Forums

Help › Forums

Distance Control Tips: Putting and Full Swing

Tue, Nov 30 2010 6:44 PM (10 replies)
  • PAGES
  • W000T
    104 Posts
    Sat, Nov 20 2010 3:22 PM

Hello there WGT players and moderators, this post is made so I may share my WGT experiences and notes, that I've made as I played WGT.  The two things I'd like to share at this moment are distance tips on putting and distance tips on full swing shots.  Maybe my notes will help your game or you can add parts to your own shot making technique.

The way I find how hard I should hit my putts isn't that complex.  First I'd like you to know that this formula is based upon very fast green speeds.  Very fast seems to be very common speed seen by most players, because a lot of players range from pro, tour pro, and master.  Now to get down to it.  The first step is to simply take the distance to the hole and add the elevation to the distance if the hole is higher or subtract the elevation to the distance if the hole is lower.  The second step is based off very fast greens, and for very fast greens subtracting one foot per 10 feet, works nicely for me.  Then you should have your distance to hit the putt, which brings you to the third step.  Third is to find that distance on your putter's meter.  Here's some examples of finding putt distance:

(32ft distance - 1ft per 10ft) - 4in down = 25ft putt

(11ft distance - 1ft per 10ft) + 1in up = 11ft putt

(66ft distance - 1ft per 10ft) - 11in down = 45.5ft putt

Full swing shots have many more factors that effect how hard to hit the shot.  These factors include elevation, wind, green slope, and green speed.  For now I've only found a formula that works well on elevation.  Elevation effects a shots distance differently depending on total shot distance.  I find how much is effected by multiplying elevation and 100.  With that total I then divide that by distance.  The answer after division is how much you should add or subtract.  Add if the hole location is higher, and subtract if the hole location is lower.  You should also take into account that higher elevations cause more roll and lower elevations cause less roll.  I haven't found any formula to find how much wind effects shots at various distances.  If anyone knows one, please post it.  Here's some examples of finding distance on full swing shots (keep in mind you should subtract some if the shot involves rolling on the green):

(25ft down elevation x 100 / 135yrd total distance) - total distance = 116.5yrd shot

I'll break that equation down for you.  Take the elevation of 25ft and multiply it by 100, that gives you 2,500.  Take that 2,500 and divide it by the total distance of 135yrds.   That will give you 18.5 which is how much you will subtract from the total distance of 135yrds.   Finally you get your distance you should hit your shot, which is 116.5yrds.  If the hole was an upward elevation you would of added that to the total distance.

I hope these tips help you sink more putts and hit them close!

Sincerely,

-W000T

• dchallenger
    545 Posts
    Sat, Nov 20 2010 5:25 PM

Is this why WGT have offered shorter shot clocks?

d.  :)

• cornwell74
    1 Posts
    Sat, Nov 20 2010 5:40 PM

Wow. That's the most confusing thing I've ever read. Hegel, Heidigger and Wittgenstein have nothing on you.

Perhaps this is all valid and actionable information, however it is so badly explained I have no idea.

Try putting it in much simpler terms.

• Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Sat, Nov 20 2010 8:36 PM

Wind effects on irons is different for each club.  Depending on the ball your using will also impact carry and roll as well.  Secondly, the amount of spin applied can also influence the results of a full shot.  The only thing I can suggest is take lots of notes.  CTTH challenges in various wind conditions is invaluable in understanding the impact of wind on your clubs.  Using your notes you will be able to get a feel for the wind and over time it will become second nature as to how much spin to apply on a full shot in certain wind conditions.  Just like real golf, it has alot to do with feel.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Sat, Nov 20 2010 10:06 PM

While I agree with Infinito, the short-cut is just hit the ball and figure it out for yourself.

• borntobesting
    9,605 Posts
    Sun, Nov 21 2010 1:47 AM

Infinito3010:

Wind effects on irons is different for each club.  Depending on the ball your using will also impact carry and roll as well.  Secondly, the amount of spin applied can also influence the results of a full shot.  The only thing I can suggest is take lots of notes.  CTTH challenges in various wind conditions is invaluable in understanding the impact of wind on your clubs.  Using your notes you will be able to get a feel for the wind and over time it will become second nature as to how much spin to apply on a full shot in certain wind conditions.  Just like real golf, it has alot to do with feel.

