Forums

Help › Forums

Clubs

rated by 0 users
Fri, Jun 26 2009 10:20 AM (8 replies)
  • HAWK64
    14 Posts
    Tue, Jun 23 2009 8:24 AM

Currently I am using just the starter set and I have reached Master with them..

Can anyone tell me if buying the Tour Starter Set would be worth it for me? 

Or How about those newer irons, the ones that have a faster swing meter (Taylor Made Irons)?

Thanks!

• Kaslo
    428 Posts
    Tue, Jun 23 2009 9:21 AM

You will see a definite improvement with the tour starter set although I do recommend getting a better driver. Hold off until the 25 though as there is suppose to be some new equipment coming.

• Kaslo
    428 Posts
    Tue, Jun 23 2009 9:21 AM

You will see a definite improvement with the tour starter set although I do recommend getting a better driver. Hold off until the 25 though as there is suppose to be some new equipment coming.

• Keith35
    20 Posts
    Tue, Jun 23 2009 9:22 AM

I would just get the tour starter set and a better driver like the R9.  But wait till the 25th to see what new clubs we might be getting.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Tue, Jun 23 2009 3:31 PM

New clubs and balls have been pushed back to the end of July...

The 25th of June is the release of the St Andrews Closest to the Pin ... and apparently not much else.

• dojedaihbp
    1 Posts
    Tue, Jun 23 2009 3:57 PM

i would just like to know how much would it take off of my credit card if i purchased a taylormade r9 driver, write me back, thanks

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Tue, Jun 23 2009 4:03 PM

The R9 currently lists for 750 credits.  That's $7.50.

I do not know if the AmEx promotion, double credits, is still on or not.

• BeachGolf
    119 Posts
    Fri, Jun 26 2009 8:45 AM

The tour starter set is very nice, and worth any upgrade.  However, only the upgraded drivers beyond this seem worth buying.  I broke down and purchased the Taylor Made Burner complete set to upgrade my Tour Starters, expecting the increased spin and slight increase in distance on the irons to be a big help.

First of all, some of the irons actually have LESS distance than the Tour Starters (i.e. 7-iron).  Plus, because the trajectory is lower, the increased spin doesn't make the ball stop any quicker (except for the wedges).  In fact, the ball seems to roll even further on most iron shots.  The biggest problem is the "forgiveness" in the graphite burner irons (rated at '3') is much worse than the forgiveness on the Tour Starters (rated at '3.5').  On the swing meter, the colored "good" area is about half the size and miss-hits seem to be amplified by a factor of 3.  This combination makes the burner irons, which cost 900 credits on their own, seem WORSE than the Tour Starter irons, which have a higher trajectory, stop quicker most of the time, and are more accurate.  What a waste of money. 

The rest of the Taylor Made Burner series has the same problem as the irons, but I can live with the driver and probably the 3-wood accuracy because I'm usually not aiming for the flag.  I wish I would have saved my money and just upgraded the driver.

• backspin63
    67 Posts
    Fri, Jun 26 2009 10:20 AM

I asked the questionto WGTalex and did not get the answer I was looking for. My question is.. "will the upgrades coming up next month with regards to these new clubs include the taylormade clubs most of us have already purchased? I would like to see my irons perform better than the starters set. Will we have to buy a whole new set of clubs or will our clubs we bought (taylormade, ping, etc.) be inculded in this upgrade performance?

RSS