Forums

Help › Forums

Hybrid Sales

Thu, Mar 12 2015 10:00 AM (18 replies)
  • PAGES
  • olax
    61 Posts
    Thu, Feb 26 2015 5:07 AM

I bet you would sell alot more hybrids if you would let players remove the 3 iron from their bag.

• daveparr
    1,175 Posts
    Thu, Feb 26 2015 6:25 AM

Being fairly new to the game l copied other players and had 3 wedges and done away with the hybrid,But now l have gone back to the traditional setup of just 2, wedges and a hybrid l dont miss the 3rd wedge because now l mainly pitch and chip from close to the green, befor l just floped anything in range  very unimaginative style of play now l have  to think about the shots  l have a low level iron set the 3,iron maxes just 195yds, but they have 4, meter speed wich suits my slow Reflexes and the hybrid 215 yds has high loft and is as accurate and controlable as a iron is just a great club to have in the bag.

Dave

• xlviii
    502 Posts
    Thu, Feb 26 2015 9:58 AM

That can work for now, but you may find a problem when your wedge hits say 110 or more instead of 90. Then, only having two wedges can make it tough to hit some of the shots needed. Given your club setup, I'd probably play it the same way as you do with just the two wedges.

For me, I have a 227-yard 3W, a 200-yard 3I, and a 110-yard PW. I carry 3 wedges: 90, 75, and 50. I'm still wanting to upgrade the starter LW for a 60-yard wedge to close that gap and for better stopping power.

To the OP, I think you're right that being able to remove the 3-iron is a good idea and might increase sales of hybrids.

• lonniescott711
    4,182 Posts
    Thu, Feb 26 2015 10:25 AM

There really is no need for a hybrid . Most low to mid level iron sets will give you 200+ yards with the 3 iron . Once you get to the higher levels all of the 3 irons are 225 yards so using a hybrid is simply a wasted club . This is why most players dont use the hybrid and go with the 3 wedge set up . The 3rd wedge gives you more selections with the approach shots . The flop is a must learn shot and I would rather either punch or flop than pitch or chip with chip being the last resort .

But every player has to find what works best in their game . In most cases you can punch with the 3 wood and get 225 easily . Again no reason for the hybrid and every reason to use a  3rd wedge . Just my opinion as there is always more than one way to skin a cat .  Good luck with your game play well and have fun . :-)

• TarheelsRule
    5,468 Posts
    Thu, Feb 26 2015 11:09 AM

In real golf the hybrid has a place in almost every bag.

However in WGT there is not place for a hybrid because it just isn't necessary to play the game.    The best players are going to hit 90% of the fairways, leaving you with mid to short iron shots on virtually every hole except the par fives.    With the good 3 woods getting out there 245 and the top 3 iron getting 225, there just isn't enough gap to matter.  Plus having 3 additional wedges is more of an advantage than a hybrid.

As Lonnie mentioned above you will find 10 times more shots for the extra wedge than you will for a hybrid during a normal 18 hole round on WGT.

• JasonBlazer
    2,246 Posts
    Thu, Feb 26 2015 12:10 PM

"As Lonnie mentioned above you will find 10 times more shots for the extra wedge than you will for a hybrid during a normal 18 hole round on WGT."

Agreed 100%...and WGT knows this too, so makes you wonder why they introduced the upper-lever Adams Tight Lies...*shakes head*...

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Thu, Feb 26 2015 12:13 PM

I think from Master tees is where the OP is coming from.  Kind of see that the short tees is a drive and wedge.  Get to Legend and car park tees it's easy to see why most go with 3 wedges.

• DAZZA501
    5,972 Posts
    Thu, Feb 26 2015 12:21 PM

If they didn't keep making the hybrids go 225yds just like my 3 iron and made them go 237yds to slot nicely in-between my 3wood & 3iron then they sell a lot more.

• borntobesting
    9,623 Posts
    Thu, Feb 26 2015 12:49 PM

olax:

I bet you would sell alot more hybrids if you would let players remove the 3 iron from their bag.

I would never take my 3 iron out of my bag in favour of  a hybrid. Not here and certainly not in real golf! True long iron play for most amateurs now is a dying skill. First companies started dropping the 3 iron in favour of a hybrid then the 4 and now sets start as high a 6 or 7 iron. When will it end? When there are no irons in the bag at all?? Just 13 hybrids and a putter???

• olax
    61 Posts
    Thu, Feb 26 2015 1:13 PM

A purist...well by all means keep your 3 iron and balata wound balls, why not add a 2 iron and give up a wedge. Point being a hybrid can do the same as a 3 iron, a 3 iron cannot achieve the same results as a hybrid from places other than the fairway or tee, or a punched 3-wood etc... Chastise me if you must but I would like the option without having to sacrifice a wedge.

• PAGES
RSS