Help › Forums

Back spin on pitch shots

rated by 0 users
Mon, Sep 15 2014 12:37 PM (18 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Safdar1
    454 Posts
    Mon, Sep 8 2014 6:55 PM

I have heard in the forums people (high levels with good wedges I presume) saying their pitch shots just stop and don't roll with full back spin.

I tried that with my taylor made L39 Wedge (i am level around 59) which has 3.5 spin I think, and my nike ball with 4 spin, and on a pitch that went say 24 yards (carry and roll) with no spin on a flat green (think it was St A 8 or 9, the huge flat green), and with FULL BS it went only a yard shorter. ie it still rolled around 8 yards instead of 9 with no/medium spin.

Am I missing something, I realise the higher clubs will have higher spin, but its not really a HUGE amount more than my equipment I would assume?

Or does St A just have very hard and fast greens where BS doesn't make much difference?

Thanks

• spdemon
    1,588 Posts
    Tue, Sep 9 2014 10:12 AM

Safdar1:
    Am I missing something, I realise the higher clubs will have higher spin, but its not really a HUGE amount more than my equipment I would assume?

Yeah med/high vs high traj. is the big difference 

even my 64 cleveland will hop a yard or 2 with full bs i use the callies though but the 60 degree rolls more (its 25 yrds pitch) just have to learn the shot but better wedges will stop sooner and i think faster on slower greens as well

• IRISHPUNK
    4,019 Posts
    Tue, Sep 9 2014 10:27 AM

Are you hitting to an elevated green?  Does the green slope down?  Is the wind in your face?  Lot's of things to factor and of course it takes practice. 

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Tue, Sep 9 2014 10:49 AM

Safdar1:

I have heard in the forums people (high levels with good wedges I presume) saying their pitch shots just stop and don't roll with full back spin.

I tried that with my taylor made L39 Wedge (i am level around 59) which has 3.5 spin I think, and my nike ball with 4 spin, and on a pitch that went say 24 yards (carry and roll) with no spin on a flat green (think it was St A 8 or 9, the huge flat green), and with FULL BS it went only a yard shorter. ie it still rolled around 8 yards instead of 9 with no/medium spin.

Or does St A just have very hard and fast greens where BS doesn't make much difference?

Thanks

his

spin is not how long it'll go (well, it is but more complex). spin allows you more control over your shot. with high end clubs, you can hit full bs on almost any pitch and have it stop pretty fast (there are exceptions though - depending on wind/spot/elevation/slope, green speed, etc). or you can hit with ts or ns and have it run 5-10 yards...

that's the main different - amount of control

-wgticon

• tigerfan1506
    3,193 Posts
    Tue, Sep 9 2014 11:15 AM

I think you are confusing *pitch* with *punch*. 

A 24 yard punch shot, with that wedge, will check up pretty nice with a Nike

• Safdar1
    454 Posts
    Wed, Sep 10 2014 7:38 AM

No, definitely read it for pitch shots on more than one occasion, not punch.

I think it may be the high vs med/high elevation mentioned above, i was just curious, i guess I will have to learn rolling the ball on the green : )

Until I am able to buy the legendary clevelands, but they seem quite far ahead on the horizon for me lol

• spdemon
    1,588 Posts
    Wed, Sep 10 2014 6:17 PM

Safdar1:

No, definitely read it for pitch shots on more than one occasion, not punch.

I think it may be the high vs med/high elevation mentioned above, i was just curious, i guess I will have to learn rolling the ball on the green : )

Until I am able to buy the legendary clevelands, but they seem quite far ahead on the horizon for me lol

The max wedges are pretty close to them bro might want to give them a shot till then

• SamanthaWho
    3,403 Posts
    Wed, Sep 10 2014 9:09 PM

I've never seen a pitch shot, even with high end ATV's or Clevelands stop dead.

• Safdar1
    454 Posts
    Thu, Sep 11 2014 9:06 AM

I did another long search of the forums and it appears what was said was that pitch shot can stop dead after one or two bounces (so Samantha and others above you were right).

I read that as stopping dead, so my misinterpretation.

However that is still a huge difference for what I can do with my equipment. Rather than get the max spin wedges (which DO look good for my level, but it is money I don't want to spend right now) I will work on understanding my current wedges better for pitching, and the impact of spin, and how green slopes impact roll out.

I am guessing that working hard to understand current equipment will stand me in better stead (in terms of experience and general know how) when I do eventually upgrade the wedges.

• StingerWelsh
    1,021 Posts
    Thu, Sep 11 2014 9:29 AM

Safdar1:
    I am guessing that working hard to understand current equipment will stand me in better stead (in terms of experience and general know how) when I do eventually upgrade the wedges.

Couldn't agree more.  Well said, sir.

• PAGES
RSS