Forums

Help › Forums

Any math formulas to find putt distance?

Tue, Apr 25 2023 9:37 PM (80 replies)
  • W000T
    104 Posts
    Mon, Nov 8 2010 9:58 PM

Surely there is a formula to find how much to change the change the power of a putt when there is elevation change.  We know the variables: elevation, distance, and green speed percent.  So is it possible to have a formula to plug the variables that we know into it?

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Tue, Nov 9 2010 8:03 AM

Hi,

Because each hole has different elevation, undulation, slope, and so on, I do not think it's possible to have a formula. Instead, notes are your guide. If you hit putt from a spot on a specific hole and it does something good or very bad, make a note of it. Next time you are there, you will have previous notes and can adjust.

-wgticon

• YancyCan
    3,027 Posts
    Tue, Nov 9 2010 8:34 AM

W000T:

Surely there is a formula to find how much to change the change the power of a putt when there is elevation change.  We know the variables: elevation, distance, and green speed percent.  So is it possible to have a formula to plug the variables that we know into it?

Hi - I am Yancy

I have spent many unsleepable nights working thru various algorithims and whatnots re. all aspects of the mathemeticables of the wgt game. My friend - Medford Mel - and I have been working on a BETA wi-fi digital LAN based widget.

My associates did not want to show this to the public till we worked out any/all quirks - but I was able to film this after they passed out. Next video will be with the swing meter in game play action. Theory here be that bigger be better.

Remember - it is all BETA - but stay with me now.......

This is just one common man's take - comments encouraged.

YancyCan

Yancy's WGT YouTube Tootorial & Golfin Tips Vidyas Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/yancycan

• W000T
    104 Posts
    Tue, Nov 9 2010 9:09 AM

I had a tiny formula that was doing alright, but it wouldn't work with some variables such as smaller numbers like short putts.  It was 100 minus Green Speed (20 for very fast) times Elevation divided by Distance equals Distance Differance (what you add or subtract from the distance variable).  Since this doesn't work all the time due to extreme input or short putts, I was wondering if there was a more stable formula.

• hbthree
    478 Posts
    Tue, Nov 9 2010 11:12 AM

For most situations and assuming one is playing what  WGT now refers to as "Fast" greens...I add or subtract one foot for every inch the putt is up or down, respectfully.  For example if one has a 20 foot putt with 4 inches "up" then I make the shot as a 24 foot putt.  If that same 20 foot putt is 4 inches down, then I make the shot as a 16 foot putt.

If one is playing "very fast" greens, I multiply the distance as calulated above by 85% (.85)...if  I am playing "slow" greens then I multiply the distance as calculated above by 120% (1.20).

Hope this helps...Harve

• duffer66
    700 Posts
    Tue, Nov 9 2010 12:05 PM

harve is pretty close to the formulas I use, I have to make mention of the greens on the different courses. Some are a little faster such as SA, BP is usually a little slower under the same conditions so you will have to experiment a little with the distances.

Duff

• mrenn29
    380 Posts
    Tue, Nov 9 2010 1:12 PM

x(3x-y)+ 3/4(3.14+y)    hope this helps. lol

• YancyCan
    3,027 Posts
    Tue, Nov 9 2010 1:17 PM

mrenn29:

x(3x-y)+ 3/4(3.14+y)    hope this helps. lol

Hi - I am Yancy

Is the code you posted open-source?

Is it incorporatables into me projects and whatnots? I dont want to step on anyone's toes and such.

Best Regards, Yancy

• mohuyu
    891 Posts
    Tue, Nov 9 2010 1:41 PM

mrenn29:
    x(3x-y)+ 3/4(3.14+y)

Don't know what the x's and y's represent in your formula.

The formula I have been using has been mentioned by hbthree. It works absolutely great. I worked out the standard deviation of a sample of twenty 25ft putts on a relatively flat green without much break (SA #1) and it comes out to about 2ft with the redwood putter. All of the putts were dinged/almost. So it is about right - judging breaks though is another story.

• JuanMendoza
    469 Posts
    Tue, Nov 9 2010 2:18 PM

Yes, but I'm not telling....

RSS