Forums

Help › Forums

NIKE Covert 2.0 Driver (L100+)3,495 Credits

Sat, Dec 27 2014 9:22 PM (39 replies)
  • DaveStrock
    919 Posts
    Mon, Dec 15 2014 11:58 AM

I'm approaching level 100 and would like to know from those of you who use this driver 

NIKE Covert 2.0 Driver (L100+)

3,495 Credits
    If it's worth the money,If the distance is  negligible  to other 287yd drivers why  spend  the money?????
  • mkg335
    5,491 Posts
    Mon, Dec 15 2014 12:03 PM

I've asked the same question of several friends who use it.  They tell me it makes a difference on certain courses where the higher loft comes in handy, like BPB.  I've tried it a couple of times during free rental weekends and really didn't see a great advantage over the high level R1.

Still might end up getting it some day, but it's not a priority as far as I'm concerned.

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Mon, Dec 15 2014 12:14 PM

Agree with MK.

If they ever made it variable spin one I might be more inclined, but even then I would think that would be purely for fun more than anything.  I am not so in to this game that I bother swapping clubs per course / conditions, and just possibly some one who was might see more appeal.  V fine lines with the R1 already so good. 

• mukbrain
    225 Posts
    Mon, Dec 15 2014 12:26 PM

If you do want the high trajectory, the BBA @96 is 200 credits cheaper, and the only other difference is .1 lower forgiveness.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Dec 15 2014 1:05 PM

IMO, the R1 has it over the Coventry simply because it hangs with that driver but has the lower flight option. FBS on the R1 turns it into a 9 degree driver and I have yet to find a hole where I needed more loft than that.

However, the 8 degree loft of the R1 comes in extremely handy at the links courses and in winds. It gets on the ground quicker and is less affected and runs like a scared rabbit with full top spin. The accuracy of it lets you pick nice down sloped landings that rocket it forward. The Road Hole is a good example.

It also forgives better than any other driver I've used. Like mkg, I used the Coventry during 2 free rentals and both times came away unimpressed.

*I use the 33 Callaway.

• DAZZA501
    5,972 Posts
    Mon, Dec 15 2014 1:08 PM

I'm surprised Wgt didn't release the Tour version and a matching 3 wood. Not had any new Nike clubs for a while. Maybe in 2015 :-)

• fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Mon, Dec 15 2014 1:09 PM

I have it and the R1, rented the BB on free weekends...

I didn't like it when I 1st got it, then I figured out how to use it...

R1 is subject to run out more and get you a couple of yards on a drive on certain courses...

Nike is much more versatile on all courses and just as long as others UNLESS you use full backspin...full b/s drives don't have any roll out unlike the other 2, which is good on doglegs because you don't drive "through" the fairway like I have with the R1..

having used both side by side, I can tell you the nike will go over trees the R1 won't...they are all so long distance isn't really a factor...but you can do things with it you can't do with R1, been there done that...you won't see it with a free rental weekend but it does...

I use the nike all the time now, use spin to make it do what I want it to and the R1 has been in the closet for a long time now even though I really like it and can't part with it....for a few hundred extra credits I would get it, if ya want to save credits don't, all of them are good and you will adjust....

On the down side it is "RED", solid RED, and it is hard on the eyes unless red happens to be your favorite color...lol

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Dec 15 2014 1:16 PM

fatdan:
    having used both side by side, I can tell you the nike will go over trees the R1 won't.

In your experience. what is the net result of that difference where you can carry a particular tree the R1 can't? This probably boils down to preferences but this is interesting since you know the driver.

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Mon, Dec 15 2014 1:44 PM

Admittedly my thought's are all based around using the L90 ball, but with FBS I can pull up v sharp on any dogleg with the R1, and this renders run out as a non issue .  Clearing trees I have not seen any issues over or under either (any course / conditions).

Like I say basically two great drivers, and I could not see one was going to any better than the other in any overall way.

Hoping for a variable spin option on the Nike which would be fun I think, but whether the game needs anything at all better, even if only just possibly,  is another issue. 

Interesting what others see though.

• fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Mon, Dec 15 2014 2:09 PM

I would say that the R1 would give you 3 extra yrds on avg. drives on Straight holes...now for instance STA #10 was different, with a decent tailwind the Nike would be on the green and the R1 completely over the green with full backspin, but on average it was close...Now I always hit into the wind a tad on drives for more control but not enough to really matter.

The BIG difference for me is dogleg holes...you can cut them a lot closer with the nike and pick up 15-20 yrds on some, more importantly stay in the fairway on others like BPB #12 or Congo #12, any holes set up like those 2...Olympic is made for the Nike, you can kill it with b/s(Nike is sorta like the BB 245 3 wd w/ full b/s), let it roll out, or cut the corners closer and pick up big yardage...

R1 is great on RSG, and STA, but I like the Nike on Kiwiah...

I could switch from using the R1 to the Nike in the middle of a round and not change the way I play any course, where as If I changed from the Nike to R1 I would have to change a lot on several courses if you know what I mean...

RSS