Help › Forums

What is the secret?

rated by 0 users
Sun, Jan 25 2015 9:26 AM (17 replies)
  • PAGES
  • DaveStrock
    919 Posts
    Thu, Jan 22 2015 8:48 PM

I totally agree with Sweetiepie "I'm open for correction, however in my view the aimer arrow is way off..way off, leaving nothing more than a wish/hope crap shoot....some shot results are so far off it is absurd."...The distance and elevations are not so much a big problem for me but trying to adjust for wind directions as I usually do on any other course doesn't work on 90% of the holes at Bandon,I have found I'm getting closer by  using  the little map in lower right corner and adjusting the marker location  using the width of the arrow aim marker as ten in width,,but it's very frustrating and i only play that course if I'm forced in to it with an invite by friends for stroke or alt.shot,,not very enjoyable to me at all...might be a lot better if it were possible to adjust for wind like any other course on WGT...what's up with that?????????

• oneeyedjohn
    9,567 Posts
    Thu, Jan 22 2015 10:03 PM

I like CD's idea, as u get to see what the ball does when it hits the green, especially using the starter ball. 

Otherwise try playing every hole with ur normal clubs and ball, without putting spin on any shot, quite a learning curve.

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Fri, Jan 23 2015 10:50 AM

I def play bandon differently. Mostly, I don't hit more than 1/2  bs due to slope of the greens. Many shots like on 2 and 3 are hit with top spin. 

-wgticon

• borntobesting
    9,605 Posts
    Sat, Jan 24 2015 10:35 AM

SweetiePie:

I'm open for correction, however in my view the aimer arrow is way off..way off, leaving nothing more than a wish/hope crap shoot....some shot results are so far off it is absurd.

It's not that the aiming arrow is way off but more like the affect of the wind on many shots is exaggerated due to the big elevation changes. As the ball starts dropping on the holes that are way below the tee the wind moves the ball a lot more than normal. That plus the fact that for the most part Bandon Dunes is a wide open course with no tree lines to lessen the affect of the winds. 

• NorCalMega
    179 Posts
    Sat, Jan 24 2015 11:31 AM

Well its good to hear I'm not the only one struggling on this course. My PB is only a 47 (which wasn't far from being a 44) but that said I am struggling to break 50. Par 3 in general are an opportunity for me on all courses.

I agree with the large elevation drops you need to adjust for the wind quite a bit more as the ball is just in the air so much longer (oddly enough a RG course I play with lots of elevated tee shots on dogleg holes was killing me with the amount of time the driver spent in the air, shots that were straight down the middle when the ball was level with the tee box would end up in the right or left rough by the time it dropped another 25 to 100 feet. I started hitting choked down punches and started finding fairways without loosing too much distance).  I've started to try and figure out what holes lend themselves to punch shots to lessen the impact of the wind.

That said I had a round on Bandon where I put 6 shots at 6 yds or less and missed every putt as they were all wicked side hill putts. I think it is really important to know where to put the ball on Bandon more so than some of the other courses. The problem is the wind and off dinging into it doesn't always play into where you need the ball to land at least for my limited skills so need a little luck on the wind you draw...

• AshleyHelton
    11 Posts
    Sat, Jan 24 2015 1:27 PM

Agreed, you must miss your shot on the right side of the swing meter, and even more important on the green in my opinion.

• TracyMax
    2,361 Posts
    Sun, Jan 25 2015 7:56 AM

Still, it's hard to understand how a club rated 215, with a tail wind, only goes 185 on a solid ding. VEM strikes againj!!

• TopShelf2010
    10,879 Posts
    Sun, Jan 25 2015 9:26 AM

• PAGES
RSS