Help › Forums

Precision?

rated by 0 users
Thu, Sep 18 2014 2:04 PM (10 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Chummana
    23 Posts
    Sun, Nov 14 2010 5:32 AM

Does the precision attribute on clubs actually mean anything in this game?For me the starter putter is more precise than the daytona putter.On most breaks,using the daytona, I have to hit the meter 1 notch over of what I have to hit it with the starter putter.I guess everyone is different but I just cant get the top 2 putters to work for me better than the starter.Anyone else experience this...or any tips?

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Nov 14 2010 8:05 AM

Chummana:
    On most breaks,using the daytona, I have to hit the meter 1 notch over of what I have to hit it with the starter putter.

By this it looks like you're missing on purpose to steer the putt. This is fine, a fairly decent way to putt BUT you can't factor in the precision of a putter when you intentionally miss. Precision relates to how close the ball actually will get to the target with a perfect shot.

By way of an example, I use the Master Redwood putter and sometimes will aim by missing. It takes a bigger "miss" with this putter than with the older Redwood to get the same result. It  takes a while to get used to it but higher precision putters work best when you make the good swing.

• b0geybuster
    2,574 Posts
    Sun, Nov 14 2010 8:43 AM

Chummana:

Does the precision attribute on clubs actually mean anything in this game?For me the starter putter is more precise than the daytona putter.On most breaks,using the daytona, I have to hit the meter 1 notch over of what I have to hit it with the starter putter.I guess everyone is different but I just cant get the top 2 putters to work for me better than the starter.Anyone else experience this...or any tips?

There is an excellent post here...

http://www.wgt.com/forums/p/14040/86933.aspx#86933

Cheers,

b0geybuster

• Chummana
    23 Posts
    Sun, Nov 14 2010 11:43 AM

Ahh ok...I see what youre saying.I do miss on purpose...I tried aiming with the arrow and for me it works terribly.Just need some more practice putting that way but I also figure maybe I should just stick with what works decent.I feel good with the starter putter and dont know if Im up for changing now.Thanks alot for the help bogey.I may try and work on the aiming.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Nov 14 2010 1:37 PM

Chummana-Something I'm discovering that works quite well is a combination of the two-missing and aiming. Try aiming a little and missing together. Generally, if you miss on the high side of the break AND aim a little on the high side you give yourself a better chance of making it. GL

• Chummana
    23 Posts
    Sun, Nov 14 2010 4:36 PM

Thanks too YankeeJim...I was messin with that a lil bit ago and seemed to work better than just straight aim.I think for now though Im staying with the starter putter...rented the redwood and daytona and im not impressed with either at this point.

• Jimmyboy661
    4 Posts
    Thu, Aug 21 2014 5:50 PM

I have tried at least 4 other putters, even expensive ones and the best putter for me is still the starter putter

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Thu, Aug 21 2014 10:38 PM

I found the Gold starter putter to be a little more accurate.

Here's a thread showing precision tests.

http://www.wgt.com/forums/t/195080.aspx

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Aug 22 2014 5:25 AM

Jimmyboy661:

I have tried at least 4 other putters, even expensive ones and the best putter for me is still the starter putter

Interesting to see something 4 years later. I have no doubt you're happy with that Starter. I play AS regularly with a long time Legend that used to use it. I say "used to" because I was finally able to convince him that the precision and accuracy do make a difference. Kinda helped I sent him the 55 Rossa but only with the caveat that he try it for a while.

The reason I was convinced it would make a difference for him was because during those AS games he was a decent  putter with it. Always had the good weight to the hole and decent lines. The problem was I would actually watch his putts wander off line (I watch in reverse) and just barely miss. It wasn't like the ball was leaving the putter face at the wrong angle, it would roll to the hole but you could tell it wasn't going to hold the line-it was like as the putt slowed down it just rolled its own way.

I don't see that now since he stayed with that Rossa. There is a marked difference in the way his putts roll and hold lines. He misses quite a few less of those longer putts he used to just get close on.  The balance and accuracy in putters really helps. :-)

• Jimmyboy661
    4 Posts
    Sat, Aug 30 2014 6:49 PM

Thanks YankeeJim for the reply to my query. Your info is most helpful as I was contemplating a better putter. Hope to play with you someday

• PAGES
RSS