Help › Forums

Royal & Ancient Votes to admit female members

rated by 0 users
Sat, Sep 20 2014 3:30 AM (13 replies)
  • PAGES
  • DakotaDog61
    115 Posts
    Thu, Sep 18 2014 2:27 PM

"The Royal and Ancient Golf Club at St. Andrews is no longer just for men.

The R&A became the latest golf club to end years of male-only exclusivity on Thursday when its members voted overwhelmingly in favour of inviting women. The vote was effective immediately.

“I can confirm that The Royal & Ancient Golf of St. Andrews is now a mixed membership club,” R&A secretary Peter Dawson said in a statement."

'bout time. Nuff said.

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Fri, Sep 19 2014 2:03 AM

I just heard this.  Very Good News.

Just curious, does anybody know what the membership fees are?

-Roger

• alosso
    21,034 Posts
    Fri, Sep 19 2014 3:52 AM

mantis0014:
    Just curious, does anybody know what the membership fees are?

If you have to ask, you're not elegible.

(just kidding)

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Fri, Sep 19 2014 7:40 AM

DakotaDog61:

Strange as it may sound, I don't like it. I like tradition. I love and appreciate men and what they like & do. I appreciate women more when they return to what they should do...

• MichaelStroke
    2,066 Posts
    Fri, Sep 19 2014 11:30 AM

SweetiePie:

DakotaDog61:

Strange as it may sound, I don't like it. I like tradition. I love and appreciate men and what they like & do. I appreciate women more when they return to what they should do...

It's just a sign of the times.  Augusta wasn't going anywhere (nor was the Masters), but they still felt the need to bend to social pressure.

It's just going to keep escalating.  Thanks a lot, Ray Rice.

• alosso
    21,034 Posts
    Fri, Sep 19 2014 12:12 PM

IMHO, Augusta had the problem of Condoleezza, and that some of their usual CEO members were replaced by women.

Provoking Q @Sweets: Did you like the "no dogs, no women" mentality?

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Fri, Sep 19 2014 3:22 PM

alosso:

IMHO, Augusta had the problem of Condoleezza, and that some of their usual CEO members were replaced by women.

Provoking Q @Sweets: Did you like the "no dogs, no women" mentality?

Well Mr. A, I'm provoked. I enjoy the simplicity of the word "private" and all it may imply. If a private club of any kind adopts a charter in mutual agreement and installs rules that exclude anything of any nature by discernment, it simply cannot be of my concern nor business. Whether it is esoteric,clandestine or private, no one should meddle or have interest in a change that may satisfy them but not the established preferances of the membership.  Yes?  ;-}

• Mushy01
    2,567 Posts
    Fri, Sep 19 2014 5:58 PM

SORRY,

I go along with Miss SP on this one, may be old man traditional mentality,

sad I think :-( 

• alosso
    21,034 Posts
    Fri, Sep 19 2014 10:18 PM

While I agree that privacy and dedication/decision for a certain setting is perfectly legal for a private organisation (my CC is exclusive and excluding in a certain aspect, too), I think that bodies like the R&A have to follow suit to their public action in their internal affairs - they cannot host the Ladies Open Championship and keep the club & clubhouse exclusive to men, IMHO.

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Fri, Sep 19 2014 10:28 PM

SweetiePie:
    Well Mr. A, I'm provoked. I enjoy the simplicity of the word "private" and all it may imply. If a private club of any kind adopts a charter in mutual agreement and installs rules that exclude anything of any nature by discernment, it simply cannot be of my concern nor business. Whether it is esoteric,clandestine or private, no one should meddle or have interest in a change that may satisfy them but not the established preferances of the membership.  Yes?  ;-}

Dear me Sp...

What a great statement you have written there.

It's the sign of the modern error when everything has to be equal between us all and there is nothing wrong with that.

I agree and also disagree...  Golf is something we all do and all clubs,  whether it be Private or not should be open to any Membership regardless of Gender. Just my Opinion

I do Luv your reply though :)

-Roger

• PAGES
RSS