Forums

Help › Forums

help purchasing new balls

rated by 0 users
Thu, Apr 30 2015 11:03 AM (9 replies)
  • JohnFlynno
    15 Posts
    Thu, Apr 23 2015 11:10 PM

I just turned pro and have always used the starter balls.  I've noticed that certain balls slow down the swing meter.  Having a slower swing meter is very appealing to me since I've always had to deal with very fast swing meter speed.

What is the norm regarding swing meter speed?  Should I only purchase balls that slow down my swing meter speed as much as possible?

Thanks!

• phred952
    2,714 Posts
    Fri, Apr 24 2015 3:12 PM

Hey John,

My advice is to try some different balls, starting with some of the WGT balls, as they are less expensive than other brands.  Perhaps the G12 S, spin balls, rated at 2.0 meter speed. They start at 64 credits a sleeve.  I'm at lvl 84, and still often use the WGT G13 S vapor ball.  While I treat them as a practice ball, I've posted some of my best scores with them.

They start at 124 credits per sleeve, and have a meter speed of 2.5.  Try to find something that you can adjust to, without spending anymore than necessary, at first.   Generally, the slower meter speed you want, the higher the price of the ball.  And the higher lvl you have to reach before they unlock.

If you look on the forum, you can find an interactive equipment list posted by Scott Hope.  In it you can look at all club and ball specs, narrowing things down to a particular meter speed if you choose.  

Feel free to send me a friend request, and I'll get back to you with a PM if you want to talk to me some more privately about this.  I can let you know what I've tried, and have success with.

Good luck

Phred952

• JohnFlynno
    15 Posts
    Sat, Apr 25 2015 2:45 PM

Thank you for your feedback!  I'm sure I will check out Scott Hope's post.

• siggipj76
    2,989 Posts
    Sat, Apr 25 2015 7:46 PM

have a look at ball life too, as a ball with 1.0 might be cheaper, but a callaway with 2,5 is going to last much longer.

Scotthope is the go to guy I hear around the pub.

• 8buster8
    649 Posts
    Sun, Apr 26 2015 5:16 AM

Hi John,

You could also pick up the *Starter Plus* iron set that would match your current 3 wood.  My advice for a newer player who is not in a big *rush* would be to work on club upgrades first then balls later.   

For what its worth, I used starter balls until Tour Master, switched to Srixons until I made Legend and then switched back.  I won't break any records here but my balls are always (still) free & never get lost or make me nervous on CCC 18th approach.  

• alosso
    21,037 Posts
    Sun, Apr 26 2015 11:28 AM

My advice is NOT to go for the slowest balls if possible!

1) any custom ball will result in slower meter than the Starters,

2) SLOW coincides with EXPENSIVE, be it balls or clubs. Therefore, it's good to get used to some extent of meter speed for affordable gaming.

Others have given sound advice to start with unexpensive balls and to keep "duration" in mind. May I add as a rule of thumb that the level of the ball should not exceed the level of the main clubs because the true quality lies in the combo. Only good & expensive clubs will let you take the most out of good & expensive balls.

My choice from Tour Pro up was Tour-SD (65 cr, a top deal for the money), and now, as a Legend, I play the L33 Callies (250 cr), just for fun. For top results, I'd have to change to some Nikes (450++ cr).

• JohnFlynno
    15 Posts
    Sun, Apr 26 2015 1:07 PM

Ok, thanks for your input!

• JohnFlynno
    15 Posts
    Sun, Apr 26 2015 1:11 PM

alosso, thanks for your good advice.

• 11BC2
    555 Posts
    Mon, Apr 27 2015 10:49 AM

I find Spin more important than Meter Speed.  WGT Tour S Balls have 2.0 Spin, 1.0 Distance and 1.5 Durability (110 shots).  Very cheap at .43 cents! and 1 sleeve will last me a little over 7 rounds.  And if you do wanna use a ball that slows down the meter WGT has quite a few (that have spin too!) for under 100 credits.

Now if you're trying to Win/Place in Tournaments and you already have the ability to shoot 52, 53, 54, 52, etc, then I can see a 250 - 700 credit ball shave off 1-2 strokes a round which could make a big difference.  For the rest of us scrubs I say, SAVE your money.

• JohnFlynno
    15 Posts
    Thu, Apr 30 2015 11:03 AM

11BC2, thanks!

RSS