Forums

Help › Forums

PGA Rookie of the year

rated by 0 users
Tue, Dec 7 2010 1:09 PM (2 replies)
  • paulmcm
    449 Posts
    Mon, Dec 6 2010 4:22 AM

In a FIFA esque move, Rory Mcllory is snubbed for Rookie of the year by the PGA, the award goes to ahem.... Ricky Fowler?

I'm with Lee "World No 1" Westwood on this one:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2010/dec/06/lee-westwood-pga-twitter-attack

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Mon, Dec 6 2010 5:11 AM

The players voted Fowler R.O.Y..   And McIlroy doesn't consider himself a rookie anyway.

Plus, there was no player from Qatar on tour to buy the award for himself. ;o)

By DOUG FERGUSON, AP Golf Writer:

Yahoo Sports

McIlroy not bothered by rookie snub

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. (AP)—Rory McIlroy wasn’t the least bit bothered by getting snubbed as the PGA Tour rookie of the year because the 21-year-old from Northern Ireland never considered himself a rookie.

In a vote of the players, Rickie Fowler was voted the top rookie on the PGA Tour, even though he didn’t win a tournament....

“It’s fine,” McIlroy said Sunday after making four birdies in his last five holes at the Chevron World Challenge to finish fourth. “Look, I really didn’t want it. I’m not a rookie.”

The PGA Tour considers him a rookie because it was his first full year on tour, which is why McIlroy was on the ballot with Fowler, Puerto Rico Open winner Derek Lamely and Alex Prugh.

The tour does not reveal how many players voted or the results.

The 21-year-old Fowler did not turn pro until the fall of 2009 after playing in the Walker Cup. After going through Q-school, he had runner-up finishes in the Phoenix Open and Memorial, and became the first tour rookie picked for the Ryder Cup team.

“When I joined the PGA Tour, I was top 10 in the world,” McIlroy said. “Rickie had an unbelievable year. He deserves it.”

Without polling the players—assuming they even voted—it was difficult to know if McIlroy was snubbed because players don’t consider him a true rookie, or because he announced last month that he would not take up U.S. membership for next year.

• Yakublue
    125 Posts
    Tue, Dec 7 2010 1:09 PM
    Doesn't really matter what the player himself thinks. The PGA Tour considered him a rookie and was therefore nominated as such. I don't think the tour players knew how Rory felt about the award when they were casting their votes. Sour grapes end of. The Yak
RSS