Forums

Help › Forums

Bandon dunes putting

rated by 0 users
Wed, Mar 18 2015 4:35 PM (5 replies)
  • Heath021
    378 Posts
    Tue, Mar 17 2015 12:13 PM

Can someone please tell me how much high winds moves the putts on Bandon Dunes?

I've been playing way too long not to know this.  It seems a 20mph side wind moves the ball about 1/4 square?

• CStaddon
    48 Posts
    Tue, Mar 17 2015 12:25 PM

I've had the same problem on Bandon.... Usually after I get a birdie. When that happens,  guaranteed on the next hole the wind suddenly defies all known laws of physics). IE 110 yards with 20mph oncoming wind needs a 5 iron at least, to make it to the hole. Any other time an 8 would get you there.

• Heath021
    378 Posts
    Tue, Mar 17 2015 12:37 PM

Then it won't break as much down hill as it does uphill ive noticed especially hole #1.

And who would play in 32mph winds anyway...lol?

The winds seam to react alot different than any other course.  Have not quite fiqured it out.

• bhoese
    679 Posts
    Wed, Mar 18 2015 7:14 AM

As IRL, the wind will push the ball more or less depending on the pace of the putt.  A 10-footer with 4 inches of downhill on Champ greens might have more wind effect than a 20-footer up 4 on a VF green.  It's more about the amount of time that the ball is in motion than it is about the distance traveled.

There is far more elevation change on the Bandon greens than there is on our other high-wind WGT courses, StA and RSG, where the greens are relatively flat.  The result is a lot more variation in wind effect from putt to putt.

One thing that we don't see (AFAIK) on WGT is the complex interaction between wind and topography that would produce really crazy results.  If you were to play Bandon IRL on 13 or 14 stimp greens in 32 MPH wind, you'd occasionally see the ball get blown completely off line.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Wed, Mar 18 2015 7:22 AM

Heath021:

The winds seam to react alot different than any other course.  Have not quite fiqured it out.

It seems to me that any learned traditional wind memory is not in play at Bandon. I suspect that it is likewise true playing there for real. That stretch of Oregon coastline is known for powerful, gusty, moisture filled, non-ending wind. Which is why the land there is so inexpensive for development...only a fool would live there. ;-} 

• SwingingRoofer
    456 Posts
    Wed, Mar 18 2015 4:35 PM

ive  played about ov er 100 rds match play n skins at bandon for creds just few holes u have to adjust they play diff the wind still same for most part n that's coming from someone who has played front 9 at least 100 time so I suggest just figure out which holes that is n dont cry about it n practice :)

RSS