Forums

Help › Forums

*Putting by the Numbers - UPDATE*

Mon, Feb 18 2019 2:32 PM (88 replies)
  • JCSneed
    54 Posts
    Fri, Nov 7 2014 4:31 PM

I'm done with this joint. You're on your own.

• mbcarp99
    1,078 Posts
    Fri, Nov 7 2014 5:09 PM

What if you haven't got a ruler, could you use the free putter pal you get in your CC?

• Mushy01
    2,567 Posts
    Fri, Nov 7 2014 5:26 PM

mbcarp99:

What if you haven't got a ruler, could you use the free putter pal you get in your CC?

pound shop ? if it saves shots and credits ;-)

Good Post JC ;-)

• JohnFlynno
    15 Posts
    Mon, Apr 27 2015 4:04 PM

JCSneed,

I really appreciate all the detail you have provided in your post.  I was particularly interested in point #3 (Reading the Breaks).  The first paragraph under "For each putt" has me stumped.  I've been reading it over and over while on the green in one of my games.  Unfortunately, I can visualize what's being said in this paragraph.  Do you know where I might be able to go to see a visual demonstration of what your saying?  I'd love to put into practice what you're saying.

Thanks!

JohnFlynno

• JCSneed
    54 Posts
    Wed, May 6 2015 10:06 PM

• JCSneed
    54 Posts
    Thu, May 7 2015 12:35 PM

• 11BC2
    555 Posts
    Mon, May 11 2015 3:32 AM

@ JC

I've been trying your method for the past 2 days and I've got to say, my putting has dramatically sucked, more than ever before!  ;)

On the bright side, I think I've had more lip outs than every before too not to mention tons and tons of near roll byes (1/2 cup or less) on most distance putts.  I can see this method being overpowering once I put in some serious hours into it.  Finding the different break speeds aiming point and sweet spot is the real challenge.  I'm finding it's not as complicated as I initially thought. 

Quite a few putts end up with little adjustments, like from 9.7 to 7.2, or half the distance from 10 to 5 (more or less).  Likewise, longer putts with an initial aim of 24 might be adjusted to 29 once I see a little more than a constant break.  So all puts seem to only need 1/2, 1/4, 3/4 etc., grid adjustments. 

Anyways.......nice stuff man.  I've been playing congressional and hole number 2 normally leaves you with a 30-45 severe downhill constant break putt.  I've been dropping about 1 out of 4 of those putts on a consistent basis with your technique and the ones I'm missing are lipping out or just missing the hole.

• JCSneed
    54 Posts
    Mon, May 11 2015 8:06 PM

• siggipj76
    2,989 Posts
    Tue, May 12 2015 11:32 PM

champ greens and then I changed from 1 nr rule.

0.71 uphil

0.7 level.

0.68 slight down.

0.65 3-4 down

0.63 5-6 down

and 10+ 0.6 to 0.5 (feel) 

But every green is it's own. 

I never hit one nr on champs

• 11BC2
    555 Posts
    Wed, May 13 2015 3:44 AM

Interesting Siggi.  I like the way your numbers look.  I think I'll give them a go.  I do something similar (I think!) but I don't use exact math.  I typically add or subtract X amount of feet depending on distance, elevation, and feel/experience. 

Something in concrete would be nice.  Even when using stuff like SM, the numbers (which are derived from formula on these forums) are never exact and need tweeking due to distance and elevation changes.  A constant number for one speed just never works.

RSS