Help › Forums

Best club set

Wed, Nov 27 2019 10:11 AM (12 replies)
  • PAGES
  • pat72086
    2 Posts
    Tue, Nov 18 2014 8:20 AM

Hey everyone,

Thinking about buying a new set of clubs once I get some more credits. Should I wait until I get to level 90 and buy the R11 club set? Or is there something I could buy right now with a few more hundred credits that would be just as good? Any thoughts/opinions would be greatly appreciated!

• raycin1019
    377 Posts
    Tue, Nov 18 2014 11:39 AM

i like the forge iron set... at level 85

• courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Tue, Nov 18 2014 12:31 PM
    raycin1019:

i like the forge iron set... at level 85

Agreed. Those R11's are a long way off and may have too fast a meter.
  • SamanthaWho
    3,403 Posts
    Tue, Nov 18 2014 12:39 PM

If i was you, i would get a set of wedges (3) before i did anything else.

Then at L85 get the Nikes. I have the R11s and as Courtney said, they are very fast, and they are also EXTREMELY unreliable. The PW, 9 and 8 irons all have a mind of their own, from one shot to the next, i have no idea how far they will go. I would never recommend them. The worse club or clubs i have ever bought.

• garypinhunter
    1,049 Posts
    Tue, Nov 18 2014 12:47 PM

SamanthaWho:

If i was you, i would get a set of wedges (3) before i did anything else.

Samantha is right on target. Getting three nice wedges will help more than you can know.

Gary

• pat72086
    2 Posts
    Wed, Nov 19 2014 1:07 PM

Sounds like wedges are the way to go! Any recommendations for the best wedges? I know I have problems recovering from around the greens sometimes because mine can be all over the place(quite frustrating). My scores would drop dramatically if I could fix that issue.

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Wed, Nov 19 2014 1:57 PM

Personaly I like the Clevelands, you can get any one of them right now. The ATV`s are great wedges too, but you have to wait to get them. Compare them in the pro shop for the spec`s. I think you will find the Clevelands are worth it.

• dedBuNNy
    1,919 Posts
    Wed, Nov 19 2014 3:10 PM

The CG's are nice, with one caveat -  Unless you can hit very close to the ding every time or ding? You'll be firing balls all over the place, and more so in mod to high winds. They're not forgiving, darts when hit well but like the R11's or Rocketbladez, they'll bite you in the ass if you miss the ding by more than a bar or so. If you so much as glance at the green dot on the ball, that will impart spin, you don't have to touch it, just look at it. hahaha

The ATV's, the 495 wedges are very good, the 64 at that level is every bit as good around the green as the 1195 one i think, in some ways better, it releases the ball a bit easier. Out of the bunker, still a magic wand. 

I myself had all of them, settled on the 895 Max wedges, after watching one of the best players on here continually drop the 50 within inches or in the hole all the time. I decided to go with all three, they're like a combo between the GC's and ATV's. I'm not sure why the accuracy is at 3.5, they're way more accurate that than. Personally I think they're way under rated. 

In reality, it's whatever works for you. Wedges are cheap....ish 'cept the top two brands.

Try different ones out.

If you're gonna get the 85 Irons... be prepared to work at your game. They're can be hard to deal with...seem to like the 81's or 71's, and bleed yardage if you miss the ding. The're accurate though when hit well. 

• lonniescott711
    4,181 Posts
    Wed, Nov 19 2014 3:45 PM

Looking at where you are right now , I would say hold off on expensive club upgrades like the Cleveland wedges .  All of your major clubs are low 30 levels , so you are going to have to do a major overhaul very soon .  You are 2 tiers from Legend tees which means you will soon need a new driver , 3 wood , 3 wedges no need for a new putter if you like the one you have . A good set of irons , 79+ Rocketbladez , 81+ G25 driver , 3 Ping wedges for now . That set up will take you all the way to Tour Legend oh and throw in either the Srixon 11+ or 33+ Cally ball , and you will be fine .

Always remember to try to make your upgrades last as long as possible . You dont want to waste your credits on multiple upgrades . When picking your wedges , start with your p/w and work backward spacing your wedges 15-20 yards apart . If you should choose the R11s irons ,  you will definitely need at least the 33+ cally ball to slow down the meter . 

Also you may want to consider the upper level G25s full set by Ping for now also . But whatever choices you make just try to make them last . Hope this helps and good luck with your game . :-)

• HackWilson1930
    1,437 Posts
    Wed, Nov 19 2014 6:50 PM

Talk to 3 different golfers and you will get 3 differing thoughts about clubs or balls. If you are playing every day you will move to level 90 relatively quickly ( after 90 it takes much longer to get to the next level). The top Cleveland wedges are available at level 80 or below so you could pick them up now. With increments of 20 yards yards from 60 to 100 they work nicely as a set. But when you carry 3 wedges you will need to drop the 3 hybrid that you have in your bag. This is not a big loss but you definitely need a strong 3i to fill the gap. This is where the R11's do better than the Nike's until you get to the level 97 Nike's. Also in rough higher than 20/25 without the hybrid, you might find it necessary to use a punch stroke with a long iron to get out of trouble. The R11's are very manageable but are less worrisome when paired with a slower metered ball. Also worth mentioning, the Cleveland wedges are spot on for distance and accuracy, but when using balls with high spin, it is best to put no bs on them or so little that you hardly touch the dot. Forward spin can give you an extra 5 yards with them and the punch distance makes the Cleveland's even more appealing. The short game is extremely important and you should see an immediate improvement in your game by getting a good set of wedges. And on the next free rental weekend be sure to try lots of different clubs. (Seems like we had a free rental weekend on black Friday last year but I am old and don't remember things that well.)

• PAGES
RSS