Forums

Help › Forums

Matching balls to specific courses

rated by 0 users
Thu, Oct 16 2014 10:03 PM (6 replies)
  • DakotaDog61
    115 Posts
    Tue, Oct 14 2014 6:13 PM

I was going through my inventory of balls recently, and was paying attention to the different specs as I clicked through. It occurred to me (yeah, yeah, I'm slow on the up-take lol) that it would perhaps be advantageous to attempt matching balls to course.

It then further occurred to me that I have absolutely no idea as to what would make one ball preferable to another on any certain course. I mean, yes I get that you would want a sticky ball for short dangerous greens, etc, but more specific.

So I'm wondering how many of you match golf ball to golf course, and what, if any, are your reasons for doing so. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Tue, Oct 14 2014 8:46 PM

I think the best idea would be just sticking to one ball period.  When you learn your clubs and one ball, you will be more consistent.  

I struggle with this, as I'm always flip flopping around out of boredom.  Yellow Callaways should help me though. :)

• DakotaDog61
    115 Posts
    Tue, Oct 14 2014 8:51 PM

hpurey:
    I think the best idea would be just sticking to one ball period.  When you learn your clubs and one ball, you will be more consistent.

Thanks hpurey, after I had posted, I thought about it a bit more and cam to that same conclusion. Matching balls may be an option, but only after one is very skilled in the game.

• alosso
    21,037 Posts
    Tue, Oct 14 2014 11:12 PM

Me thinks that this idea has a standing.

Back in time when the first ever(?) 49 was posted on KIA, the player reported that he used part of the 33 hours he played it to compare club & ball combinations. It worked out, obviously.

It may be different though in everyday games, hopping from course to course. But, grinding for a VUSO or the Virtual Tour - who knows?

• DakotaDog61
    115 Posts
    Wed, Oct 15 2014 4:09 AM

alosso:
    he used part of the 33 hours he played it

And therein lies the answer to almost any question about how to get better....

• JZeman17
    254 Posts
    Wed, Oct 15 2014 9:16 AM

And therein lies the answer to almost any question about how to get better....

Holy Cow!!!   do you mean to say that there is no "magic putter"????  LOL

Only hard work and dedication will breed success.

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Thu, Oct 16 2014 10:03 PM

I've been testing a few balls w/ the Nike 85 irons (spin 3.5, meter 3.5)

I'm getting use to results with the Callaway 37 yellow ball (3 dis. 3.5 spin 2.5 meter)

IMO the meter may be a tad quick, 6 meter total, and a spin total of 7.

I wanted to try a slightly slower meter total, and maybe a little more stick for the Best Of Par 3 games, maybe the Pinehurst greens, so I decided to test out:

the Nike 75 ball  (5 dis. 4 spin 3 meter)

The real interest was testing a slightly slower meter total of 6.5.

Summary:

Nike 85 irons + Cally 37 = 7 spin, 6 meter

(not super sticky, meter a tad quick IMO)

Nike 85 irons + Nike 75 = 7.5 spin, 6.5 meter

(sticky enough for me so far, meter just right, plus the 5 dis. for long drives)

ps I agree with what many pros have suggested that it's not good to have many different types of balls. But I am almost done in the testing phase, and it will be rewarding to get accustomed to the one favored ball as soon as I choose the right one my style.

The Call 37 and Nike are a little similar so the upgrade isn't too severe:

Cally 37 ball (3.5 spin -  2.5 meter)

Nike 75 ball  (4 spin  -  3 meter)

RSS