Forums

Help › Forums

Lower-grade Equipment at Legend Tier

rated by 0 users
Mon, Oct 27 2014 6:58 AM (29 replies)
  • Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Sat, Oct 25 2014 4:42 AM

Whilst many will be just more talented hitting the tips makes this a different more challenging game.  It takes time (in theory and actuality for most) to get to grips with this new game.  Very soon a top driver comes on stream, and the Blades are already available iron wise.  Not saying get those, but point is by L83 / 85 you are equipped + to blaze a trail in teh Legend tier RGs, and arguably are already.

Not perfect but as SPD said can't give it all away to every multi that easy.  Equipped anyway to do very well.

• spdemon
    1,588 Posts
    Sat, Oct 25 2014 5:05 AM

Jimbog1964:
    Not saying get those, but point is by L83 / 85 you are equipped + to blaze a trail in teh Legend tier RGs, and arguably are already.

More like 75-79 jim ffs 

I wonder why bracket earnings dont show on the earnings list and do they affect tiering up like ready go's if not they should 

Would be to easy to put in 90 rounds at master and tm just in the brackets and rake in credits 

• SoKoSteve
    128 Posts
    Sat, Oct 25 2014 5:51 AM

spdemon:

Jimbog1964:
    Not saying get those, but point is by L83 / 85 you are equipped + to blaze a trail in teh Legend tier RGs, and arguably are already.

More like 75-79 jim ffs 

I wonder why bracket earnings dont show on the earnings list and do they affect tiering up like ready go's if not they should 

Would be to easy to put in 90 rounds at master and tm just in the brackets and rake in credits 

I'm sure Bracket earnings show up on career earnings as most of my earnings came that route (as did getting my *** kicked).  The wins and scores also make you tier up and affect your average, respectively.  This would also explain why some players seem to invariably shoot very well until the final match, pocketing the second-place winnings and forgoing the extra 300 credits to stay as long as possible in that tier.  I won two or three brackets by WD from players that were active the day of.

I don't think match play earnings show up, however. 

More like 75-79 jim ffs 

I can only surmise from what I've read that it used to be harder to get good equipment early on.  That would explain the relative ease with which new players tier up on average and multis stick to the top of the RGs.  Is this the case?   When I was able to get the 48 R1 around level 50, it was like Moses parting the Red Sea.  The high-lofted irons made life easier, too.  BPB went from a nightmare to a dream overnight.

Anyhow, in retrospect, I'd go slower and I guess I have that chance now.  

Happy nightmares.

S.

• spdemon
    1,588 Posts
    Sat, Oct 25 2014 6:06 AM

SoKoSteve:
    I'm sure Bracket earnings show up on career earnings as most of my earnings came that route

I don't think they do and 2 of the ready go wins you have account for 24.00 in earnings alone not even looking into the placement of the others

SoKoSteve:
    48 R1

This is one club that should be in the higher lvls but its all about dollars for wgt 

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Sat, Oct 25 2014 6:24 AM

For a good while the L79 Blades (now see also L75 irons) were it before the L90 R11S.  Talking score potential as the G25s don't quite have that if can handle the flighty Blades.  See the forums for all the talk on all that but IMHO you should be thinking either L79 Blades now or L85s Nike irons soon.  When I wrote what I did earlier I had also forgotten about the L79 SLDR driver.

SPD is right really I was being to player orientated (I tend to be).  It's now  500RRs minimum  until TL (see forums if unsure on all that and know v few exceptions have existed to that rule but no clue why WGT did that).  L80s still saunter by speedily enough, and in all honesty you have loads to choose from to compete in Legend tier at the minimum anyway.

EDIT: For clarity L75 / 79 Blades = v close to L90 R11s, and the L90 R11s are still the VUSO winners weapons of choice.  Legend Tier is really very very well catered for now.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Oct 25 2014 6:32 AM

SoKoSteve:
    I'm currently using a lvl 48 R1 and the lvl 59 G25s.  They suited me fine at TM, but really I can't compete at Legend.  That said, I'm not sure if I care.  I don't think I'm likely to compete with most of these guys anyhow, new equipment or not.  Probably going to just start enjoying the view

This is not how a golfer thinks. Gamers, yes, but not a true aficionado of golf. You most certainly can compete at the Legend level, you just have to go about it differently.

One of my favorite AS players to play with/against is a guy that goes by the name of TygerJr. Take a look at his profile, he's a Level 101 Legend closing in on TL. He's been here as long as I have and he's using clubs no longer for sale!!  G10 irons, Satin wedges and a driver that was the bomb when it first came out-the Level 86 R11. All this with an inexpensive ball.

To watch his game is to watch a true golfer play. He doesn't tee of with a bazooka and doesn't throw darts at pins. He plays smart and to his clubs' limitations. He can  flat out hang, he just does it differently. You have the same choice. If you're into immediate gratification then yes, enjoy the scenery because you won't get it with the wrong attitude.

OTOH, if you really want to challenge yourself in your trek to a higher level and better equipment, play a round with Tyger. You'll see how to do it.  :-)

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Sat, Oct 25 2014 6:51 AM

Interesting stuff from YJ.  It's a rub really as proper golf should be like that, and I can see the fun.  Heck just from a players perspective the G10s (G25s at the very most), and that R11 driver should have been where the attributes stopped getting better, and the L33 Cally should be it ball wise (still a great ball anyway btw).  Trouble is if you enjoy competing for places in RGs / weeklies etc you need the top line stuff.  Fun either way but obviously just from a players point of view the equipment is over the top with what it can do - still frikin tough competing mind as everyone can get it:)

• SoKoSteve
    128 Posts
    Sat, Oct 25 2014 6:57 AM

This is not how a golfer thinks. Gamers, yes, but not a true aficionado of golf. You most certainly can compete at the Legend level, you just have to go about it differently.

Indeed.  When I said "compete", I certainly wasn't looking at the big picture.  Going from being able to shoot 61/62 on Merion in TM and win an RG to shooting a 67/68 in Legend 10 shots off the pace had me thinking about how daunting it was/will be in the short term; however, I like the thought of being able to use the equipment I have and still have a good time with good company.  After playing so many Brackets and RGs, I find it much more fun to play with a fellow C.C. member (or stranger for that matter) and chat a bit while being just as happy with their good shots as I am with mine.  So, I'm not worried about winning credits, but I'd certainly like to keep up with the Legends in my C.C. while we're sharing a cart!      

• spdemon
    1,588 Posts
    Sat, Oct 25 2014 6:58 AM

Jimbog1964:
    L33 Cally should be it ball wise

Yeah and speaking of balls never had the lvl 90 nikes when i was using the lvl59 g20's at legend did use the callies and they worked well 

Jimbog1964:
    still frikin tough competing

I mostly do multiplayer stroke play cause thats what i find fun but even with the good gear i still struggle lmao these champ greens still kill me 

• derekortt
    656 Posts
    Sun, Oct 26 2014 6:03 PM

One does NOT need to go to the Clevelands. IMO, a waste of money when the L60s pings work just fine (this TL wins RGs by throwing darts with the pings)

as for the OP, you can compete just fine at your level. But the Rocketbaldez irons and get some Nike balls. You'll be fine and will easily be able to compete and win as a legend with that equipment. I'd also keep the L48 driver that is plenty long enough as a legend (now, at the TL level, I'd have a longer driver)

RSS