within 2-3yd of the flag. But I soon realized that I need more precision (3yd left/right without wind is not enough) and so I bought the L97 Nike.

For the last 2 weeks, I tried them together with the RZN Black balls, and I am really frustrated now. My left/right is perfect, always within 1yd. But my length! Every 3rd shot or so is either long or short - by up to 7yd! The power seems to be completely unpredictable, same with the head-/tailwind influence.

Some examples:
    3I, fbs, no wind -> 217yd / 3I, fbs, 3 tailwind -> 227yd
    5I, fbs, 2tw -> 186yd / 5I, 95%bs, 4hw -> 190yd
    8I, fbs, no wind -> 145yd / 8I, fbs, sidewind, +24ft -> 132yd!!!

I'm really frustrated now. Sometimes, shots with 95% power fly as far as shots with 100% power. Sometimes, 1 pixel more or less spin changes the distance by 5yd. Sometimes, 2mph wind difference makes 7yd.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? Any advice? Switch to balls with less spin (20XI-X)? I never had length problems like this before! Thank you in advance.

• IRISHPUNK
    4,019 Posts
    Fri, Apr 24 2015 10:17 AM

Some of the best players in the world (not claiming that i'm one of them) have had the same issues (distance control) with that ball.  It's very fickle.  I still have 2 of them in my bag.  Good luck! Edit:  From what i've been told.... lvl 33 Callys have the least amount of deviation of any ball on WGt and lvl 61 (or lvl 48) Nike have the 2nd least amount of deviation on WGT.  I assume they have the optimal amount of distance times spin but that's just a guess.  

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Fri, Apr 24 2015 11:12 AM

Over time, I have used most of the top iron sets and balls to identify the best marriage for the way I play. I now use (close to a year) the L97 irons in concert with the Nike Platinum ball. For me they team up to provide the most consistant results. I do try, from time to time, the Cally balls often ballyhood by some of the Top Guns, along with some of the other Nikes, but these "try-outs" always send me right back home to the Nike Platinum.  ~ SP ~ 

• MichaelStroke
    2,066 Posts
    Fri, Apr 24 2015 11:16 AM

IRISHPUNK:

Some of the best players in the world (not claiming that i'm one of them) have had the same issues (distance control) with that ball.  It's very fickle.  I still have 2 of them in my bag.  Good luck! Edit:  From what i've been told.... lvl 33 Callys have the least amount of deviation of any ball on WGt and lvl 61 (or lvl 48) Nike have the 2nd least amount of deviation on WGT.  I assume they have the optimal amount of distance times spin but that's just a guess.  

Truth.

I use the 97 Nike irons and the 33 Callies, and my deviations are small.  Any large misses in length are usually due to bad mental miscalculations, or false distances provided by WGT.  It's rarely because the ball/clubs had a mind of their own (it does happen, but quite rarely).

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Apr 24 2015 12:09 PM

MichaelStroke:
    use the 97 Nike irons and the 33 Callies, and my deviations are small.  Any large misses in length are usually due to bad mental miscalculations, or false distances provided by WGT.  It's rarely because the ball/clubs had a mind of their own (it does happen, but quite rarely).

^^This.

Even better with the Vapors.  :-)

• MichaelStroke
    2,066 Posts
    Fri, Apr 24 2015 12:23 PM

YankeeJim:
    Even better with the Vapors.  :-)

Yeah yeah, rub it in.  I'll know around Christmastime.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Fri, Apr 24 2015 1:06 PM

I couldn't help but notice that in the match between Poldi & Mags that with their Vapor irons they both were sporting Nike 20IX balls...

• IRISHPUNK
    4,019 Posts
    Fri, Apr 24 2015 1:35 PM

SweetiePie:

I couldn't help but notice that in the match between Poldi & Mags that with their Vapor irons they both were sporting Nike 20IX balls...

It's where (3rd hand info) I heard the bit about them having low deviation....they're a great value (not that Mags and Poldi are hurting for credits) and the slightly faster meter helps with my massive penchant for early clicking with the slow meter that the Forged Irons and R1 Driver have.  

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Fri, Apr 24 2015 1:38 PM

SweetiePie:

Over time, I have used most of the top iron sets and balls to identify the best marriage for the way I play. I now use (close to a year) the L97 irons in concert with the Nike Platinum ball. For me they team up to provide the most consistant results. I do try, from time to time, the Cally balls often ballyhood by some of the Top Guns, along with some of the other Nikes, but these "try-outs" always send me right back home to the Nike Platinum.  ~ SP ~ 

But SP if I presume correctly, you're not using FBS all the time, and the examples show FBS, and if I remember high spin irons + high spin balls + FBS can cause huge deviations (as Icon suggested*).

Then there is the 'adjustment period' where WGT** and I have noticed/suggested that new clubs don't settle in till, from my experience, about 5 weeks after purchase.

http://www.wgt.com/forums/p/276488/1987482.aspx#1987482

http://www.wgt.com/forums/p/99294/636071.aspx#636071

** new club adjustment time

http://www.wgt.com/forums/p/256015/1847773.aspx#1847773

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Fri, Apr 24 2015 3:49 PM

JFidanza:
    But SP if I presume correctly, you're not using FBS all the time, and the examples show FBS, and if I remember high spin irons + high spin balls + FBS can cause huge deviations (as Icon suggested*).

Well, that is a great presumption. Spin wise, I use about 2 pixel BS with driver- I vary with 3 wood- Almost never with irons- Almost never with wedges except flop and punch which is mostly full BS.....that is why we are all different in our approaches to game play. As for deviations, I very rarely get them...ever....whoops ! I shouldn't have said that ;-}

• PAGES
RSS