Forums

Help › Forums

Even or Uneven Lies

rated by 0 users
Thu, Feb 26 2015 1:02 PM (7 replies)
  • xlviii
    502 Posts
    Wed, Feb 25 2015 6:19 PM

On playing the back 9 on RSG a couple of times tonight, I encountered the same problem twice. Playing an even lies tournament, I had a  medium iron go about 10 yards short and off-target twice while shooting from off a hill.

In real life, I'd expect a shot on an uphill lie with the ball above or below me to go short and either right or left (depending on above or below), but I was under the impression that when playing on even lies that kind of thing doesn't happen. Is this a glitch, two strange coincidences, or is there some sort of adjustment to ball flight that happens even when playing "even lies"?

• TarheelsRule
    5,468 Posts
    Thu, Feb 26 2015 12:18 PM

The effect of the uneven lie on WGT is far too severe.   As you mention in real golf you can move the ball up or back in your stance, choke up on the club, flex your knees, etc. to make the shot more simple.   In WGT a severe lie is virtually unplayable, having to aim 20 yard left just because of you lie makes no sense.

I'm given up on this until they improve it.

• duffputt
    314 Posts
    Thu, Feb 26 2015 12:20 PM

It does happen in even lies.

But only on severe lies a la edge of bunker or the like.

Example is RSG no 7: if you're in the rough at severe uphill (your drive didnt clear the hill) normally a 100% punch 3w would give you over 200 yards, but in this uphill lie the ball will behave weird and you'll only go 70 yards.

So its almost even lies :-)

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Thu, Feb 26 2015 12:26 PM

IMHO DO (edit NOT) OVER COMPLICATE THIS.

You are new to the game and starting the enjoyment journey.

Use the basic calcs, having mapped your choice of one iron and one ball, and do not go swapping about.

Use Beth B9 low cross wind to get a good idea of how far your irons hit your ball.  Do this with 100% power neutral BS, and then same rolling BS back to 97% and then 96%.  Don't have to go mad at this stage, just 15 minutes getting a good feel will be plenty.

• xlviii
    502 Posts
    Thu, Feb 26 2015 12:27 PM

duffputt:

It does happen in even lies.

But only on severe lies a la edge of bunker or the like.

Example is RSG no 7: if you're in the rough at severe uphill (your drive didnt clear the hill) normally a 100% punch 3w would give you over 200 yards, but in this uphill lie the ball will behave weird and you'll only go 70 yards.

So its almost even lies :-)

Okay, this is the sense I got. This wasn't in the rough, but it was probably no 7 because it was a fairway with some pretty steep slopes. I ended up on the slope and my 8-iron seemed to bail out high and right coming up some 10-15 yards short. Nothing crazy like you mentioned, but still pretty noteworthy. I guess I just have to keep my eye out for this and learn where it can happen.

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Thu, Feb 26 2015 12:28 PM

I'll second duffputt's assessment here. I've seen this happen in flat-lie conditions as well, particularly at RSG.

Another place to watch for it is RSG #17: if your drive rests uphill on the big mound in the center of the fairway, anticipate the need for quite a bit extra to get up onto the green.

• xlviii
    502 Posts
    Thu, Feb 26 2015 1:02 PM

Ah yes, I was playing the back so it was likely 17 and certainly not 7.

I do have my irons pretty well mapped for the balls I use. I have a calculator I made which includes elevation, height, wind speed, and wind direction. It almost always very accurate.

Playing Bandon, I've found that high-speed crosswinds knock the ball down and that the wind seems to have less impact than it normally does. I'm not sure if that's because the wind effect is different there or if my distance adjustment breaks down at high wind speeds. Other than the slight adjustments I've learned to make there, that uphill on the fairway on RSG #17 is the only time I've had trouble being accurate...unless I accidentally use the wrong club or miss the ding by a lot.

I'm learning the game bit by bit. Thanks to everyone for your help. And hopefully I can be out of post moderation pretty soon. It makes it tough to carry on a discussion.

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Thu, Feb 26 2015 1:07 PM

Some holes play a little different, and just need to learn that IMHO......I have not seen any rule of thumb, but agree some shots you either know or do not.  I think at Pro level there is no need to get too hung up on all that though, just bear it in mind.

RSS