Forums

Help › Forums

UEL Players

Tue, Apr 14 2015 6:32 AM (15 replies)
  • PAGES
  • DaveStrock
    919 Posts
    Wed, Apr 8 2015 11:59 PM

I've just started messing around with a few uel games,it's been very difficult to try and figure how to adjust for the different speeds of the moving dots in the alignment box,have any of you uel players figured out how much adjustment is needed according to how fast the dots are moving?..If so can you share your wisdom here,for example I do fairly well reading the greens according to the pace of the dots and am wondering if there is a way to figure how much offset is needed according to how fast the dots are moving side to side on the green uel box for your approach shot?,,,if it takes 5 seconds for them to move right to left how far left do you adjust your aim?...if it takes 10 seconds left to right how far left do you aim?...etc.etc.etc......

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Thu, Apr 9 2015 12:20 AM

Hi Dave,

LOLserver put together a great Uneven Lie Tutorial thread here which may have what you're looking for. (I think Icon even pinned it for us in the Game Tips forum).

There's also a good thread here.

Personally, I gauge the slopes by experience rather than trying to time them... but I know that Cerino (CerinoDevoti) once described his method relating to dots moving (which I failed to understand, lol), but right now I can't find it. Perhaps buried in one of those threads...

Edit: aha, got it: page 5 halfway down, Cerino's post.

Also, I've said this before, and I'll say it again: I found the best way to learn Unevens was with Starter Clubs and balls. First off, it's cheaper, there's no risk of losing balls while you learn. And secondly, using Starters is how we all learned to play this game in the first place, so it's the best way to give yourself a base-level to understand it from.

And now, a shameless plug :)

If you want to try Uneven Lies with Starters competitively, join in with our Tough-It-Out tournaments every month (in a Tour that parallels the main WGT Virtual Tour).

This month's event @ Bethpage starts today!

• LOLserver
    3,522 Posts
    Thu, Apr 9 2015 3:04 AM

DaveStrock:

.....it's been very difficult to try and figure how to adjust for the different speeds of the moving dots in the alignment box,have any of you uel players figured out how much adjustment is needed according to how fast the dots are moving?..

I give you an raw example (this is not precise calculation , it is just for you to understand how it works)

200 yards approach with a 10 mph wind left to right, you move the aim about 10 feet to the left of the flag to compensate for the wind direction & strength, then you check the UEL GREEN box (see my tutorial http://www.wgt.com/forums/t/148036.aspx) ; dots moving SLOW from left to right, you need to move the aim 10 feet MORE to the left, so in TOTAL you move the aim about 20 feet left of the hole before hitting your shot with UEL.

As Corwyn, Cerino and other good UEL players pointed out......take a starter ball, go to any course with UEL, with some wind and ........practice. I am postitive that it does not take very long before you can understand how it works and how much you need to move the aim for a good shot : )))

Hope you end up enjoying the UEL feature as much as we do : ))))))

Eric

• fmagnets
    3,638 Posts
    Thu, Apr 9 2015 8:24 AM

Whilst using starter balls can give you a general idea of how UEL works, especially around the greens, you need to use your usual balls if precision is what you are after. The low spin starters have a much flatter trajectory than a high spin ball, so are not thrown as much off line by the slope you are hitting off.

Personally, I try and ignore the moving dots and focus on the angle of the UEL box instead. This is the angle by which the initial launch trajectory is altered. I then try and imagine what the new ball flight will look like having started off in this altered direction. If you try to hit to similar spots on the fairways, you build up a good idea of how much yardage you lose on the approach shots for each hole too.

This method has the added benefit that if WGT goes fiddling about with the dot speed, as they have in the last few months, your UEL play is unaffected. 

• LOLserver
    3,522 Posts
    Thu, Apr 9 2015 8:40 AM

fmagnets:

This method has the added benefit that if WGT goes fiddling about with the dot speed, as they have in the last few months, your UEL play is unaffected. 

