Forums

Help › Forums

Odd Math

rated by 0 users
Tue, Oct 7 2014 11:21 PM (3 replies)
  • SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Mon, Sep 29 2014 7:07 PM

I suppose we all peruse our stats from time to time. A couple that seem to be haywire for years are average driving distance and average distance to the pin. With the driving average distance, I am at 279 yards, and yet I can't remember a time this year that I averaged less than 300 yards in any game I've played. If I have, it may have been at 295 yards, but not less.

With the average distance to the pin it seems to be very way off. I have been stuck at 14ft forever, and yet, for a small look, I recorded my last 10 games and ended up with a low of 2.9 feet, a high of 11.8 feet, and a 10 game average of 6.22 feet, and this kind of iron play has not suddenly come about over night. If WGT is going to be kind enough to keep track of all these types of things, extreme accuracy would be welcome. ~ SP ~

• siggipj76
    2,989 Posts
    Mon, Sep 29 2014 7:19 PM

Lily , I think that wgt said that there were some odd !! bugs there

My driving avg, still goes up every 3 weeks or so, but my avg. to the pin is stuck , and wgt said that they are working on that.

I think it was wigertoods that mentioned it , and wgt said that it was a bug !

So there is hope , they might fix it soon. 

Who knows what will go wrong then ;) 

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Tue, Oct 7 2014 4:20 PM

SweetiePie:

I suppose we all peruse our stats from time to time. A couple that seem to be haywire for years are average driving distance and average distance to the pin. With the driving average distance, I am at 279 yards, and yet I can't remember a time this year that I averaged less than 300 yards in any game I've played. If I have, it may have been at 295 yards, but not less.

With the average distance to the pin it seems to be very way off. I have been stuck at 14ft forever, and yet, for a small look, I recorded my last 10 games and ended up with a low of 2.9 feet, a high of 11.8 feet, and a 10 game average of 6.22 feet, and this kind of iron play has not suddenly come about over night. If WGT is going to be kind enough to keep track of all these types of things, extreme accuracy would be welcome. ~ SP ~

to add : another 10 games, average distance to pin = 6.37 feet. 20 game average = 6.3 feet and yet my stats are still at 14 feet. Please tend to this. It is a WGT "birth-mark " that can be fixed...others also, but one fix at a time seems possible...yes ?

• alosso
    21,034 Posts
    Tue, Oct 7 2014 11:21 PM

It's about the Law of the big numbers and the stats being valid from the very start.

Didn't want to fiddle with the individual holes, thus I take the games played from your stats.

3700 RRs x 14 ft = 51800 ft cumulated distance before your notes started.

20 RRs x 6.3 ft = 126 ft, the 20 games being not more than 0.5 % of your games.

51926 / 3720 = 13.9586 ft (new average)

In summary, the average reduces by mere 0.041 ft during these 20 games, hiding deep in the decimals. 550 games of 6.3 ft distance to the hole would move the overall average by 1.00 ft.

But:

You're at 13 feet now!

Congratulations! Cheers! Party!!

RSS