ledgen requirments

rated by 0 users
Sat, Feb 21 2015 7:10 PM (18 replies)
  • PAGES
  • IBTRYIN
    22 Posts
    Mon, Feb 16 2015 3:01 PM

Coyote,

I am new to posting so forgive me if I am out of line. I have a question about becoming Legend. I have been playing for awhile now and have been getting a little better. I continue to struggle with the snap line and the wind. It was mentioned that you have to have an average of 61 along with the number of ranked rounds. I may have had enough rounds, but was nowhere near 61 for an average. Somehow I became Legend. I am definitely not good enough to be at Legend Tier. The higher you go, the harder it gets. Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks, IBTRYIN.

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Mon, Feb 16 2015 6:27 PM

IBTRYIN:

Coyote,

I am new to posting so forgive me if I am out of line. I have a question about becoming Legend. I have been playing for awhile now and have been getting a little better. I continue to struggle with the snap line and the wind. It was mentioned that you have to have an average of 61 along with the number of ranked rounds. I may have had enough rounds, but was nowhere near 61 for an average. Somehow I became Legend. I am definitely not good enough to be at Legend Tier. The higher you go, the harder it gets. Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks, IBTRYIN.

Just a few pointers. You seem to have had some joy in the free tournaments looking at your earnings - these will accelerate your progression.

Yes the game gets harder as you progress, but would it not be boring if it didn't? Call it a challenge and treat it as such and you will continue to enjoy.

Advice to improve - 3 wedges and ditch the hybrid. And for that record, better wedges.But know what irons you want first to evenly match the wedges with your PW and working back.

Your irons are good but not high trajectory - wait till you can get the level 85 Nikes - still a way off but will help especially longer approaches you have at legend (and especially on elevated greens).

• IBTRYIN
    22 Posts
    Tue, Feb 17 2015 6:04 AM

alanti,

Thank you very much for the feedback. I do play mostly free tournaments. I don't play matches because I am very slow with trying to figure out the wind. I have gotten a little better, but it still takes me awhile. I also struggle with the snap-line, that is why I haven't gone to higher level irons because they have a faster snap-line. When I was Tour Master I was able to be somewhat competitive.

I do agree if the game was very easy it would get boring. I do appreciate the advice. I often wish I had 3 wedges in the bag. I actually use my hybrid quite a bit. It would be nice if you were able to swap out clubs before a round. 14 clubs is 14 clubs. I would swap out a 3 iron for another wedge.

Thank you again for the advice. IBTRYIN.

• kmarline21
    442 Posts
    Tue, Feb 17 2015 9:18 AM

The snap line I like that I always called it the dinger keep at it your almost there.

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Tue, Feb 17 2015 11:13 AM

IBTRYIN:
    14 clubs is 14 clubs

Well not quite as we have more in the bag.......by using the punch shot. I prefer to punch a 3W from rough (not too deep) than a hybrid. 3 wedges will get you up and down more often.

I always prefer to hit a full shot (or as close to it) rather than choke down the distance. An example is my 100 yard wedge - punch is rated at 83 yards so depending on wind can comfortably punch this wedge 87 yards using top spin and hitting a full shot.

Punch shots are not only useful from the rough, but I use them frequently on the fairway. Wind effect is also minimised as the shot is lower.

I gathered hitting the ding (snap line) was an issue and slower meter clubs are your preference. I used the G20's (old model G25's) due to the meter speed, but when I did buy the much faster R11's it took some getting used to but I finally adjusted.

Practice using the free ball - much quicker and when you revert back to the Max, you should find this easier to hit the ding. Worth a try..

• IBTRYIN
    22 Posts
    Wed, Feb 18 2015 6:10 AM

I am going to start practicing a bit more using the punch shots. Thank you so much for the advice. I really appreciate it. Any advice from a top player is always gold.

• borntobesting
    9,623 Posts
    Thu, Feb 19 2015 7:53 AM

IBTRYIN:

I am going to start practicing a bit more using the punch shots. Thank you so much for the advice. I really appreciate it. Any advice from a top player is always gold.

One thing that might help you as much as anything else would be to change to a better ball. The Max has a slow meter but that is just about all it offers. With only 2 distance and no spin it doesn't really help that much. A better ball at same price would be the level 34 Callaway slow meter ball. It does have a faster meter but it has 2 more on distance and has 2.5 spin and more durability. Once you get to where you can manage the faster meter it will really help your game. 

The cally has 4.0 distance  The max  has    2.0 distance

2.5 spin                                      0  spin

2.5 durability                              2.0 durability

3.5 speed                                   5.0 speed

The extra distance and spin make up for the faster meter. And I'm close to 69 years old and except for a few brain fart late hits I handle the speed quite well. 

• keidan
    311 Posts
    Sat, Feb 21 2015 12:21 PM

borntobesting:

IBTRYIN:

One thing that might help you as much as anything else would be to change to a better ball. The Max has a slow meter but that is just about all it offers. With only 2 distance and no spin it doesn't really help that much. A better ball at same price would be the level 34 Callaway slow meter ball. It does have a faster meter but it has 2 more on distance and has 2.5 spin and more durability. Once you get to where you can manage the faster meter it will really help your game. 

The cally has 4.0 distance  The max  has    2.0 distance

2.5 spin                                      0  spin

2.5 durability                              2.0 durability

3.5 speed                                   5.0 speed

The extra distance and spin make up for the faster meter. And I'm close to 69 years old and except for a few brain fart late hits I handle the speed quite well. 

I changed from the Max Pro to the 81 Nike and agree about improving performance at the expense of re-learning the timing and a few more missed dings.  That said, there are plenty of top Tour Legends that pulverize the game with the Max ball. And of course it will be a little while before you reach level 81.

I changed to the Nike because I wanted more distance and spin to compete with the clubs available to me on the Legend tees.  Who knows, I may go back to the Max with highest performing equipment made available to me (much) later on.

The Nikes are 100 credits more for a sleeve than the Callaways but still priced slightly below the Max balls and more durable.  They are also rated at 3.5 speed so there will be no meter difference if you switch to them (from choosing the Callys) when you get there.

Adding to borntobesting's table:

The cally has 4.0 distance  The max  has    2.0 distance      Nike has 5.0 distance

2.5 spin                                      0  spin                                 4.0  spin

2.5 durability                              2.0 durability                      2.5  durability

3.5 speed                                   5.0 speed                          3.5  speed

• derekortt
    656 Posts
    Sat, Feb 21 2015 7:10 PM

I'd ignore the max tables as he's using the max pro ball, that has 2.5 spin

I wouldn't get the Callies. If you want to compete as a legend, get the 

NIKE 20XI-X L 79 balls

• PAGES
RSS