Forums

Help › Forums

Can't Get Any Backspin on Iron Shots

Sat, Feb 14 2015 2:08 PM (25 replies)
  • garyk49
    2,313 Posts
    Fri, Feb 13 2015 7:41 AM

Thank You, Jim.

Punishment, different usage in sentence, to the word ISH(punish) used in post.  

• ISH47
    1,963 Posts
    Fri, Feb 13 2015 9:00 AM

I rarely ever hit the ding.. be it from bad eyes, bad hand-eye coordination, or anything else that could effect it.. so I can't speak to what you and YJ are experiencing Gary.

All I can say for sure is that either the forgiveness of my irons has changed for the worse or there's been more emphasis put on hitting the ding within the programming to cause worse deviation to occur on ding misses.

I used to do quite well on my approaches regardless of whether I missed my mark or not. Now, the only time I can stick one tap-in close is when I hit the ding.. otherwise I'm anywhere from 15-25 feet DTP.  

If this isn't happening to anyone else, I'm happy for you.. I really am.  Just don't tell me that I don't know what's going on with my own game.. You'd be either calling me a liar or stupid.

My scores and stats have all digressed since the first of the year.. I don't care, it's fine with me. I wasn't any good at this game to begin with, now I'm worse. It's all good.

I respect everyone's opinions here as long as they've played enough rounds that I think they've got experience. If you say your game is harder on you because you hit the ding a lot or because you score low all the time, I'm inclined to believe that. I'm not gonna call you out because I'm not seeing the same thing within my own game.

Have a good weekend when you get around to it..

ISH

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Feb 13 2015 9:38 AM

ISH47:
    I used to do quite well on my approaches regardless of whether I missed my mark or not. Now, the only time I can stick one tap-in close is when I hit the ding.. otherwise I'm anywhere from 15-25 feet DTP.  

There's something to be said for the actual number of rounds played here. IMO, you have a lot more grief to face as the game adapts to how well you're doing. You've apparently advanced at a faster rate than Gary as he's within a stroke or so of you and has 2000 more ranked rounds under his belt. I'll bet he's seen what you're seeing now. I know I have as I progressed. It's one of the frustrating parts of how this game works and is also the subject of a large number of rants. 

The best thing you can do is adapt. If something isn't working like it used to, change something. This new rough business is forcing everybody to do just that. Granted, WGT initiated the change this time but the background forces at work on you do the same thing. It isn't WGT picking on you or trying to sell you more balls, it's just the way the game changes as you progress. 

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Fri, Feb 13 2015 10:25 AM

WGTdbloshoe:

TheDarkKnight4:

I move the dot on the ball on the bottom right of my screen and put the dot on the very bottom of the ball.  Still I get NO backspin whatsoever.  Tips?

With the starter equipment the amount of spin your get is pretty minimal.  To really get the benefits you will have to get better equipment.  At your tier and level concentrate more on putting and hitting the ding line.

- WGTdbloshoe

Hey Dark Knight ! If I may add to Shoe's post, for one to be expected to hit one vertical pixel line is much to asked for with fast meter starter clubs & balls. In fact, it is close to pure luck. Bearing this in mind, it is much easier to hit before the ding line or after it to counter-act the wind or the breaking putt...as for the back-spin, there is none with the starter gear ~ SP ~ 

• LOLserver
    3,522 Posts
    Fri, Feb 13 2015 11:25 AM

YankeeJim:

It isn't WGT picking on you or trying to sell you more balls, ....

Lol, WGT is not only trying to seel you balls but equipment too.

...lets me put it this way, WGT wants you to use your money in the game.

Up to you if you want to carry on playing for free but indeed, you cannot be competitive whenever you get new & longer tees

Good luck, Eric. 

• ISH47
    1,963 Posts
    Fri, Feb 13 2015 11:46 AM

YankeeJim:
    it's just the way the game changes as you progress. 

I can appreciate that, and I believe it to be true.. mainly because these changes don't happen to everyone at the same time. That's why you have someone like me come in here and rant about it, followed by someone else telling them they're crazy.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Feb 13 2015 12:08 PM

ISH47:
    That's why you have someone like me come in here and rant about it, followed by someone else telling them they're crazy.

LOL. Some rants ARE crazy and some crazies just rant. Just pick through the debris and take what's appropriate for you. ;-)

• garyk49
    2,313 Posts
    Fri, Feb 13 2015 12:22 PM

Crazy???? I believe this is directed at me.  ISH, let me say I am sorry, as it was never my intentions to say you were not seeing what was happening to you.

Based on other forum discussions/topics that I have read, and personal experience, it appeared that if any programming changes had been made by WGT they leaned more towards what I posted.

Again I am sorry if you took it any other way.

To the OP, as others have said.  Little if any backspin will be accomplished with starter equipment.  Some can be had with other balls, but not enough to make that much difference.  Play, enjoy the game for what it is.  To be more competitive, either buy or earn credits for better equipment.

Tier up at a decent pace, learn the courses and how shots play.  You will just hurt yourself in the long run if you try to tier up too quickly.

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Fri, Feb 13 2015 12:26 PM

YankeeJim:
    What's so outlandish about what Gary thinks?

Nothing outlandish and nothing new - these allegations have been around as long as I have been here.

I did say a high ding rate may result in manipulation (I avoided the term punishment as well) but there (my observation) is no evidence this is the case. I do believe that the program may read your game and turn up or turn down variation - whether you hit the ding a lot, or conversely miss it a lot.What the parameters are is pure conjecture and for every arguement for, there is an arguement against.

I have in the past taken detailed notes delve into this, and every time I think I have a solution there is a counter argument.

Whether or not a flash based game has the ability to record and then manipulate data such as a ding is another thing - one which I am not qualified to say.

This is explains the great start/bad start scenarios that we all have.

Replays show nothing - and I believe this is why WGT will never add the full details - only the result that is inconclusive.

Again from my experience, ding or close to it will produce a much better shot than a missing it by more than a few pixels.

But when players start saying it is 50 -60 yards long or 20 -30 yards short I will place my bottom dollar on it being player error or a bug. This has nothing to do with the circle or precision. !0 yards or so, yes I will believe. This is where tin foil hats are needed.

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Fri, Feb 13 2015 12:41 PM

alanti:
    But when players start saying it is 50 -60 yards long or 20 -30 yards short I will place my bottom dollar on it being player error or a bug. This has nothing to do with the circle or precision. !0 yards or so, yes I will believe. This is where tin foil hats are needed.

Possibly maybe related:

When I first got my L100 irons I was ding king for a few holes - whoopee.  Sheer coincidence that part very likely.  What was defeating me though was my yardages sucked.  Playing A/S was just embarrassing, and I was recording consistently worst ever RR scores as a TL.  Now that was with the L90 ball, and so loaded a L61 (like that ball now I think anyway), and soon got things under control (after the small learning curve with a lower spin ball).

Couple of days ago reloaded the L90 ball still with the new irons and all gold.  Everything just  immediately working as would expect really.  Beats me.......

RSS