Forums

Help › Forums

Can't Get Any Backspin on Iron Shots

Sat, Feb 14 2015 2:08 PM (25 replies)
  • TheDarkKnight4
    1 Posts
    Wed, Feb 11 2015 4:25 PM

I move the dot on the ball on the bottom right of my screen and put the dot on the very bottom of the ball.  Still I get NO backspin whatsoever.  Tips?

• WGTdbloshoe
    2,840 Posts
    Wed, Feb 11 2015 4:32 PM

TheDarkKnight4:

I move the dot on the ball on the bottom right of my screen and put the dot on the very bottom of the ball.  Still I get NO backspin whatsoever.  Tips?

With the starter equipment the amount of spin your get is pretty minimal.  To really get the benefits you will have to get better equipment.  At your tier and level concentrate more on putting and hitting the ding line.

- WGTdbloshoe

• MMills785
    779 Posts
    Wed, Feb 11 2015 5:56 PM

Lesson learned,take the clubs you have and adjust to them with out back spin. In my opinion to much is made on the backspin, i learned this the hard way. practice on the stroke play options,also where you can use the mulligan option. You can level up to fast and  not have equipment you need to advance forward. Check the pro shop as you move up it will give you a good idea of how you are doing. Wgt has done a good job in  keeping the equipment available to match your level. Most important keep it fun and donot make it a job. Okay now will come my  hammering for this post lol.

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Thu, Feb 12 2015 11:27 AM

DB fully explained the spin, but my advice it to just enjoy the game and do not upgrade equipment from the late level 50's where the G25s are available. You could get some lower level wedges (circa level 40) and some cheaper WGT balls that have spin attributes (I used the Tour SD until legend) which will vastly improve your short game.

But there is no hurry unless you have money to burn - then you can upgrade frequently as the lower level clubs will not last as you tier up.

That said you shot a 79 in the Alliance tourney - very promising start - in fact considerably better than me as a newbie. But then I looked at the leader board to see a 59, a number of 60's and a lot of players at 10 under - all at hack level!

Crickey are these guys naturals or what!!!!

• ISH47
    1,963 Posts
    Thu, Feb 12 2015 8:14 PM

WGTdbloshoe:
    hitting the ding line.

Hmm..  First time I think I've ever seen a mod stress the importance of this.  Could it be because there's been a recent change in programming to punish those who don't/can't hit the ding?

• garyk49
    2,313 Posts
    Thu, Feb 12 2015 8:36 PM

ISH47:

WGTdbloshoe:
    hitting the ding line.

Hmm..  First time I think I've ever seen a mod stress the importance of this.  Could it be because there's been a recent change in programming to punish those who don't/can't hit the ding?

Actually, if I am not mistaken.  The punishment is towards those that can hit it.  To stop the auto dingers, BUT, at times people are able to hit the ding on most shots.  Guess what, we get punished when we can accomplish that.  Ding a lot, then the strange shots tend to appear.

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Fri, Feb 13 2015 12:04 AM

garyk49:
    Actually, if I am not mistaken.  The punishment is towards those that can hit it.  To stop the auto dingers, BUT, at times people are able to hit the ding on most shots.  Guess what, we get punished when we can accomplish that.  Ding a lot, then the strange shots tend to appear.

I think you need to wear a tin foli hat when you play. I cannot deny that there will be some manipulation if you have a very high ding percentage, nor can I confirm that as I struggle most days to hit the ding.

I just played RSG, I hit 4 dings in 9 holes - 2 were putts. I missed a 5 footer to be 2 under after 2, 3rd hole missed the ding by a small margin (early) and found very deep rough - double bogey (missed a bogey putt via a missed ding).

The next few holes were ordinary, apart - either short or long (all my fault) then I chipped in having missed the ding. The par 5 7th was a dinged drive and left me 227 yards. Well I clicked very late and should have been for all money way right but ended up 7 feet from the hole.

I carded a 31 - the hard way. On days when my co-ordination is better, I do hit more dings, and generally will score better.

We all suffer from deviation, ding or no ding. Sometimes it works against us, others it helps us.

Someone did ask if ding percentage could be added to the stats - would make interesting reading but I do not think the players with a high ding rate would be disadvantaged in any way.

• 2DAMFLASHY
    1,141 Posts
    Fri, Feb 13 2015 2:51 AM

EXTRA STRENGTH TIN FOIL......^^  ( for the g man )

im sorry... but i find it absolutely amazing that..

DING !!!!!!!!!   ...ahhh,,, never mind gotta go ....

peace   ..:)_~~

• garyk49
    2,313 Posts
    Fri, Feb 13 2015 6:18 AM

Yep, I guess that is what I need to do.

Fukking amazing responses.

Should quote a couple of things in one of them, but I am not going to bother.

And yes, understand deviation, and post had nothing to do with that.  Maybe it is just a problem with my iron/ball combination.  Might explain 20-30 yards short shots or 50-60 yards long shots.  Try dinging every shot for 3-4 holes, then it seems to be when they tend to pop up.  Yep, some days I can, others, the ding could be 2 feet wide and I couldn't hit it.

Maybe I should stick to reading the forums and not posting in them.  Make a correction based on what I have read and see this Crap, oh well.

But I guess it's just me.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Feb 13 2015 7:05 AM

alanti:

garyk49:

I think you need to wear a tin foli hat when you play.

What's so outlandish about what Gary thinks? I wouldn't call it punishment like he does but for damn sure there's no special meaning to hitting the ding these days. A line or 2 miss into winds gets excellent results whereas hitting that ding in a crosswind invariably gets you more wind influence than you expect.

It's not so farfetched that ever since that CE bs the ding carries different deviations than it used to. I use the most accurate clubs there are, extremely easy to ding, and I still go for that strategic miss because of this. 

RSS