Help › Forums

RSG # 14 par 5 plights

rated by 0 users
Tue, Oct 21 2014 12:13 PM (17 replies)
  • PAGES
  • JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Fri, Oct 17 2014 11:08 PM

OK you all know that long hole w/ the water strip in the middle.

My notes remind me that on the approach if you have a crosswind from right to left (sometime vice versa, etc. etc.) you adjust your aim, etc., and then just as many have done, you hit late and it goes OOB on the right. Lost ball. OK I've learned that that lesson a couple of times.

Or you hit an approach with a 3W and she goes sailing by the pin into the rough beyond the hole. OK I've learned about that one. Maybe roll it up or something.

BUT here's the new challenge I'm having. Say you have frontwind and all the club and high distance balls only take you to just in front of the green, either side. Now you have to attack the pin, and you don't have to worry about sailing past because you're using a high loft club or wedge, etc.

But

there's that little hill before the hole. Now you try the full shot, the pitch, even a flop for good measure, but more often than not I'm seeing that silly pattern. The ball is always short and it rolls back down the hill. (I'm getting good at hitting that 24 footer!) but what's the deal? -

If I miss the ding by a tad hitting to the pin at, say 32 yards away, using a Cleve. at 40 and it goes 29 and rolls back! OK I'll try a punch...oops, I can't get close to the ding on a punch, weird. Anyone use a punch on that one? What kind of yardage & spin if you do?

OK the flop...wow, my long shots on the flop usually go too far, this one hit and rolled back. Maybe it was a nightmare.

OK a pitch...not too hard now..oops not enough BS on the Nike 74?? She rolls past..Try less power and adjust the BS most likely. But am I getting warm? What works for you?

LONG STORY SHORT (too late!) what do you use in that situation?

The full, the pitch, the punch, a flop?

How much spin? Same distance or a tad more? What club what ball?

Thanks, all. 

• MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Sat, Oct 18 2014 12:56 AM

JFidanza:

what do you use in that situation?

The full, the pitch, the punch, a flop?

Obviously everyone has their own way of playing but I use a punched 64 wedge for anything under about 42 yards.  I mostly use about half back spin as it gives a very controlled run out.  I can play it very accurately from about 10 yards, under that I pitch.

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Sat, Oct 18 2014 1:30 AM

for me it's simple:

after you hit enough shots there, you should know whether you get to the hole or not. if you don't think you can get there, then why hit 3w, when you can hit 3i and have 50-60 yards left and then you can hit a wedge.

this way you won't be stuck in the middle distance while trying hit a perfect shot everytime.

-wgticon

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Sat, Oct 18 2014 1:46 AM

Good points from both Mainz and Icon.

I am not a great example of good course management and would be facing the 32 yard shot having just pelted it up there:)

Fortunately 32 yards out a choked down punch FBS or full shot 90% ish BS provides an easy solution every time really.  Talking Cleve CG64 and you should understand all the yardages, and if not certainly be doing what Icon suggested.  Heck it's a good approach anyway just that I am poor at course management as say:)

As for flopping (talking cleve) can't see that being good.  Too many variables going high up getting more wind, and no need to consider the shot anyway that yardage..

Pitch - great option often up to 26 yards only IMO (just talking cleve rmbr).  Could use it still but catch that down mound and a pitch will want to really roll.

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Sat, Oct 18 2014 11:52 AM

Thank you all for taking the time to respond. I have copied the advice into my notebook.

Let me be succinct, and this is for anyone who remembers being exactly there on RSG 14.

Have you played #14 and been on the FW just by the green, then, did you make a shot that landed near the pin?

What was the shot and method?

TYIA

• AGArgent
    343 Posts
    Sat, Oct 18 2014 1:44 PM

Sure looking forward to the new pin placements at RSG...then this wouldn't be such the issue what with the pin being down towards the front of the green or somesuch....right, icon, any day now, right? It's only been what, 3 years? 4 years? Losing track. So they GOTTA be forthcoming, just gotta be. I mean, how could they not?

• SPINO1
    5,394 Posts
    Sat, Oct 18 2014 3:56 PM

AGArgent:
    Sure looking forward to the new pin placements at RSG

+ 1 again !!!!!!!!! cmon wgt ...what does it take, surely you have them all ready to go, you have had plenty of requests and time.

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Sat, Oct 18 2014 4:57 PM

SPINO1:

Very nice.

Do you remember the details?

#1 looks like a full shot w/ the ATV? Nike ball, add much spin, BS or TS?

#2 putt

#3 looks like full shot Ceveland and Nike ball..spin?

#4 R iron choked? pw, 9i? Chip or pitch, maybe? no spin? Nice roll.

• SPINO1
    5,394 Posts
    Sat, Oct 18 2014 5:40 PM

if you hover over the replay link there are some details, ill be more specific if you want any further details

stu

• PAGES
RSS