Forums

Help › Forums

Smooth Meter

Fri, Mar 6 2015 2:08 PM (36 replies)
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Feb 26 2015 10:20 AM

AndreasHelke:
    Yankee Jim, What did WGT aknowledge exactly and where do I find it?

http://www.wgt.com/forums/t/295098.aspx?PageIndex=21

Last post on the page.

• WGTadmin2
    1,152 Posts
    Thu, Feb 26 2015 11:43 AM

AndreasHelke - is mostly correct and thank you for the input.

This is what happened.  

The meter performance is a combination of our code running in the flashplayer on your machine.  

We can rewrite/optimize the code which will make the meter better or worse for everyone.  But once the code is live, we have no way on a daily or hourly basis, or a per person basis influence the performance of the meter.  Once the code is live, all the variations are due to your machine, operating system and flash player.  Even on the same machine if you have 3 apps open vs 1, or if you are streaming music, or you have the WGT.com site in the background...  these will all affect the meter.

With this last release in response to meter complaints, we made some major changes to the way the game renders which includes the meter (You will see that the frame rate has changed).  This investment was made in direct response to people who say we never do anything to make the basic game better. 

Unfortunately the changes had a negative affect on certain browser and flash player version combinations.  We then worked extra hard to fix those compatibility issues while maintaining the new rendering functions we deployed.

The end result as of 7pm last night is that we have the new rendering and it is now compatible with almost all customers.  

Thanks for your patience and I hope things are better for you on WGT.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Feb 26 2015 11:57 AM

What a great post. TYVM for that bookmark.  ;-)

• fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Thu, Feb 26 2015 12:29 PM

Thanks WGTAdmin, I can see that making it jumpy, but why/ and what can we do about the "racing" meter so to speak?

ie: meter approaches the ding at a smooth even speed then at the last second picks up speed and zooms past the ding...if it just flew all the way you could let it go or time it, but the last second full throttle catches you off guard.

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Thu, Feb 26 2015 12:51 PM

This page is now linked as an FAQ answered great on our CCs website - THANKS :)

• WGTadmin2
    1,152 Posts
    Thu, Feb 26 2015 3:34 PM

Fatdan :)  nice name

The meter accelerating (racing) is built into all the clubs on purpose, except the putters which we removed this affect a long time ago.  The club's meter speed attribute affects how fast the meter will speed up as it approaches the "ding".  So from the moment you let go and start the down swing the meter accelerates as it approaches the "ding"  You should not expect the clubs (other than putters) to be a constant speed the whole down swing.  

The reason have acceleration is to better simulate the affect of power and "over swinging" on your accuracy to "ding"  So the if you consistently only swing 80-90% of the full power you should be more accurate than if you use 100% power all the time.  using only 80% power means there is less distance to the ding to accelerate and therefore easier to time.

I hope that helps.

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Thu, Feb 26 2015 3:57 PM

WGTadmin2:
    The reason have acceleration is to better simulate the affect of power and "over swinging" on your accuracy to "ding"  So the if you consistently only swing 80-90% of the full power you should be more accurate than if you use 100% power all the time.  using only 80% power means there is less distance to the ding to accelerate and therefore easier to time.

Admin2 if i may,

Have to admit I always hit my irons a good 90% .....................I thought the idea was go choking irons down below that you lose distance accuracy?  Not saying that's a bad thing, just really asking if I have the general idea right really.  

Basically keep to 80 - 90% power and keep the swing smoothness, but lose out a little on what the full potential of a 90% + power swing can do for distance accuracy right?

Also is it possible to confirm that WGT do sometimes vary that 100% power acceleration a little?

I have never had a problem with that thinking it must help combat something somewhere, and IRL the Holy Grail is swinging bango every time.  I am always happy to have a run through, and some days ding more than others etc....

Cheers

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Feb 26 2015 4:28 PM

Accelerating through the swing is the way it's done IRL. Slow back swing, accelerating downswing through the ball. Not following the meter line with your eyes, rather let it enter your peripheral vision, minimizes this. A RL drive has you focused on the ball, not your club head. I treat the ding line the same way and that speed up has never bothered me.

• fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Thu, Feb 26 2015 4:41 PM

WGTadmin2:

Fatdan :)  nice name

HEY BUDDY! You will get a call from NARO(National Association for the Rights of the Obese ) for that remark!!! Nobody tells us we can only have a 16oz soda instead of a 30oz with our Super Deluxe triple Bacon cheeseburgers and cheese fries!

You better realize!!!!

LOL!!!

The meter accelerating (racing) is built into all the clubs on purpose, except the putters which we removed this affect a long time ago.  The club's meter speed attribute affects how fast the meter will speed up as it approaches the "ding".  So from the moment you let go and start the down swing the meter accelerates as it approaches the "ding"  You should not expect the clubs (other than putters) to be a constant speed the whole down swing.  

I hope that helps.

It does, Thank You, I figured it was something to do with the clubs being affected differently at times because as you said, never happens with the putter...but when I say racing, I don't mean accelerating...mine was so bad once at RSG I took my 3.5 meter Nikes out of play and switched to 3.0 Nikes, restarted and they were easier to hit than the slower ball because the acceleration was consistent, so sometimes that code gets way out of wack...any ideas why?

• fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Thu, Feb 26 2015 4:48 PM

YankeeJim:

Accelerating through the swing is the way it's done IRL. Slow back swing, accelerating downswing through the ball. Not following the meter line with your eyes, rather let it enter your peripheral vision, minimizes this. A RL drive has you focused on the ball, not your club head. I treat the ding line the same way and that speed up has never bothered me.

I power up, let it go and look away from the screen completely, by the time I get focused back on the meter it is just about time to hit...no way I could watch it all the way.

RSS