Forums

Help › Forums

Help Wanted...Santas Needed IRL?

Thu, Apr 30 2015 7:30 PM (9 replies)
  • mrcaddie
    2,429 Posts
    Sat, Apr 18 2015 3:59 PM

Hey Everyone,

I'm thinking of taking the "12, or 24, Days of Christmas" into the real world and that's why I'm posting this now because it will take some time to put together. If this idea fails to gain traction then I'll just run the usual event in December.

I know that we, as a community, have given away hundreds, if not thousands of virtual gifts to the wgt community over the past four years, but I was thinking how much better it would be if we actually made a difference in the lives of "real" people by giving them "real" gifts.

This is what I'm thinking-

I would start something like a "gofundme.com page" where wgt players could donate to the event and the money would be used to buy groceries for complete strangers at Christmas time. After that, the money could be saved for the next year for another Santa from WGT who can do the same thing the following year and so on.

My thoughts are I could give away the gifts the first year, the next year it could be given away by someone in Australia, after that it could be someone in England, then someone in Brazil, New Zealand or Spain.

I could make the initial investment for the cameras and wireless mics so the events can be filmed and posted on Youtube, also to show that the money wasn't ending up in my pocket. The equipment could be passed around to the players playing the next Santas, they can use them and send them to the next Santa to film their turn playing Santa.

This is only an idea, but I would love to hear would you have to say.

I'll base my decisions on your responses.

MC

• josephk2317
    873 Posts
    Sat, Apr 18 2015 7:52 PM

I think that's a wonderful idea. And it would probably easier to get a national charity like Action Against Hunger or United Way.  Then asked that the donations ( WGT Community) be recognized and could they film the events as well. They could even ad a link where we could donate at through WGT  survey/earn money area. I'm sure they could set this up knowing they would have a lot of donations from this online golfing community. They could have highlights of the donation events through here each month as Christmas draws closer. Heck even WGT could sponsor the filming of events; it would mean more advertisement and new players for them as well.

• courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Sat, Apr 18 2015 10:14 PM

You might get some ideas from the Random Acts of Kindness website. 

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Sun, Apr 19 2015 2:23 AM

josephk2317:
    I think that's a wonderful idea. And it would probably easier to get a national charity like Action Against Hunger or United Way.

Wiki

I wouldn't give this mob of politically motivated shysters a single penny.

• josephk2317
    873 Posts
    Sun, Apr 19 2015 2:49 AM

Used for an example only, just off the top of my head. Not actually stating to use those. But yeah, you do have to watch out for some of them.

• opyeuclid
    6,706 Posts
    Mon, Apr 20 2015 3:22 PM

Nice idea Sir .   So could the Santa of that year pick his or her thing to give to ?  Like to Cancer research , A pet resque center  , Or get some toys and stuff and take it to children in the hospital ?

Please post a link to this thread in " The word is " thread Sir . 

OPY

• opyeuclid
    6,706 Posts
    Tue, Apr 21 2015 4:40 PM

Sir , how about this , We keep the July event for the WGT players ( Please see my thread " The word is " ) . {  Nice Hijack of a thread OPY }  That way we keep part of the give away,s for the WGT Community and for Christmas we as a Community can

" Level up "

OPY

PS . I am more than willing to work with you McCaddie with any help to keep the event going .

• VirtualGareth
    94 Posts
    Thu, Apr 23 2015 12:53 AM

Mrcaddie - you are a legend.

I don't care if the idea takes off or not ..... you are a legend for even suggesting it!

I'm not too sure how the logistics would work, but it might be an idea for a few geographically proximate players to club together and pool their cash to make this happen. This would have 2 advantages (1) it would increase the number of players participating and (2) it would not put any undue financial burden on any single person.

If this is being arranged in Ireland I would be really happy to participate!

• russellfahey
    4,286 Posts
    Thu, Apr 23 2015 11:09 AM

This sounds like a great idea Mrcaddie,and if this was to come to fruition,i for 1 will be willing to donate :)

Best not that i take the mantle of being Santa over here,because i was once in a Burger King,with some vouchers for free food and they were about to expire date wise.So i turned round to a bloke with his Kid,and offered him some vouchers for free food.He looked at me really strange and refused them lol.Same thing happened to another couple i tried to give them to aswell.Surely i'm not that scary lol.

Great idea though.

Russell

• mrcaddie
    2,429 Posts
    Thu, Apr 30 2015 7:30 PM

OK folks, I think I'm going to put this idea to rest. The logistics would be too hard to pull off.

I like Opy's idea of donating to a different charity each year and that is something that I am definitely going to try work on and see if I can make it work for future events.

For now I think we'll just stay with the program, Opy will run the "Christmas in July" event and I'll run the "24 Days of Christmas" event in December.

Gareth, Russell and anyone that responded to this thread...thank you for your feedback, it's players like you that help me shape the future of this event and help me/ us make a bigger impact on the community.

Thanks guys!

MC

RSS