Forums

Help › Forums

Callaway or Nike Balls?

rated by 0 users
Fri, Jan 23 2015 11:27 AM (26 replies)
  • ChronicDiarrhea
    545 Posts
    Fri, Jan 16 2015 7:56 PM

The ball I use for almost all game play is the lvl 90 Nike RZN because I really like the distance and spin characteristics.  And the meter is slower, but a little jumpy, yet manageable.  Recently I saw I was on my last Nike RZN and very low on credits.  So I pulled out an old sleeve of lvl 35 Callaway Hex Chrome balls and put them into play.

Off the tee, I noticed only a slight loss of distance.  And the approach shots did not respond exactly as the RZNs, yet very playable.  The biggest difference I noticed was the absolute smoothness of the meter, even though the meter with the Hex Chromes is slightly quicker. The most noticeable aspect of the smoother meter was on the greens.  My putting efficiency with my lvl 96 Versa was quite good because of the smoothness of the meter causing less mis-dings.

So, here's my question: Do other WGT players notice smoother meters with Callaways, Nikes, or Srixons?

Thanks - Scott

• TopShelf2010
    10,879 Posts
    Fri, Jan 16 2015 9:30 PM

• ISH47
    1,963 Posts
    Fri, Jan 16 2015 9:45 PM

My meter's smooth no matter which ball I use.. If your meter's jerky, it's not the ball.

• fitzroy1965
    337 Posts
    Sat, Jan 17 2015 1:48 AM

+1 usually not the ball but either your internet connection,computer or your proximity to wgt servers that causes smooth or not smooth meter.

• oneeyedjohn
    9,567 Posts
    Sat, Jan 17 2015 3:50 AM

my meter is as smooth as runny poo.

• ChronicDiarrhea
    545 Posts
    Sat, Jan 17 2015 3:54 AM

I tested the possibility that my internet connection,computer or proximity to wgt servers had any effect on meter jumpiness by playing consecutive games with the Nke RZN and the Callaway Hex Chrome.  There was no doubt that using the Hex Chrome produced a much smoother meter.

Thamks - Scott

• ChronicDiarrhea
    545 Posts
    Sat, Jan 17 2015 3:56 AM

oneeyedjohn:

my meter is as smooth as runny poo.

Oh, I see what you did there!

-Scott

• mmikkeelee
    591 Posts
    Sat, Jan 17 2015 4:06 AM

callaways  for me ive always prefared the ball and always will.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Jan 17 2015 8:43 AM

ChronicDiarrhea:
    So, here's my question: Do other WGT players notice smoother meters with Callaways, Nikes, or Srixons?

Yes. It started when the GI-SD ball was introduced years ago. I have always maintained that any ball the monkeys with the meter speed is introducing stutters and such to the meter smoothness. IDK if it's because there's more time for the meter to act up or what but I definitely do see a difference between meter balls. 

I also happen to think you can create your own meter skips simply by the way your eyes follow that moving meter. Load up a slow meter ball and don't click the swing, just watch the meter move. Start by following it from the top a few times. Then try focusing on the ding line and let the ball enter your peripheral vision instead of moving your eyes. I think you'll see a difference.

The slow meter balls, IMO, have drawbacks besides nodding off waiting for them to get to the ding. Too much time for stuff to happen. :-)

• esty26
    425 Posts
    Sat, Jan 17 2015 8:54 AM

I am still puttering around with different balls trying to find the right one.

Maybe it's just my imagination but it seems when I change balls with different meter speeds it affects the meter, skipping or accelerating through the ding area so that I miss very late. I have found that if I clear the flash cache when I change balls it usually helps.....again could just be my imagination....I still think I saw Elvis at a soda shop not too long ago.

Esty

RSS