Forums

Help › Forums

spin

Tue, Feb 5 2019 10:54 PM (20 replies)
  • stevepsheehan
    2,791 Posts
    Fri, Apr 17 2015 6:35 AM

robgt90:
    Is there a logical explanation to this at all?

There is Rob - you're L92, and you're using inferior equipment.

IMO, you should ditch that hybrid, your irons, and the two wedges. Replace the irons with the higher level R11s, and get a set of 3 top end matched wedges.

You'll really see the difference, and your game will improve markedly.

Good luck :-)

Steve

• robgt90
    21 Posts
    Thu, Dec 21 2017 11:07 AM

I'm talking about a full shot from the fairway, anywhere from 150-190 yards out. Hit a shot the other day from 177 yards using a club that hits 190, into an 11 mph headwind, full spin on the ball, ball hits the green short of the flag, and still rolls uphill, 5-7 yards by the hole. Seems to me that, this flies directly into the face of physics. Offer up an explanation, that is both, justifiable and logical if u can.

• keidan
    311 Posts
    Fri, Dec 22 2017 12:03 PM

Long clubs can give a ball enough forward momentum to overcome backspin even with uphill and headwind conditions. As an example: 

On a 1st bounce, a back-spinning ball that is still moving forward with enough speed loses all of its backspin due to contact with the ground.

After the 1st bounce, the ball has stopped spinning but still has some forward motion left over.  So on the 2nd bounce it starts to roll forward.  

This tendency to roll forward after hitting the ground can stop the backspin and even reverse it to acquire forward spin (or forward roll) after a bounce or two, despite uphill and headwind situations.  Here is the effect seen with a backspinning tennis ball where the spin is reversed on just 1 bounce:

Another condition that helps this effect is and elevated green, where the ball has not had a chance to drop and lose more forward momentum in its final trajectory.

Happy hitting!

-Keith 

• alcaucin
    9,041 Posts
    Fri, Dec 22 2017 10:58 PM
    robgt90:

I'm talking about a full shot from the fairway, anywhere from 150-190 yards out. Hit a shot the other day from 177 yards using a club that hits 190, into an 11 mph headwind, full spin on the ball, ball hits the green short of the flag, and still rolls uphill, 5-7 yards by the hole. Seems to me that, this flies directly into the face of physics. Offer up an explanation, that is both, justifiable and logical if u can.

Better clubs help re roll-out but tbh, if you haven't worked out how to play your clubs ( 2 1/2 yrs after posing the Q ) then it could be a waste of $$ ;)
  • Mythanatos
    2,203 Posts
    Tue, Dec 26 2017 12:38 PM

Combination of you're using clubs with med/high trajectory. and spin isn't as good. 

Get irons with high trajectory and higher spin ratings and they will spin and stop more. But that said if hitting up hill it's going to be coming in flatter and faster and won't stop as much. 

Or St andrews is another example where harder greens mean they tend to get more forward bounce. Especially from long irons.

• robgt90
    21 Posts
    Tue, Feb 5 2019 1:41 PM

I fully understand how the game is play, however, if I'm hitting a shot into a headwind with a sand wedge lets say, and the wind is 12-15 mph in my face, I hit the shot, the ball hits the green, short of the hole, by 3 yards, give or take, then tell me, if full backspin has been applied to the shot, how does the ball end up 6-7 yards past the hole?

• DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Tue, Feb 5 2019 8:28 PM

robgt90:

I fully understand how the game is play, however, if I'm hitting a shot into a headwind with a sand wedge lets say, and the wind is 12-15 mph in my face, I hit the shot, the ball hits the green, short of the hole, by 3 yards, give or take, then tell me, if full backspin has been applied to the shot, how does the ball end up 6-7 yards past the hole?

If you have a lower-level wedge (low spin rating) and low level ball (low spin rating)  the ball will not stop on some greens.  That seems to be what is equipped in your bag even now.

To get better stopping or backing results, you need balls and wedges with better spin ratings.  Either way, you have to learn exactly how your ball-club combination plays in general and on specific courses and holes and adjust your shots to account for that.  Takes a lot of practice and mapping (recording results).

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Tue, Feb 5 2019 8:39 PM

DoctorLarry:

If you have a lower-level wedge (low spin rating) and low level ball (low spin rating)  the ball will not stop on some greens.  That seems to be what is equipped in your bag even now.

To get better stopping or backing results, you need balls and wedges with better spin ratings.  Either way, you have to learn exactly how your ball-club combination plays in general and on specific courses and holes and adjust your shots to account for that.  Takes a lot of practice and mapping (recording results)

+1

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Tue, Feb 5 2019 10:54 PM

...of course, a consideration that applies:

a ball hit w/ FBS at 100% will have greater spin than

a ball hit at 96% or 93% etc. etc.

Some people may not take that into consideration.

• Mythanatos
    2,203 Posts
    Wed, Feb 6 2019 12:52 AM

robgt90:

add the spin of your wedge and the spin of the ball and what is that number? 

Mine is 8.5 

Until we know what your number is we have no idea how to relate.

RSS