Forums

Help › Forums

Scotland welcomes the ryder cup .Gleneagles .

rated by 0 users
Tue, Sep 16 2014 6:30 AM (10 replies)
  • PAGES
  • craigswan
    30,969 Posts
    Sun, Sep 14 2014 11:56 AM

I took a stroll on a September evening that was appropriately damp and gloomy with a chill in the air that seeped into your bones and warranted the coat ,  gloves and scarf i wore. I made my way along a dirt passageway lit by flickering torches along the walls of the subterranean cellar. I lingered at the entrance of a tiny darkened room, once occupied by a cobbler and his family of sixteen. Three hundred years ago, these underground vaults housed dozens of families who spent their lives living without sun and fresh air, several feet below the bustling town above.

Suddenly, I felt three sharp tugs on the back of my coat. Whirling around, the passage behind me was empty. As the goosebumps rose on my arms, I quickly made my way back to where I started  (actually, I ran) .

It is said that a poltergeist haunts . I decided to  see for myself. It was a bitterly cold, moonless September  night when I experienced strange feelings of dread and urges to run over the course of my walk through the cemetery. I can honestly say that walking  that night was one of the scariest experiences I’ve ever had. Nothing unusual seemed to happen. I didn’t see anything scary. I didn’t hear anything scary. I felt terrified for reasons that revealed themselves the next day. While taking a shower the next morning, I found dark bruises circling my left forearm. The marks resembled those that fingers would make if someone had grabbed my wrist really hard. But no one had grabbed me really hard – at least, no one I could discern with my five senses.

• ithurtswnipee
    891 Posts
    Sun, Sep 14 2014 4:05 PM

Go see the new resident WGT doctor. I hear he is pretty good.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Sep 14 2014 4:24 PM

Is this a prelude to something historical to Scotland and the Ryder Cup or Gleneagles? Something akin to the Ghosts of St. Andrews perhaps? 

p.s., Got the creeps reading that, Craig.  ;-)

• tiffer67
    1,764 Posts
    Sun, Sep 14 2014 4:45 PM

I think what Craig is trying to say that should Scotland's inhospitable weather conspire against the golfing community next week then the American players will feel much like the families mentioned, no sunshine and feeling of dread leaving the clubhouse to play :O)

• Lobsterboy
    4,729 Posts
    Sun, Sep 14 2014 5:20 PM

YankeeJim:
    Is this a prelude to something historical to Scotland

September 18th 2014 . . . Scotland's Independence Day :)

• craigswan
    30,969 Posts
    Mon, Sep 15 2014 5:44 AM

Gleneagles hotel - Reviewed .

I worked for a summer season - four months - at the Gleneagles Hotel, . Mr Sinclair [ the manager ] picked my friend and i up from the station. He had a gruff manner, but seemed quite a nice man. I did not realise what I would witness over the next few months.

We started early and finished late, with a few hours off in the afternoon. We made and served early morning teas, cleaned the lounge and dining room, served breakfasts, cleaned the bedrooms and, in the early evening, prepared salads and so on and served dinners, after which we washed and dried cutlery, finishing around 10.30pm.

There was no porter, night porter, lunch-time bar person or still room assistant. All these roles were performed, in a fashion, by Mr Sinclair. When Mr Sinclair covered the still room duties at breakfast, making teas and coffees for the restaurant, guests would have finished eating their breakfast before their tea was made. If you tried to rush him, you would be shouted at."

"He went up and down the tables like a policeman, questioning the guests. He came across a set of teapots at a table for two. He realised because of their size they were meant for a table for four, and he asked the guests for a description of the waiter.

"He was bonkers.

They employed a barman only in the evenings, the bar being covered by Mr Sinclair at lunch time, though he was regularly late opening it. Mostly guests would wait patiently, but on one occasion some went to find Mr Sinclair. He eventually appeared and was heard to mutter how ridiculous it was people drinking at this time of the day - "bunch of cowboys". 

One evening, around 10.45, a young mother was pressing the night porter service button at reception. After about 15 minutes, Mr Sinclair appeared in his dressing gown. When the guest asked if she could have a flask of hot water to heat her baby's bottle, he proceeded to berate her for getting him out of bed for such a trivial request.

The following day they were eagerly awaiting the arrival of the band to start the evening's dancing, as advertised in the hotel brochure.

When, an hour after it was supposed to start, there was still no sign of any music, the guests, who had put on their evening attire, complained.

"So Sinclair simply marched into the room, dumped a record player, with no records, in the middle of the floor, then he stormed off,"

Guests  also recalled their attempts to order fresh strawberries and cream from the hotel menu for four nights in a row. "The first night we were told they were off, the second we were told they were finished, the third night we were told they were off and on the fourth night we were told they were finished.

• WigerToods2010
    8,445 Posts
    Mon, Sep 15 2014 5:54 AM

craigswan:
    Gleneagles hotel - Reviewed .

Don't be putting folk off visiting dear ole Scotland, Craig.

Where exactly in Scotland is Torquay?

LMAO

• oilyrag
    875 Posts
    Tue, Sep 16 2014 3:06 AM

WigerToods2010:

Where exactly in Scotland is Torquay?

LMAO

I stayed at the EEL LEG SANG hotel once ....... that was in torquay, scotland ..... :)

• WigerToods2010
    8,445 Posts
    Tue, Sep 16 2014 3:55 AM

;)

• craigswan
    30,969 Posts
    Tue, Sep 16 2014 5:41 AM

Tom Watson, who actually hit the longest drive in his entire life at Gleneagles. He played the pro-celebrity programme that they used to do at Gleneagles and on the 18th at the King's..the par five down the hill, he hit it 494 yards and outdrove craigswan by six yards!

Thank goodness he is not playing .

Its creator, Jack Nicklaus, once labelled it “the finest parcel of land I’ve ever been given to work with”.

Thank goodness he is not playing .

• PAGES
RSS