Back spin on pitch shots

rated by 0 users
Mon, Sep 15 2014 12:37 PM (18 replies)
  • PAGES
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Sep 11 2014 9:36 AM

Safdar1:
    I will work on understanding my current wedges better for pitching, and the impact of spin, and how green slopes impact roll out.

Start by using full back spin and find out what happens. This will be the shortest the club will go. Once you're comfortable with that distance you'll be able to release the spin in increments to get the yardage you want.

The 4th green on BPB front is a really good place to learn what your pitches can do. Get to the fairway hole high to the right about 10-12 yards away and you'll be pitching to a long, flat surface. With the mulligan feature I bet you're a whiz in one ball.  ;-)

• Safdar1
    454 Posts
    Thu, Sep 11 2014 12:47 PM

You read my mind :) I did this today on kiawah (11 i think) as per a recommendation in a thread, it was a fairly flat and large green, helped me map out my pitches and the use of spin.

I am now looking at slope, ie how much to add or take off depending on the severity of the up/downhill slope. 

As well as looking at impact of rough % on the lie, the other thing will be green elevation ie is it 2ft above my lie etc. Any tips on this would be appreciated lots.

So much to think about just for understanding one shot :)

The challenge is what makes it interesting :)

• SplashLewis
    358 Posts
    Fri, Sep 12 2014 10:28 AM

I got this from another thread.  Don't remember who made it, but it's perfect for the Clevelands

• ScottHope
    10,077 Posts
    Sat, Sep 13 2014 1:36 AM

SplashLewis:
    I got this from another thread.  Don't remember who made it, but it's perfect for the Clevelands  

I believe that might be a ChrisIronsBones production.

• ScottHope
    10,077 Posts
    Sat, Sep 13 2014 1:37 AM

Oops, double post.  : )

• tiffer67
    1,764 Posts
    Sun, Sep 14 2014 7:45 AM

Irrespective of how much or little run your ball gets when pitching, you have to become as proficient as your ability allows with this shot.

Once you have a good understanding of where your ball will land, how it will react first bounce and the subsequent roll it gets, you will start holing a lot more shots from around the green. Players have obsessions over stopping their ball as quickly as possible when actually the ball rolling towards the cup is a good thing. The pitch shot really is just an extension of your putting :O)

• Safdar1
    454 Posts
    Mon, Sep 15 2014 12:08 PM

That is true tiffer, especially when at lower levels you have no choice but to roll your pitches, it makes you have to work out what the ball is going to do. I get the feeling that pitching on an uphill slope has less variables than pitching to a downhill slope, the ball can go for miiiiles....

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Sep 15 2014 12:24 PM

Safdar1:
    I get the feeling that pitching on an uphill slope has less variables than pitching to a downhill slope, the ball can go for miiiiles....

Good feeling to have. I've found that if you're pitching where the roll is a concern, i.e., downhill like the 3rd shot from short of the green on SA 14 where the green slopes front to back, the flop does a good job of getting close. 

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Mon, Sep 15 2014 12:37 PM

Safdar1:

That is true tiffer, especially when at lower levels you have no choice but to roll your pitches, it makes you have to work out what the ball is going to do. I get the feeling that pitching on an uphill slope has less variables than pitching to a downhill slope, the ball can go for miiiiles....

I had success when I preferred a pitch I was below the pin on Oly  #7, and I had to go forward up the green hill to the hole. The last time I had to pull that I used my trusty flop but I screwed it up and the ball didn't clear the hill and rolled back. The pitch seemed to travel as calculated.

• PAGES
RSS