Have the dots speed also been affected when UEL?, not playing that often UEL as i used to do it but I still trust the dots speed. Well, a matter of views of the situation m8, I shall myself try the tip, thxs.

And yes, good idea to practice with your our balls....just remember to have control of the aiming before is too expensive with your own balls with OB or water or any kind of hazards lol.

Eric

• fmagnets
    3,638 Posts
    Thu, Apr 9 2015 10:21 AM

LOLserver:

Have the dots speed also been affected 

I think so. They looked a lot slower when the putting green dots went slow a few weeks ago. Back to normal now.

• 1enigma1
    486 Posts
    Thu, Apr 9 2015 11:24 AM

Corwyn:

LOLserver put together a great Uneven Lie Tutorial thread here which may have what you're looking for. (I think Icon even pinned it for us in the Game Tips forum).

There's also a good thread here.

Personally, I gauge the slopes by experience rather than trying to time them... but I know that Cerino (CerinoDevoti) once described his method relating to dots moving (which I failed to understand, lol), but right now I can't find it. Perhaps buried in one of those threads...

Edit: aha, got it: page 5 halfway down, Cerino's post.

Also, I've said this before, and I'll say it again: I found the best way to learn Unevens was with Starter Clubs and balls. First off, it's cheaper, there's no risk of losing balls while you learn. And secondly, using Starters is how we all learned to play this game in the first place, so it's the best way to give yourself a base-level to understand it from.

And now, a shameless plug :)

If you want to try Uneven Lies with Starters competitively, join in with our Tough-It-Out tournaments every month (in a Tour that parallels the main WGT Virtual Tour).

This month's event @ Bethpage starts today!

Good info, I too would like to learn the UEL format..

• DaveStrock
    919 Posts
    Thu, Apr 9 2015 6:15 PM

Thank you all for your input,info and replies,going to try and get some what proficient at the uel's hopefully enough to hold my own in some competitions..........................i played in the cabo uel rg a couple days ago and it's still not full and it's only fifty cents,it appears the uel rg's take forever to fill,guess there aren't many who play them................................

• Adalanar
    282 Posts
    Fri, Apr 10 2015 5:05 AM

I agree with fmagnets (thats an easy bet anyhow).

Direction actually is easy somewhat easy to figure out. Distance control is key and a little bit more of a challenge. Knowing where desasters are waiting and avoiding them helps too. 

Obviously hitting greens and holing some putts helps.

All of this should come with experience by playing a lot of roundss

• Thefullmontygolf
    32 Posts
    Fri, Apr 10 2015 12:42 PM

Yar mags has it spot on. just consider the trajectory of the ball, and bear in mind in RL golf you adjust your stance to compensate for lies but the dumbass WGT golfer stands same as usual but sloped. A decent approximation is also to consider side slope increments as equal to a certain wind speed. 10mph for a minor increment works well.

Upslope/downslopes depends much on the spin you're setting and the surface your landing the ball on, but its not hard to visualize it and adjust accordingly. It will come up short on an uphill lie so you need some extra club. On a downhill lie  if its gonna pitch and stop dead or take a hop and stop you will need extra club, otherwise you need the same weight or less depending on the lie severity to get the distance correct once the ball has finally stopped.

Chips, pitches, flops etc take extra work to master. Severe lies also are challenging to come close to mastering.  Not only does the lie affect the takeoff angle but the side spin put on the ball becomes more apparent, giving draws and slices also. Bunkers and any other red lies for that matter require a completely different shot than in even lies.  full shots often being the way to go, but give the bunker flop a shot 1st if you don't believe me lol. 

Uneven lies require a more considered shot management around the course also. Picking out the flatish areas of fairways and putting more emphasis on hitting greens than attacking certain pins, particularly if the approach shot lie is a nightmare.

Everyone should play more uneven lies.

• PAGES
RSS