Forums

Help › Forums

what am i doing wrong?

rated by 0 users
Tue, Mar 3 2015 2:03 PM (27 replies)
  • DUBWEISER
    25 Posts
    Sat, Feb 28 2015 11:28 PM

So i finally decided it was time to actually practice.....what happened is not what i expected and its left me more confused than before.

Attempting the same par 3 over and over, 8-10 mph breeze blowing NW direction. Hole is lower elevation, changed clubs to account for this. Leaving the pin alignment alone, as a control factor, i used full backspin, hit ding, ball rolls with in 5 feet of pin. So i'm happy, and decide to try the same exact shot over again. Same club, same backspin,same location, and hit ding again. The ball comes up short of the green by a few yards leaving me about 35' from pin. Sooo......i try again.....same results. i try again, this time it flies over the green. Mind u i am ONLY counting shots that were all identical, with ding.  I try once more,this time i land 2 feet from pin.

The wind is not blowing into my face, nor across the fairway, the wind indicator i approximately at  10 oclock. 

Why is there such a huge difference in shots? This wind shouldn't make the ball fall short, if anything it would make it blow off course mildly to the left,maybe a bit long, but not short. 

What am I not taking into consideration? 

• alosso
    21,034 Posts
    Mon, Mar 2 2015 12:24 AM

The same is not the same, not on the golf courses, not here.

Some call it VEM, some call it variation - it's a part of the game.

Furtheron, your Starter and low level clubs have under-average precision. It becomes better when you invest some more (e.g. L31 R11s).

You might also want to drop that %$"§$"! Starter wedge for another short Cleveland.

Costwise, you might exchange the L1 Callies for Tour-SD - it's good to be used to faster meters.

• DUBWEISER
    25 Posts
    Mon, Mar 2 2015 12:34 AM

alosso:

The same is not the same, not on the golf courses, not here.

Some call it VEM, some call it variation - it's a part of the game.

Furtheron, your Starter and low level clubs have under-average precision. It becomes better when you invest some more (e.g. L31 R11s).

You might also want to drop that %$"§$"! Starter wedge for another short Cleveland.

Costwise, you might exchange the L1 Callies for Tour-SD - it's good to be used to faster meters.

AHH HA!!  Thank you. Will take your advice into strong consideration. Many thx.

• oneeyedjohn
    9,567 Posts
    Mon, Mar 2 2015 6:44 AM

all of the above plus -

A few months back WGT changed how the wind strength is displayed from a single figure to a variable range. This means and allows for a difference of up to 3 mph on any one shot, and given that club yardages are not precise only an average estimation, even for top end clubs, then u have to accept the results u have described above.

It is also quite feasible that the wind can gust, giving u another variable.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Mar 2 2015 6:51 AM

DUBWEISER:

Built in variation based on the clubs you're using. This post may make it easier to understand.

• jayw4862
    3,364 Posts
    Mon, Mar 2 2015 7:50 AM

No matter what clubs you have (better ones would definitely help you, though), the ball will never, ever end up in the same place twice. Practice rounds are not a good way to map clubs, either. 

Icon calls it the circle of precision. I had posted a video of 20 dinged, full power, full spin shots on a Par 3 (#10 Best Of Hardest) and there was such a huge difference in where all 20 ended up. As much as 8 yards. This was done in a no-wind tourney setting, so technically, the wind couldn't be blamed. I asked, in the forums, why my shots were so inconsistent (I was using the Level 85 Nike Irons). 

When I took a shot of each ball on the green, and made a circle (connecting the outer dots, so to speak), I had a 24 ft "circle of precision, which means my ball, on a dinged shot would land anywhere in that 24 ft circle (one shot actually went in for a HIO). The circle seems smaller when there is some wind. So, I figured the wide COP (circle of precision) was to stop the seemingly easy Par 3 hole in one challenges, since non par 3 holes played pretty accurately. 

I guess as one moves up in tiers or levels, that COP gets smaller and smaller, even on putts. Here's why: The other day I logged off, and usually close the game client before logging out, but had left it open. I noticed it said play as guest or something like that, so I did. It gave me a starter ball and the original starter equipment. I played for about 30 minutes, and actually had fun. I also noticed that when putting, I could clearly see the ball would miss by several inches (not lip out, or even be close), yet it would magically disappear into the hole, lol. Any putt within a foot would just go in, as if some greenie ghost was kicking it in. Now, when I play, if I am not dead center, chances are I will miss, and have that .02 crap. There was no .02 using that beginners stuff. 

I assume it's set that way to entice new players to sign up or join. Bait and switch at it's finest, lol. Being an ex-car dealer, I can relate to that strategy, as it works wonderfully :-)

Just my thoughts.

• Woodoworkery
    3,498 Posts
    Mon, Mar 2 2015 7:58 AM

Call it what u may, its pure  deception. The game is a lottery  it does  what its programmed to do. In other words if this does this then this is the  result. Sometimes its to your favor, most of the time its not.

• donsprintr
    2,063 Posts
    Mon, Mar 2 2015 8:05 AM

Lol ... a used car dealer once  told me , "You just don't know when to buy one right." I told him, "I'm not buying this one either!"

• jayw4862
    3,364 Posts
    Mon, Mar 2 2015 8:42 AM

donsprintr:

Lol ... a used car dealer once  told me , "You just don't know when to buy one right." I told him, "I'm not buying this one either!"

LOL

• DUBWEISER
    25 Posts
    Mon, Mar 2 2015 1:12 PM

YankeeJim:

DUBWEISER:

Built in variation based on the clubs you're using. This post may make it easier to understand.

Hey thx for the link. Very helpful and simple to grasp. ++ And thx to the rest of u that chipped in as well. 

RSS