Forums

Help › Forums

What's the correct distance to the pin ???

rated by 0 users
Mon, Feb 2 2015 10:03 AM (4 replies)
  • slicer0O7
    123 Posts
    Sat, Jan 31 2015 5:11 AM

Just an example, is on different courses and holes applicable :

Standing on Tee, also applicable in in-game situations !!

Distance to the hole (on right upper corner) = 495 yd

Distance when you move your cursor over you (player (small figure right under)) =448 yd

Which distance is correct ?? In course management (tactical play) is this super important, I want to lay up my ball on a perfect distance from the flag,

Very important also on PAR 3 holes and approach shots !!!!!

Can't paste an example of this situation

• ApexPC
    3,164 Posts
    Sun, Feb 1 2015 10:39 AM

Hover your cursor over the blue dot on the mini-map that represents you.

That is the straight line distance to the hole: from the tee or anywhere else on the hole.

Note: that distance does not account for elevation difference between the lie of your ball and the hole. With elevation change use the Pythagorean theorem to determine the distance. 

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Sun, Feb 1 2015 1:37 PM

+1

On Par3s and after the first shot, the number top right is the correct distance to the pin, like on the blue dot.

Only on the tee of Par4s and Par5s, it's the scorecard length which may or may not correspond with the distance to one of the pins.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Mon, Feb 2 2015 9:45 AM

ApexPC:
    Note: that distance does not account for elevation difference between the lie of your ball and the hole.

Interesting, how do you know for a fact the distance given does not account for elevation difference between the ball and hole?  Did I miss that memo? Since points in 3 dimensions consist of 3 coordinates (x,y,z) why wouldn't the straight line distance, as you called it, between point A (the ball) and point B (the hole) include all 3 coordinates?  Personally, I always thought the shot adjustment for elevation change was to account for the trajectory of the ball flight either getting cut short for elevated shots, or extended for downhill shots.

Not that its even worth mentioning since the difference in distance is relatively very small anyway. Even on the most severe height difference around, Whistler #10 at 129yds down 46 ft, the difference is less than a yard. (2.72 ft to be precise using Pythagorean Theorum)  I'm just curious.

• Woodoworkery
    3,498 Posts
    Mon, Feb 2 2015 10:03 AM

Love it Andy

RSS