Help › Forums

Where do you moved the spin dot to? Nike Platinum ball

rated by 0 users
Fri, Sep 12 2014 12:29 PM (4 replies)
  • JordzNZ
    75 Posts
    Mon, Sep 1 2014 11:51 PM

Hey all....

I have just purchased the nike platinum balls and just thought i would ask other players who use them where they move the spin dot to, to get the desired yardage. I normally have it just above the grass line (with my old nikes) but the few practice rounds and CC tourny i played with the platinums i just couldn't get my yardage. Was coming up way short and then with shorter irons spinning back. Any thoughts/ tips appreciated 

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Tue, Sep 2 2014 3:30 PM

JordzNZ:

Any thoughts/ tips appreciated 

I'm not the pro, but my shots are normal yardage when I use irons of 3 or 3.5 and balls of 3.5. (7 total)

[the following examples and observations are in a no wind situation, because tailwind & frontwind changes everything]

If you have those irons of 4 spin plus the balls of 5 spin (9 total), too much BS, generally, will send the ball UP more that OUT so you are losing yardage.

With a total of 9 spin, I might only use a tad BS, if any, or a little or moderate TS. (depending on the situation

Cleves w/ 4.5 spin and high traj. or any short irons, which are higher so they don't roll out forward as much, might be expected to spin back. I've heard many players say they never use BS on the 80 and 60 yd cleves w/ balls of high spin.

Many people have been saying the costly, higher distance and spin balls are falling short, but I believe part of that is because their irons have great spin and they are in the habit of always using BS which may not be so necessary when the ball and the iron clubface provides enough already.

-------

excerpts from my other posts

" * one top player had

NIKE 20XI-X RZN  (L61+)  (3.5 spin) w/ Nike 97 irons (4.5 spin = 8 total) good value

** many top members are using

NIKE (90 or 92)  (4.6 spin) w/ Nike 97 irons (4.5 spin) = 9.1 spin total

[I'm guessing that when you have that much spin, you're not moving the spin dot back as much as you did when you had less total spin value, and even occasionally a little more so forward, depending on the circumstance] "

spin and wind:

http://www.wgt.com/forums/p/229998/1843932.aspx#1843932

spin, wind and extra distance

http://www.wgt.com/forums/p/222804/1843907.aspx#1843907

But lets see if the pros can tell us what works for them.

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Sat, Sep 6 2014 4:39 PM

Some good insight here using the R11 by derekortt who replied to 700 CREDIT NIKE'S

• SplashLewis
    357 Posts
    Fri, Sep 12 2014 10:51 AM

JFidanza:

" * one top player had

NIKE 20XI-X RZN  (L61+)  (3.5 spin) w/ Nike 97 irons (4.5 spin = 8 total) good value

This is my combo.  Here is the beauty of the high level clubs and medium level spin balls.

1) I use full BS on all my iron shots.  that way there is a consistency of where the dot is and its easy to map.  There is virtually no roll back and not much roll forward, so there is a tighter window of yardage in which I can depend on my ball being, reduced vem

2) with this ball and the Cleveland wedges, you can basically hit the ball without any added BS on shots over 80% power.  If you need the ball to roll back, you still have enough spin rating on the ball and clubs to do that.

3) when the level 97's came out, the high spin balls were very inconsistent, so I had to go back to my R11's with high spin balls.  I'm not sure if wgt adjusted the behavior of the 97's with high spin balls combo.  Also, it cost extra $ money for those balls

4) Cost.  these 3.5 spin balls are almost half the price of the higher spin balls.  if callaway made a 3.5 spin ball with good distance, it would be even cheaper.  If you play match play, its important to shoot second.  you do that by outdriving your opponent.  In MP use the lvl61 nikes, in stroke play use the 3.5 spin callaways.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Fri, Sep 12 2014 12:29 PM

Platinum. The name is just. It is a ball that the high skill player will embrace. The spin of the ball responds to the most gentle itsy-bitsy increments of movement; up or down. Most likely the best of all the balls. I use it, but a little more with the black...I just like to bomb the driver...;-}

RSS