Forums

Help › Forums

PGA Tour Players Comments on Bethpage After Practice Round

rated by 0 users
Sun, Jun 21 2009 5:35 AM (2 replies)
  • FreddieLove
    58 Posts
    Wed, Jun 17 2009 10:18 AM

"A lot of the Tour events we play, you just have to make birdies," Woods explained.

"If you don't shoot 68, you're losing ground. Here, if you shoot 68, you're moving up the leaderboard. To me, that's fun. Par is rewarded and a birdie is really rewarded.

"That, to me, is how the game of golf should be played."

Unless Davis decides to move the tees up, 7426 long yards will ensure that par is king, playing into Woods' hands.

Kenny Perry, one of the longer hitters in the field, said he couldn't reach the par 4 7th — one of three par 4s measuring in excess of 500 yards — in regulation during a Monday practice round.

"I hit it down the middle and I had 255 to the green but I was still in behind the trees," he bemoaned.

Geoff Ogilvy, who won the last time a U.S. Open was held in New York (on the other side of Manhattan at Winged Foot), was forced to hit fairway woods into "multiple" par 4s during a Tuesday morning practice round.

"Three and four irons, we're wearing them out," the Australian said. "It's incredibly long."

Woods concurred, saying the course was playing longer than it did seven years ago, when he won his second U.S. Open title here.

"I don't feel like I've gotten any shorter since 2002, but, man, I'm just wearing out my long irons," he said.

Freddie

• Thetruth67
    158 Posts
    Wed, Jun 17 2009 10:53 AM

Freddie, Great post!

Maybe these eye opening comments from actual tour pros will calm the complaints.  As I said before, you may not like it, but the course is playing very similar to what the pros are facing.

• lilrob88
    870 Posts
    Sun, Jun 21 2009 5:35 AM

Yeah opens are meant to be tough. The open this year is only aggervating to the players due to the rainy week....Otherwise these guys would be shooting extremely low numbers. The par 4's on this game that we cant reach are being hit by the pros with wedges and 9 irons. I believe 10 is the longest playing par 4 on that course....Guys who are missing the fairway there are lucky to get out with bogey...

RSS