Equipment Advice

rated by 0 users
Wed, Sep 24 2014 1:08 PM (10 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Arrod99
    338 Posts
    Fri, Sep 19 2014 9:28 AM

New player. Just made L32 PRO. Current equipment:

L11 R1 Driver, L19 BB 3W, starter 3h, L15 RocketBlades irons, L14 TM 54 and 60 wedges, L19 spider putter and L1 Calloway slow meter ball.

Avg score 68 mostly on St. A in the Sept Tournament from the Yellows.

When should I upgrade clubs and to what?

Thanks in advance.

• ISH47
    1,963 Posts
    Fri, Sep 19 2014 10:16 AM

Really depends on how much money you want to put into it.. or how much time you want to put into mining for the free credits.

I'd wait until I leveled up a bit more if I were you.. and here are the upgrades I'd recommend:

L48 TM R1 Driver

L41 TM R11s 3W

L59 Ping G25 Irons

L38, L39 TM ATV Wedges 54, 60, 64 degree

My personal preference in putters is the Versa Black #1 at any level, but there are cheaper ones that will serve you well such as the L35 Ghost Spider..

I personally used all these clubs and made it to Legend with them.

Hope this helps..

• Arrod99
    338 Posts
    Fri, Sep 19 2014 10:24 AM

Thanks. That is exactly what I was looking for. Do not want to be spending cash all the time for little return.

• SeabrookFlash
    463 Posts
    Fri, Sep 19 2014 10:37 AM

I started to give you a long answer, but then after I looked at your stats, changed my mind. You are currently hitting 80% of your fairways and greens. This is outstanding at any level.  I notice that your 3 putt % is 6.4% which isn't bad either.  the only real areas I can see to improve immediately would be sand saves and scrambling %. In order to do that you need a 64 degree wedge. Ditch the hybrid and get one ASAP.  The Cleveland level 31 64 degree wedge would be a great starting point.  The level 33 Odyssey #1 Black putter would be my choice for a great upgrade and you should see a lot more 1 putts start to fall.  That's all I think you really need, right now.  Then there is the best advice that I can give you ....Practice ...Practice ...Practice..

Good luck ..I hope this helps you  

• MichaelStroke
    2,066 Posts
    Fri, Sep 19 2014 10:48 AM

Arrod99:

New player. Just made L32 PRO. Current equipment:

L11 R1 Driver, L19 BB 3W, starter 3h, L15 RocketBlades irons, L14 TM 54 and 60 wedges, L19 spider putter and L1 Calloway slow meter ball.

Avg score 68 mostly on St. A in the Sept Tournament from the Yellows.

When should I upgrade clubs and to what?

Thanks in advance.

Before I throw in two cents, I'd need to know the answer to one question:  How liberal are you with your credits, from 1 to 10 - one being tight-assed, ten being you in a bar pouring Cristal down some stripper's chest.

If you're a 1, I'd say wait until you're in your 40s.  In that stretch, there is a R1 driver and R11 irons that can take you to legend quite easily, if you truly know how to play.  There are also some pretty putters around that range (Rossa comes to mind) as well as some decent wedges (I think ATV is eligible in that range).  However, the first two purchases, in theory, could last you a very, very long time.

• alosso
    21,037 Posts
    Fri, Sep 19 2014 12:44 PM

A lot of truth being said, I'm going to add a different thought:

These lvl 1 Callies with their 3.5 meter speed look like newbies' traps to me. They ease the game, they are expensive, they lack other characteristics which would enhance the performance.

You may have to face club/ball combinations with faster meters - are you prepared?

Take the Srixons, they are equal or better in the other categories, cost 55 %.

Take my coveted lvl 33 Callies, even better than the latter and still only 80% costs.

As a Pro, I played the Tour-SD, less than 25% of the price, and they served me well.

Think about it to avoid a "cash cow" fate...

Have fun!!

2,111 Posts
    Fri, Sep 19 2014 1:05 PM

Best advice I can give you is!

Wait, save up your credits until you reach a much higher level, say at least in the 50's or 60's before investing in a new set of clubs.  The steel Raptors are quite nice and I used those until I reached Tour Master.  Also the Ping G20's & G25's are a good choice also.  If you can afford it, purchase a decent ball with distance, spin & a meter speed that is at least 2.5.  Some of the medium Callies as mentioned above are a good choice.

I know you will feel a powerful urge to go out and buy some low-to intermediate set of clubs, but the truth is you get what you pay for most of the time, so I'd wait a bit until you are at Least Master Level before committing  a lot of those hard earned credits and instead focus on learning to be the very best with what you have at the moment, your patience will be rewarded I assure you and by then you will hopefully have saved up for that set you really want!!!

Best wishes and good golfing!!!

Phil

• ScottHope
    10,093 Posts
    Fri, Sep 19 2014 2:45 PM

This might help for making comparisons. 

↓↓ EDIT : Thank you Roger.  : ) ↓↓

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Fri, Sep 19 2014 7:29 PM

ScottHope:

This might help for making comparisons. 

Fantastic Info for all to see.....    Well Done mate :)

• derekortt
    656 Posts
    Wed, Sep 24 2014 1:05 PM

right now, you should not be upgrading anything until you reach L42 and can get some better ping wedges. Worry about increasing your credit stash

• PAGES
RSS