Forums

Help › Forums

tiger in the woods

Mon, Apr 13 2015 10:24 PM (52 replies)
  • lee22sharon
    1,419 Posts
    Tue, Mar 31 2015 12:15 PM

Almost everything said in this thread I can agree with, and or know.  But 2 words were left out, Bobby Jones.  My nickle.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Tue, Mar 31 2015 1:45 PM

lee22sharon:

Almost everything said in this thread I can agree with, and or know.  But 2 words were left out, Bobby Jones.  My nickle.

It is true. Perhaps it is out of the earned respect and knowledge, World Wide, of who he is in golf. I have watched the cyber-vision film collection that Eli Callaway developed, and like anyone who has seen them, I come away dumb-founded by his skill. To own and routinely smooth an insertless, persimmon 2-wood off 1930 grass, onto a 1930 green using a 1930 "take your pick" compression golf ball and get it to a couple of feet, is a feat....by anyone else; To him it was as normal as a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. After all, it was all of the other names on this thread who were chasing his records ;-}   

• borntobesting
    9,623 Posts
    Wed, Apr 1 2015 2:30 PM

mnshiner:

You Folks are forgetting something in your debate. When Jack played the clubs and balls were a whole lot different than the ones they use today.

Yes but they were also able to change balls at will. On the drive and long approach shots you hit a distance ball and on short approach shots you switched to a higher spin ball. Nicklaus, Trevino and few others were masters at choosing the right ball for every shot. The USGA put a stop to that with the one ball rule. 

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Thu, Apr 2 2015 9:16 PM

borntobesting:

Yes but they were also able to change balls at will

Yeah, I asked my Dad about it and said that anybody wirh game, you know 5 hdcp or less, always had a mix of balata Titleist, Tourney Reds, Dots or Maxfli and some rock hard surlyn Top Flites or a more preferred Molitar. He said the Molitars were really long. 

• bubbsboy
    6,879 Posts
    Sat, Apr 4 2015 4:26 PM

Most of the older great players were competing around the same time. Who has Woods been competing with?

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Sun, Apr 5 2015 7:38 AM

bubbsboy:
    Who has Woods been competing with?

Let's see, well since '97, every professional on planet earth. Prior to that every amateur & jr. on planet earth....he prevailed in every case. His skill has proved to be so superior that it boiled down to competing with the golf course only....and himself ;-}

• bubbsboy
    6,879 Posts
    Sun, Apr 5 2015 10:14 AM

Yeah but Norman, Nicklaus, Watson, Ballesteros, Faldo to name but a few were competing

Woods major competitors awwwww yes Mickelson, Duvall, Mongomerie mmmm

Great player, in top 3 but dont like him one bit

But thats the good thing, all have different opinions

• TheAceFactor
    2,147 Posts
    Sun, Apr 5 2015 10:32 AM

My personal opinion is that he needs to adjust to what is and stop trying to continue what was. He has an injury that will never be able to handle the tremendous torque and power that his style generates. He needs to adjust to a more traditional , high finish , brain game. Will he be the longest ?  No ,  and you know what ,  it's OK !  Will he still pull PW in areas where most pulled 8i ?  No ,  and , it's  OK !  Will he ever accept this change and transition to what his body will now allow him to do ?   I'm not sure !

• lee22sharon
    1,419 Posts
    Sun, Apr 5 2015 1:40 PM

It is true that some of the greatest players had a 2 stage career.  First, the long balls, the long putts, and the ability to get out of trouble.  Second, a little less power, more accurate, less troubled lies, and in general playing a smarter game.

Those who can do both seem to be the ones most thought of as being a superior player over time.

Comparisons will always be made and it is fun to argue the merits of the player you favor, but it can only end in conflict with no clear answer.  my nickle.

• alosso
    21,037 Posts
    Sun, Apr 5 2015 2:08 PM

+1!

I admire Bernhard Langer! Seeing him live to claim the Senior Open victory last year REALLY was an EVENT for me - he looked so calm but his 13 stroke victory told a genuine story!

His path to international golf is extraordinary (what was his best handicap?).

His two Masters wins have paved the way for my start to golf for sure (14 years later, following the boom he created), and he has really started his 2nd career when he joined the Senior Tour.

Furthermore, he's a family guy. He has introduced at least three of his children to the Tour, in the Father&"Son" events and elsewhere. I do wonder NOT why none of them have tried other sports...

RSS