Help › Forums

Tour Putter vs Standard putter

rated by 0 users
Wed, Jul 1 2009 4:23 PM (12 replies)
  • PAGES
  • anotherhook
    17 Posts
    Wed, Jun 24 2009 7:43 PM

This is just a quick query as to how much better / different the tour starter putter is over the basic putter. As you cant trial it I was curious to see whether people thought it actually was better for putting with..

• callawayjay
    46 Posts
    Wed, Jun 24 2009 8:02 PM

For what's it worth, don't waste your cash on the upgrade.  The standard is much more forgiving.

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Wed, Jun 24 2009 8:12 PM

I'd suggest just the opposite.  While the regular starter has a slower meter which makes it easier to hit, it is all or nothing.  If you miss the mark, you miss the putt.  The Tour  Starter moves slightly faster, but there is a small allowance for mishits on putts inside 10 feet or so.  Outside of that range, there isn't much difference due to the low balance of both putters.

• anotherhook
    17 Posts
    Wed, Jun 24 2009 8:19 PM

Thanks for the advice guys - sounds like the same discussion people have with other club upgrades...

I have found the 8 to 15 ft putts the hardest to get on line - Just off the line and you are in a world of pain - when you say there is a "little" forgivness, is that one pixel worth or a few more?

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Wed, Jun 24 2009 8:26 PM

1 or 2 at the most, and it's not always there.  There have been plenty of times when I thought I was going to miss and it would just barely slide in the edge.  So, let me say it this way.  You'll have a higher percentage chance of making those slightly mishit putts around 10 feet with the Tour Starter.  Remember, the trade off is the faster meter speed, so you may miss more than usual in the early going while you adjust.  You'll see the best results once you zero in and start ringing the bell (or just barely missing) on a consistent basis.

It doesn't seem like much, but that could mean 2 or 3 strokes off your average.  That's probably worth the $1.20

• anotherhook
    17 Posts
    Thu, Jun 25 2009 7:34 AM

Thanks for the feedback - now I just need to find a meter that doesn't jump on the 17th at kiawah so I don't end up in the water.......

I reckon when I earn my way up to 120 credits it will be a good present for me for being obsessed with this game.

• callawayjay
    46 Posts
    Thu, Jun 25 2009 9:25 PM

nivlac, I take offense to your dismissal of my suggestion to the original poster.  For in your response to my post, I believe you  confirmed my point.  Yes the upgrade putter "claims" better forgiveness, however if you notice most of the top guns here still use the old putter, for a) it is more reliable from a swing performance, and b) easier to get used to.  Inside 10 feet, you should hit the "mark" more often than not, but it's the 20 and 30 footers that count, because their is a longer swing evidently, and, especially if they release the full 18 for St-Andrews.

Bottom line is if you miss the "mark" you are pretty screwed unless you aimed wrong and get lucky...lol.

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Thu, Jun 25 2009 9:41 PM

How did I dismiss you?  I wasn't even addressing you.

I have played extensively with both the starter and tour starter putter in all phases of the game.  I offered my opinion on the subject and presented the reasons why I felt that way.

What is there to take offense too?

*edit* I'm not sure who you consider the top dogs to be, but the consensus #1 and #2 (tibbets and AvatarLee) both use the Tour Starter.  Take it for what it's worth.

• callawayjay
    46 Posts
    Thu, Jun 25 2009 9:57 PM

In your original post  following mine in this thread, you clearly contradict yourself.  I will not re-write verbatim what you wrote, you can re-read your own post for what it was worth.  Bottom line, the standard is a good putter and unfortunately at this time, the tour putter upgrade is not worth the extra coin.  The "average" person on here is not adept enough to benefit from the marginal forgiveness the upgrade provides.

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Thu, Jun 25 2009 10:20 PM

I've re-read my post a few times now and I don't see where I've contradicted myself.  As I said, I've only mentioned my opinion which is based on extensive use of both putters.  Disregard me completely if you want, because it is what it is.  Only my opinion.

• PAGES
RSS