Alternatives to "Slot Golf"?

rated by 0 users
Tue, Sep 30 2014 12:54 PM (7 replies)
  • SoKoSteve
    128 Posts
    Sat, Sep 20 2014 7:10 PM

Hey all,

Please move along if you disagree with the following statement:

The scores are roughly decided before one takes his.her first tee shot.

For those who remain, perhaps customer/player advice can fix this monster that WGT has created.  I love the game, but not the drunk who comes home every night and beats me with a flashlight.  Sometimes, I play and I hit the DING continuously.  The finger click matches up and you have that 'feel'.  These rounds, I tend to score just below par as my clubs are not top-notch, nor do I use insanely expensive balls.  I get that.  You want to shoot in the 50s, you've got to shell out the 50s.  Anyhow, the point is that I know my limitations, play for fun within them, and expect to shoot around a certain score with variance, obviously.

However, the variance should be reasonable and should not feel contrived the way it is.  My last round on Merion was a perfect example of not being able to do anything right.  I parred every single front 9 hole.  I had more than a few 2-4 foot putts that didn't drop for birdie.  These are gimmes any other round.  Then, the back 9.  Water found me.  A bunker shot (14 yds @ 30-40%/I hit at 35ish yds) that I make any time suddenly finds the brush on the lip, not catch and snag, but sort of flopped down into it.  It took 3 shots to get out.  Got 5+ on the hole.  Also, the ENTIRE game, I could count the DINGs on one hand!  I normally, as a conservative guess, DING more often than not, so let's say 50%. When you go from 35/70 DINGs to 5/70 DINGs, something's up.  

Anyhow, that's my rant.  Now, to the reason I'm here.  Is there a viable alternative to score manipulation?  Would it be possible to keep the game fair for all without making it simply a slot machine?  Essentially, that's what it is: you pull the handle and wait to see where the ball goes.  This whole "JACKPOT/JACKPOT/BOGIE" crap is getting wearisome (much like these rants, and that's why I think WGT needs some input).

• ApexPC
    3,164 Posts
    Sun, Sep 21 2014 1:25 PM

SoKoSteve:

Hey all,

I didn't need to read any more than that. It's an online forum so anyone is free to comment.

The rest is going to be failed logic and "OMG! It's a conspiracy!" -  nonsense.

It is utterly amazing that so many players cling to such nonsense as an excuse for their game performance. How is it that many, many of the best players - the Tour Legend tier players - playing the least forgiving version of the game can have scoring averages under 60?

My stroke average is only very, very slowly going down in recent weeks, but I know that the problem is me./

The game is as fair as a good online golf game can be, and WGT is not directly manipulating my score.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Sep 21 2014 1:44 PM

SoKoSteve:

I'll be moving along, thank you. 

• ZioMio
    4,680 Posts
    Sun, Sep 21 2014 2:23 PM

YankeeJim:
    I'll be moving along, thank you. 

Hold the Bus Jim, we got a crowd comin'

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Sun, Sep 21 2014 3:33 PM

SoKoSteve:
    You want to shoot in the 50s, you've got to shell out the 50s.

Could be. However, way back when still somewhat new, using all Starter clubs & balls at Kiawah, I carded a 58 and already had a 27 B-9 there. So, it can happen. As for me though, buying new equiptment when level ready, and using top shelf balls, can and do make a difference for me in both play & pleasure. ~ SP ~

• SoKoSteve
    128 Posts
    Tue, Sep 30 2014 7:08 AM

SweetiePie:

SoKoSteve:
    You want to shoot in the 50s, you've got to shell out the 50s.

Could be. However, way back when still somewhat new, using all Starter clubs & balls at Kiawah, I carded a 58 and already had a 27 B-9 there. So, it can happen. As for me though, buying new equiptment when level ready, and using top shelf balls, can and do make a difference for me in both play & pleasure. ~ SP ~

I'm coming back to this thread after playing for a while longer, upgrading equipment, and thoroughly enjoying almost every round these days.  I'm not sure if it was the "precision circle" of my previous clubs, possible lag on my PC causing meter jumps during certain rounds, or me just having a rough go of it, but things are looking up.  I still see guys shooting the lights out with starter clubs, though, and I must say I am bewildered how they do it.  Your 58 is quite impressive for sure with starter equip and balls, I must say, Sweetie.

Anyhow, I was over the top on my "predetermined round" rant that started this thread, and have realized that if there is variance in scoring from round to round, it lies in the players game and equipment for the most part*.

*When a 5.6 ft 1 inch straight downhill put stops short on Trnmt 12 greens when the player smacks it at 6 ft, it ain't just about the player.  I'm sure even the most sychophantic WGTers would acknowledge that to be an unfair - albeit uncommon - aberration.      

• mel1950
    2,887 Posts
    Tue, Sep 30 2014 12:42 PM

There are days when the game plays a bit funny but I have all the best equipment and balls you can get.. They suit my play and at the end of the day I put a lot of the bad play down to me..

I am a Legend , yes.. It took me a long haul to get here,yes... Will I ever make Tour Legend.. No, I don't think so.. Why!!! Because I know I can't shoot in the 58-59 area...

I put all the bad shots down to me and laugh about it.. OK, some of them I think ARE down to WGT programming and VEM.. BUT AT THE END OF THE DAY ITS EXACTLY THE SAME ON A REAL GOLF COURSE.. THE GROUND KEEPER ACCIDENTLY LEAVES BLEMISHES ON THE GREEN AND FAIRWAYS HAVE A LOAD OF LEAVES BLOWING OVER THEM... ETC ETC...

Its a game and in games not everything is perfect!!!!

Play for fun and enjoy it... The ups and the downs.. Have a bad or a "funny"round... Just laugh and put it behind you...

Mel

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Sep 30 2014 12:54 PM

SoKoSteve:
    Anyhow, I was over the top on my "predetermined round" rant that started this thread, and have realized that if there is variance in scoring from round to round, it lies in the players game and equipment for the most part*.

I would say just about everybody has had this thought at one time or another, it's easy to think that. There isn't another golf game quite like this simply because of the browser nature of it-no downloads, play wherever there's a computer. That's much different than something you install on your computer and that's the kind of golf most new players here are used to.

Throw in the the way clubs are deviated, the wind that gusts, the greens that change speeds every day and that progress manipulator (the V thing) and you get a pretty good representation of real golf that's incredibly frustrating. Fortunately for you, you figured that out pretty quick. Good going.  :-)

RSS