Forums

Help › Forums

Matching ball speed with club speed?

Thu, Jan 29 2015 7:04 PM (12 replies)
  • PAGES
  • mkg335
    5,491 Posts
    Sun, Jan 25 2015 12:24 AM

Hadn't really thought about this before, but wonder if there's any advantage, sort of a golden ratio kind of thing, to matching ball meter speed with club meter speed.

For example, I'm using the L100 Nike irons with the L81 Nike ball, both with meter speed of 3.5; now, I don't think there's anything magical about it, mainly because the top players use all kinds of different combinations where the two meter speeds don't match and they can shoot circles around me.

But somewhere in the back of my decidedly unfertile mind lies the idea that matching the two speeds might somehow conjure up the best math as far as the way the game is programmed, which after all is all math.

Thoughts?  Or have I just unloosened another screw in my brainpan?

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Sun, Jan 25 2015 1:22 AM

An interesting perspective and one of which I had never given a lot of thought to.

As for a another unloosened screw in your brainpan, no need to boast, all my screws became loose many moons ago, and in another thread I was likened to having the inteligence of a rocking horse - this was the best compliment I have had all year so far.

But the game is math so perhaps there is a perfect combination, but for me it is what works best and how well you know your given combination.

Despite for much of my life, calculations was a part of my job so I refuse to become a slave to a calculator and formulas to hit a shot, and rather hit by feel, experience and memory (sadly that rocking horse memory fails me frequently).

The only advantage is having clubs with a similar speed from Driver to Wedges and as the ball speed is constant it should make no magical difference if you know your combination.

*Warning - these are the rambling thoughts of a aging rocking horse and may or may not be useful*

• tiger319
    1,186 Posts
    Sun, Jan 25 2015 3:09 AM

alanti:

*Warning - these are the rambling thoughts of a aging rocking horse and may or may not be useful*

No offense Alanti but you also forgot "blockhead" from the other thread...  lol

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Sun, Jan 25 2015 5:12 AM

For Alanti (maybe should be in the lost ball/ rocking horse thread)...

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Sun, Jan 25 2015 6:45 AM

As for now, I find the 3.5 club speed coupled with the 4.0 ball speed to most clearly match my nerve rhythm. Unfortunately, my driver is the only club I own that matches this choice.

• mkg335
    5,491 Posts
    Sun, Jan 25 2015 11:05 AM

Thanks to all from this rocking-horse blockhead for your thoughts and replies, given that it's a rare day in the forum when the one accompanies the other.

;-)

• bubbsboy
    6,879 Posts
    Sun, Jan 25 2015 3:16 PM

;-)

• mkg335
    5,491 Posts
    Sun, Jan 25 2015 4:32 PM

Hey, it's the poster boy for all of us rocking-horse blockheads...well done!

• alosso
    21,034 Posts
    Wed, Jan 28 2015 1:40 PM

SweetiePie:
    As for now, I find the 3.5 club speed coupled with the 4.0 ball speed to most clearly match my nerve rhythm.

There's truth in this observation Sweets, though I prefer a faster combination.

IMHO, the two speeds add to each other (or multiply?). It's not a question of match between them but a question of a fitting meter speed - each to his own.

• Little0ne1
    13 Posts
    Wed, Jan 28 2015 11:29 PM

I have been playing with the same idea ,Ball speed helps me level out my meter speed to help match across the board of my clubs,,,,,,,,,,my putter 5.0 my irons 1.5 my wedges 3.0 and 3w& driver are 3.5 see my problem ,,all over the place,,,ok i find that a 3.5 ball helps slow down my irons,  it speeds up my putter so that combo brings all clubs very close to each other at least i can hit the dinger with them all now,,,,,,,,i got this comb together as a pro at L37....im now Legend at L77 dont no if i can learn new clubs now,,, way used to my set up  ,,,,but i try new combos on free rent days/weekends 

• PAGES
RSS