Forums

Help › Forums

FINE TUNING PUTTING - HOW TO ADJUST FOR LYING DOTS

Tue, Jan 27 2015 10:27 AM (11 replies)
  • PAGES
  • bigseanbig
    511 Posts
    Mon, Jan 26 2015 9:40 PM

For those who have hit a putt and it breaks no where near what the dots are showing, here is a strategy to adjust for those "lying dots".

Intro

There are no such thing as "lying dots".  It all has to do with the angle of the putting grid and how it relates to your ball and the hole (sort of like how the wind angle shown isn't exactly correct if your avatar isn't perfectly aligned with the pin on an approach shot). I'll attempt to explain it with the examples below.

Examples

1) Lets say you have a uphill putt. 

If you line the putting grid up with your ball and the hole, it forms a perfect line.  This means whatever direction the dots are moving that's exactly how the putt will break . Ideally every putt should look like this, but WGT is made by a compilation of pictures so not everything lines up perfectly (see examples below).

2) Now let's say you have the uphill putt below:

See how the putting grid is rotated in relation to the ball and the hole. The dots show a right to left break from the viewpoint of the avatar but it is actually a straight uphill putt with no break.  Because the putting grid is rotated, it doesn't form a perfect line with the ball and the hole. Right to left movement of the dots is due to the upslope and rotation of the putting grid (This causes the dots to move "down" the slope from right to left). 

3) This example shows the opposite situation to example 2:

Again the putting grid is not aligned with the ball and the hole. The dots will show that there is a severe left to right break from the viewpoint of the avatar. However, the left to right break is actually very minor (almost a straight uphill putt). Left to right movement of the dots is due to rotation of the putting grid causing the dots to move down the slope from left to right.

4) For downhill putts its the same effect if the putting grid isn't perfectly lined up:

This putt will show slightly more of a right to left break than there really is.

5) For flat putts the dots are accurate enough that if the putting grid is rotated it doesn't affect the break on the putt very much.

Strategy

I can usually figure out how much the dots are "lying" by using front and reverse camera angles and comparing how rotated the putting grid is (but takes a bit of practice). The different camera angles may show different breaks but once you correct for it with this method you will end up with one break that you can be confident in.

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Mon, Jan 26 2015 10:05 PM

Very good work Sean....and not a mention of a gol......nm lol :))

Just kidding, this is what the forums are about - sharing knowledge - awesome and thanks for taking the time to post this.

• ISH47
    1,963 Posts
    Mon, Jan 26 2015 10:30 PM

If that's true, and from my experience at missing putts like that a lot I'd have to agree, then that's a great observation..  Wish I had a nickle for every time I've added break to a putt only to see the ball sail right past the hole in a dead straight line.

Next time my avatar is offset like that I'm gonna heed your advice here.. Damn sure can't hurt. Thanks.

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Mon, Jan 26 2015 10:45 PM

Thanks, I've seen posts suggesting this but this is a great example w/ diagrams and such, it makes it easy to grasp.

• mmikkeelee
    591 Posts
    Mon, Jan 26 2015 11:24 PM

good post i will try this 

many times especially on the tru golf courses ive had mysterious lying dots...

any putting tips are appreciated thankyou sean

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Tue, Jan 27 2015 2:36 AM

Very Nice Post

-Roger

• WigerToods2010
    8,445 Posts
    Tue, Jan 27 2015 3:12 AM

Aware of the same method for long enough, it makes perfect sense. 

I tend to think of standing in front of that famous old Italian landmark The Leaning Tower of Pisa - as I wander around it at some point it will 'appear' to be perfectly straight.....  lmao.

I'll take both view 'breaks' into consideration on most putts. It's deciding on what view to use when making the putt itself that I struggle with. 

Rare I know, but, let's say I've read the putt perfectly, having adjusted marker using both views - from which viewpoint do I actually hit the ball?

Front?

Rear?

Does it actually make any difference?

Smashing post, Sean. Always great to see someone offer tips to others.

Would you believe some folk are amazed that anyone would even think of helping out their perceived 'competitors'.

Update: Btw staring at the 'frozen' images above I'm convinced I can see the dots actually move.... just me? :)

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Tue, Jan 27 2015 5:53 AM

WigerToods2010:
    Update: Btw staring at the 'frozen' images above I'm convinced I can see the dots actually move.... just me? :)

Nope me too. I think it's caused by persistence of vision(we play too much!)

• IRISHPUNK
    4,019 Posts
    Tue, Jan 27 2015 6:35 AM

PaulTon:

WigerToods2010:

Nope me too. I think it's caused by persistence of vision(we play too much!)

X3.  They are clearly moving on my screen as well. (lol)

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Jan 27 2015 6:38 AM

Good explanation, Sean. I have always started aiming a putt by putting the putting line parallel to the grid line running through the hole and then looking at how the dots cross it. Your explanation shows why.  :-)

• PAGES
RSS