Also winds affects the different club sets differently. Strong head winds have a greater effect on the G10's because of their higher trajectory. I agree about the CTTH challenges but also setting up practice rounds with varying winds conditions help greatly.But as you said a great deal of it comes down to feel 

• SGTBilko
    1,686 Posts
    Sun, Nov 21 2010 4:28 AM

W000T:

(32ft distance - 1ft per 10ft) - 4in down = 25ft putt

(11ft distance - 1ft per 10ft) + 1in up = 11ft putt

(66ft distance - 1ft per 10ft) - 11in down = 45.5ft putt

Full swing shots have many more factors that effect how hard to hit the shot.  These factors include elevation, wind, green slope, and green speed.  For now I've only found a formula that works well on elevation.  Elevation effects a shots distance differently depending on total shot distance.  I find how much is effected by multiplying elevation and 100.  With that total I then divide that by distance.  The answer after division is how much you should add or subtract.  Add if the hole location is higher, and subtract if the hole location is lower.  You should also take into account that higher elevations cause more roll and lower elevations cause less roll.  I haven't found any formula to find how much wind effects shots at various distances.  If anyone knows one, please post it.  Here's some examples of finding distance on full swing shots (keep in mind you should subtract some if the shot involves rolling on the green):

(25ft down elevation x 100 / 135yrd total distance) - total distance = 116.5yrd shot

I'll break that equation down for you.  Take the elevation of 25ft and multiply it by 100, that gives you 2,500.  Take that 2,500 and divide it by the total distance of 135yrds.   That will give you 18.5 which is how much you will subtract from the total distance of 135yrds.   Finally you get your distance you should hit your shot, which is 116.5yrds.  If the hole was an upward elevation you would of added that to the total distance.

I hope these tips help you sink more putts and hit them close!

Unofficially this has to be th Rube Golberg Formula for a Golf Putt.

• W000T
    104 Posts
    Tue, Nov 23 2010 12:54 AM

I'd like to add that I said to reduce your putts on very fast greens by 1ft per 10ft, but that was just for quick reference.  If you really want the perfect distance on your putt, 1.5ft per 10ft is right on the money.  Here's an example to demonstrate:

Let's say you have a flat 38ft putt on a very fast green.  Finding the distance would look like this, 3.8 X 1.5 = 5.7ft then subtract 5.7ft from 38ft for the distance you want to hit the putt, which would be 32.3ft.  If the elevation was 2in down, you would subtract 2ft from your last answer giving you a result of a putt that needs to be hit at 30.3ft.  But if the elevation was 2in up, you'd add 2ft to the distance after the very fast formula giving you a result of a putt that needs to be hit at 34.3ft.

Hope you hit them close,

-W000T

• chrisironsbones
    3,524 Posts
    Thu, Nov 25 2010 10:19 AM

You don't really need to be einstein or have a formula, a simpler version for us mortals....if the elevation is 24 foot uphill, and 130 yards to hole, 24feet is 8 yards (24 divide by 3)Remember 1 yard = 3 foot.. so add 8 yards to 130. There..SIMPLE!

And for putting (this is just aproximate)

Fast green divide the putting distance by 1.1.

V.Fast greens, divide distance of putt with 1.2

Tournament greens, divide distance with 1.3

Then that should be power..i.e if putt is 48 foot, on tourney greens. 48 divide with 1.3= 36 ish. so hit putt with 36 worth of power. see for yourself how putts go, (adjust a few feet up or down if needed)

• RRSMYSER
    11 Posts
    Thu, Nov 25 2010 11:02 AM

Information is power, I wouldn't be half as good as I am without listening to and following the advice of others...

In the end, you've got to hit a lot of shots to get good at this, but following this and other tricks from the Legends and Masters will hasten the pace....

• PAGES
RSS