Forums

Help › Forums

Presence

rated by 0 users
Wed, Jul 1 2009 5:19 AM (2 replies)
  • reidhanson
    49 Posts
    Tue, Jun 30 2009 11:39 AM

One area where WGT most definitely offers up a realistic golfing experience:  forcing you to be present in the here and now.  This is the mystical side of golf (which I love)... the side that requires focus, clarity of mind and an almost singular thought process.  Very hard to achieve, but a lot of fun to go after.  You've got to be extremely present in the moment to nail that good ol' swing meter.  If you are not fully there; you can miss the "ding" line by leaps and bounds.  For most of us, like in real world golf, the rounds with focus are radically different from the rounds without.  To my mind, this is highly desirable.  Those who can remain consistently present emerge as the best of the best.  This is where WGT excels.  Kudos.

• callawayjay
    46 Posts
    Tue, Jun 30 2009 8:26 PM

Reid, truer words have never been spoken.  Your message has almost a Zen quality to it.  I think this is the real reason that WGT suggests that you turn off everything else on your computer.  Not because of system performance issues (although I suspect that would help if you are using something older) but moreover to eliminate the distractions.  I know that I have had to turn off IM's and sometimes even the game on TV in order to limit distractions.  The best players in the world of golf are those that can focus all of their energy on the shot at hand.  Not on the one before, and certainly not on the one after.  Great post!

• reidhanson
    49 Posts
    Wed, Jul 1 2009 5:19 AM

Thanks, Jay.  That line really is a bugger to hit, isn't it?  I never had much trouble in that department when playing my Tiger Woods games.  I've been playing WGT for a couple couple of months now, recently quite heavy (I'm a teacher on summer vacation), and I'm not a whole lot better than when I started; although I am starting to have some breakthroughs, particularly in the putting department.  But that's okay.  The fact that it can take months, perhaps years or practice to really compete with the top players is pretty cool.  It points to a high level of difficulty; and that, to my mind is absolutely essential when you've got tens of thousands of people competing. 

RSS